General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

THE M6 MOTORWAY

Search this Thread

Old 20-10-2006, 09:53 PM
redrsmk5
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE M6 MOTORWAY

ok.... two major accidents inside a week with lives lost. Yet Again today from 3 pm the motorway has major delays from an accident. The delays started at junction 15 (stoke) up to 21(warrington) about 50 miles in total, ive just got in and its still delayed 7 hours later.
The accident earlier in the week which took 3 lives closed both carriageways for 5 hours +.There seems to be more accidents in the midlands - north west stretch of the M6 than any other and they always seem to be fatal. Its time that this part of the motorway and i hate to say this believe me but i feel it needs a larger Police presence before other lives are lost. Or instead of this and i know some will say no due to the billions it will cost but why not dual tier the full length of the M6???? lorries/Coaches on the bottom and cars/vans/bikes on the top. Yes it will cost billions of that i have no doubt but this motorway runs a fair length of the country and never stops....billions for what i see as a simple idea but probably cheaper than the price of a life.

Rant over sorry for going on just hate seeing people die needlessly.......Thanks
Old 20-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear bad news

but im gonna be on there tommorow so can the police presence happen after that as im running late as it is without getting that happen

drive carefull kids
Old 20-10-2006, 09:58 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

That motorway does need imroving in my opinion. It's usually far too busy.
Old 20-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Dan B

I caught the top-end of that tonight, possibly, travelling from Manchester city-centre west along the M602, then two junctions northbound on the M60, took me 2.5 hours for a 12-mile trip.

And it's only going to get worse, if the Labour transport-minister has his way (from a news article a while back), and allows a MASSIVE increase in the size of juggernauts allowed on UK roads (apparently, it's being considered allowing the US-style "road-train" trucks to travel on UK roads).
Old 20-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Yup less cameras and more traffic cops!!! im in favour of that.

On way to AJ's my cruise will be set to 75mph and just going to waft along, safe and efficent motoring
Old 20-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Rhys
Yup less cameras and more traffic cops!!! im in favour of that.

On way to AJ's my cruise will be set to 75mph and just going to waft along, safe and efficent motoring
And about 140 odd from mine to blackpool
Old 20-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

PMSL!

i cant go fast in the BM atm anyway needs a service least its booked in for next Wednesday.

M6 is a nightmare though!!!
Old 20-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i can always get to liverpool in 3 hours,,, ive never had a issue on there tbh

its the fucking M1 thats a cunt !!!!!

5 and a half hours to get back from pool

3 and a half was on the fucking m1 from junction 15 to 6
Old 20-10-2006, 11:10 PM
STUCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Reds the accident earlier in the week which took 3 lives,i know the loor drive who was involved,he also lost his life,he had a heart attack ,these things cant be helped,not like some accidents,which are man made and there fore not an accident in my books

cheeRS stu
Old 20-10-2006, 11:27 PM
Billy Sasterd
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by Dan B
And it's only going to get worse, if the Labour transport-minister has his way (from a news article a while back), and allows a MASSIVE increase in the size of juggernauts allowed on UK roads (apparently, it's being considered allowing the US-style "road-train" trucks to travel on UK roads).
Road trains in the states? Been there 40+ times and never seen one yet. And would they cause more congestion here?
Old 20-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Diseasel
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

The cost to the nation anually is over Ł16bn for accidents and Ł1m per death .
The M6 is far to busy and the way people drive doesn't help at all, how many times do you see the inside lane virtually empty and every other fucker in the middle lane od doing 65mph in the outside lane for mile after mile
Old 21-10-2006, 12:06 AM
Alan s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Diseasel
The cost to the nation anually is over Ł16bn for accidents and Ł1m per death .
The M6 is far to busy and the way people drive doesn't help at all, how many times do you see the inside lane virtually empty and every other fucker in the middle lane od doing 65mph in the outside lane for mile after mile
Im a HGV driver and i do night trunking and i agree i have even seen the police doing this on the M4 Not traffic cops just reglur cops
Old 21-10-2006, 01:25 AM
Dan B

Originally Posted by Billy Sasterd
Road trains in the states? Been there 40+ times and never seen one yet. And would they cause more congestion here?
Only been there once, and saw a few, so I guess it depends where you go...

And it's not so much congestion that they'd cause, but the increased weight of them would do more damage to our already-damaged roads......which is going to be a contributing factor in some accidents (bumps, ruts, pot-holes, etc).

Oh, and seems the article I remembered was from longer ago than I thought --> (link)
Old 21-10-2006, 06:52 AM
scottbrown

Originally Posted by Billy Sasterd
Only been there once, and saw a few, so I guess it depends where you go...

And it's not so much congestion that they'd cause, but the increased weight of them would do more damage to our already-damaged roads......which is going to be a contributing factor in some accidents (bumps, ruts, pot-holes, etc).

Oh, and seems the article I remembered was from longer ago than I thought --> (link)
they have been looking at upping our maximum weight fromm 44t to 60t. the idea being that yes there would be a slight incease in road wear but with the latest air suspension the damage will be minimal. but think how much fewer journeys there will be, hence easing congestion

the prob is not usually the trucks its the cars that you see everyday on the m6 at 70+ an inch from the car infrronts bumper. you have no reaction or stopping time.

take it steady guys the roads are a dangerous place
Old 21-10-2006, 09:35 AM
STUCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Most trucks on our roads have a gdw weight that is far gratter than the maximum allowed gtw in uk,remember our cousins in holland are allowed 50tonnes, if you ever been abroad in the eu you will see in most cases they are a better class of driver,in the uk drivers are so impacient and cant judge stopping distances and speed of other vehicles,sorry about the spelling

cheeRS stu
Old 21-10-2006, 10:01 AM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

WHAT DRAINS THE HELL OUT OF ME IS THE IDIOTS THAT INSIST ON SITTING IN THE MIDDLE LANE, EVEN WHEN THERE IS NOTHING TO OVERTAKE.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It clogs the Mway and forces people to undertake, get angry and accidents happen from this.

So many times I have seen people undertake the dogdick sat in the middle lane, then the dogdick swings into the slow lane just as they pass
Old 21-10-2006, 11:56 AM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Our current roads cannot take 60 tonne GTW trucks. Simple as. They are worn out with 44 tonne GTW trucks anyway. Our roads are not constructed like the roads in the EU. Ours are a lot thinner so can't handle the weight. I believe the roads in Germany are twice as thick as our.
Old 21-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Topics like this make me whince.

Some of the standard of driving is terrible,
50mph middle lane hoggers and the 100+ inches off your bumper gang.

Somebody says they should double-tier the M6, great idea, how does it get financed and no doubt youll also be moaning for 2 years because there will probably be roadworks to slow you journey down.

I have said for the past 2 or 3 years, i would love to have a copper or camera in my cab, because i see at least 3 very dangerous driving offences every working day, its just a shame no-one who could do something about it is present.
Old 21-10-2006, 01:32 PM
scottbrown

Originally Posted by Big G

Somebody says they should double-tier the M6, great idea, how does it get financed and no doubt youll also be moaning for 2 years because there will probably be roadworks to slow you journey down.

I have said for the past 2 or 3 years, i would love to have a copper or camera in my cab, because i see at least 3 very dangerous driving offences every working day, its just a shame no-one who could do something about it is present.

problem is the cops spend too much time looking for speeders, not the people who are doing things as above.

I seen a vectra get pulled at 0230 wednesday morning coming south bound around m62 junction. yes he must have been dong an easy 90/100 but there was no fucker around so what harm was he doing?

none to my mind.

before it is said, I dont think it was stolen as as soon as the blues came on he pulled straight into the hard shoulder
Old 21-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Originally Posted by scottbrown
Originally Posted by Big G

problem is the cops spend too much time looking for speeders, not the people who are doing things as above.

I seen a vectra get pulled at 0230 wednesday morning coming south bound around m62 junction. yes he must have been dong an easy 90/100 but there was no fucker around so what harm was he doing?

none to my mind.

before it is said, I dont think it was stolen as as soon as the blues came on he pulled straight into the hard shoulder
It doesn't matter whether he was 'doing no harm', he was breaking the speed limit and the police are there to uphold the law. What do you think would happen if the cops turned a blind eye to every case like this? Think about it.