General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FFS Im still not sure what to do RE My bike...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts
Default FFS Im still not sure what to do RE My bike...

Sorry for being a pain, but even tho ive said id take bike back ive still got this in my head:

I bought the bike in good faith, but after closer inspection i suspected it had been down on the right....bugger i thought but fook it cos i got it at a good price and chose not to inspect further....

Hes bought it off me in good faith KNOWING it has been down on the right and chose NOT to have it inspected fully even tho he knows hes been dropped....

Hes looked into it further and found out the damage is worse than it looked....got at at a bargain price a LOT less than what i paid and a lot less than its worth if undamaged.. He took his chances...

But i have to lose out?

its bugging me to fook this
Old 01-10-2006, 07:43 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

he had the chance to get it checked over Lee, he chose not too.

his loss imo.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by dave cos4x4
he had the chance to get it checked over Lee, he chose not too.

his loss imo.
thats what i keep thinking even though i feel shit about it and have offered to take it back
Old 01-10-2006, 07:45 PM
peteh
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you sold it and now have it back? did i miss a post?
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You bought it in good faith knowing it had been down. He bought it from you knowing it had been down,. Hes just trying it on. His loss, you got nothing to feel bad about.
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Youve already agreed to take it back .... Which it has to be said WAS big of you.... Surely you cant go back on your word now?? Can you?
Old 01-10-2006, 07:47 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

if he is a new rider how can he tell if its bent.

you could not tell could you.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Damo V
Youve already agreed to take it back .... Which it has to be said WAS big of you.... Surely you cant go back on your word now?? Can you?
i rang him and said if it came to it id consider taking it back, but can we come to a compromise? He rang later saying hed rather me take it back...i was hopeing for a compormise tbh...i mean its not my fault but i was willing to give a little...but hes not willing to give at all

jesus
Old 01-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

if he is a new rider how can he tell if its bent.

you could not tell could you.
his dads been riding 30+ years and said it rides perfect...but cos the frame apparantly has been filled its no good.. i knew it had been painted but not filled
Old 01-10-2006, 07:50 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

ring him up now and tell him tough shit.

get it out of your system.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:51 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Lee,

i sell you my cossie with a blown headgasket. You know that, but you still choose to buy it. You take head off and find the head is warped because the car overheated which caused a headgasket failure. Would you expect me to take the cossie back because the head is warped, even though you bought it knowing there was a headgasket failure. Would you have the balls to even ask me. i would say get lost, you bought it knowing the problem and what other problems a headgasket failure brings with it.

He bought a bike that had been down, so he must also know that there may be other problems as well, due to the bike being damaged. Just as you knew when you bought it. So why have you agreed to take it back. He chose to buy it knowing it was damaged. Phone him back, say you've had a chance to think about it and you dont want it back
Old 01-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

god this gets harder

theres more people saying tell him its his problem....even lindsay has just phoned me from work saying she doesnt think i should take it back..but the nice guy in me(believe it or not lol) says take it back
Old 01-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

TBH, if they had arranged for a full inspection to be carried out this probably would have been discovered.... They didnt ... their loss.... Buyer beware IMO... you could take it back (providing it wont have an extra owner on the book) then simply advertise it elsewhere let someone else take it away sold as seen,....

TBH where you have scuppered yourself IMO was by stating in your ad you knew it had been down but not mentioning frame issues.... not your fault I know, on the other hand, if they knew it had been put on the deck, they should have stripped to inspect before handing over cash IMO....

Tough one, I would be tempted to tell him to burn it and claim on his insurance I guess the bike isnt on the hit list then??
Old 01-10-2006, 07:56 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Nice guy inside or not. Why are you even entertaining the idea. If you had sold the bike NOT knowing it was damaged, then maybe, but you knew and so did the buyer. Case closed
Old 01-10-2006, 07:58 PM
peteh
PassionFord Post Whore!!

He knew it had been down the road and repaired, so it being filled to be fixed/repaired is not your problem!

he knew this and brought it, HIS problem, drove ok for you didn't it?
Old 01-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

TBH, if they had arranged for a full inspection to be carried out this probably would have been discovered.... They didnt ... their loss.... Buyer beware IMO... you could take it back (providing it wont have an extra owner on the book) then simply advertise it elsewhere let someone else take it away sold as seen,....

TBH where you have scuppered yourself IMO was by stating in your ad you knew it had been down but not mentioning frame issues.... not your fault I know, on the other hand, if they knew it had been put on the deck, they should have stripped to inspect before handing over cash IMO....

Tough one, I would be tempted to tell him to burn it and claim on his insurance I guess the bike isnt on the hit list then??
no not on the hpi Damo....just goes to show!
Old 01-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by peteh
He knew it had been down the road and repaired, so it being filled to be fixed/repaired is not your problem!

he knew this and brought it, HIS problem, drove ok for you didn't it?
It drove as any other ive rode(not many BTW lol) but even his dad said it rode as expected and straight!
Old 01-10-2006, 08:07 PM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Like the people say if he knew it had been down the road on its side b4 handing over the cash its HIS fault for not having a proper inspection done BEFORE handing over the ŁŁŁŁ....

Plus surely the log book has been sent off so if you have it back it'll have his name on the book and then you'll have to change the log bok back to you... thus putting 2 extra owners on it!!!!

Steve
Old 01-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

TBH if I was looking at buying a car which had been painted I would be EXTRA vigilant with it ie by making thoroughly sure the damage didnt run deeper.... Sounds to me like the pair of em (dad and son) are a couple of muppets.... imo...
Old 01-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

dodgy fooker

Personally I wouldnt take it back... It was sold and as said, he should have had it inspected ect..!!

He'll just sell it on anyway if you dont take it back
Old 01-10-2006, 08:11 PM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds

THAT just goes to show HPi isn't all it cracked up to be!!!!!

Guy drops bike fixes himself outta his pocket... not on HPi
Guy drops bike goes thru insurance...... ends up on HPi

Good luck with whatever you choose Lee
Old 01-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Steve_B

THAT just goes to show HPi isn't all it cracked up to be!!!!!

Guy drops bike fixes himself outta his pocket... not on HPi
Guy drops bike goes thru insurance...... ends up on HPi

Not true, it wont go on HPI if repaired by insurance co...

It will only go on there if it is an uneconomical repair... ie written off.. in theory Lees bike couldve been repaired by the insurance company to satisfactory standards.....

much the same as buying a car which has been jigged and repaneled by an insurance company (not that I would want one of those either lol)
Old 01-10-2006, 08:19 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

same with any bike,cars etc.....especially sought after cars, peeps get them fixed themselves so not to go on the register.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Im a coward...lol. I just text him how i feel on the situation. He says he knows its shit, and says he did take his chances but didnt expect it to be a covered up right off....Bloody hell it cant be that bad A dented frame? Also says radiator has been bust and bodged... He said it would stil fetch good money for a track bike or something....bloody hell its mint So i said well cant you sell it then...as i stand to lose a LOT more than him as i paid a lot more...

Steve_B

yes thats shit isnt it. Something gets repaired PROPERLY thru insurance yet gets put on hit list... someone bodges something and it can be ages before it gets noticed....
Old 01-10-2006, 08:24 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

so what did he say when you suggested him selling it.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:25 PM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Damo,

I know a guy who ripped most of the rear end off his Saff hititng a lamppost sideways and paid outta his own pocket to have it repaired....IF he had gone thru the insurance it WOULD have been writen off 100% this is the sort of thing I mean, I know that if a car has a repair it only goes on HPI as a write off if its written off / unecomical repair.... that what I ment with above case I wrote (couldn't be bothered with writing an essay tho.....lol, I leave those to Ginge )
Old 01-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Im

yes thats shit isnt it. Something gets repaired PROPERLY thru insurance yet gets put on hit list...
As above, this is not the case..... Only if they are written of/stolen and paid out etc do they appear on the "hit list"
Old 01-10-2006, 08:26 PM
peteh
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Im a coward...lol. I just text him how i feel on the situation. He says he knows its shit, and says he did take his chances but didnt expect it to be a covered up right off....Bloody hell it cant be that bad A dented frame? Also says radiator has been bust and bodged... He said it would stil fetch good money for a track bike or something....bloody hell its mint So i said well cant you sell it then...as i stand to lose a LOT more than him as i paid a lot more...

Steve_B

yes thats shit isnt it. Something gets repaired PROPERLY thru insurance yet gets put on hit list... someone bodges something and it can be ages before it gets noticed....
NOW he's having a good look round it should have done it before he gave you the money, tell him to bollox
Old 01-10-2006, 08:28 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Im

yes thats shit isnt it. Something gets repaired PROPERLY thru insurance yet gets put on hit list...
As above, this is not the case..... Only if they are written of/stolen and paid out etc do they appear on the "hit list"

think it gets noted if there has been a claim on it.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:36 PM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i would have told him it was sold as seen and you are sorry but the money is now spent! goodbye!

but if you are dead set on being a good guy tell him to give you advertising fees back and re advertise,if he bought it someone else will and be clear next time SOLD AS SEEN ,ANY INSPECTION WELCOME
Old 01-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

so what did he say when you suggested him selling it.
He said '' youll sell it easy, im 19 struggling to by a bike""...

So i said i feel bad etc but i have baby on way thats one of the reasons i sold it! and i stand to lose a lot more
Old 01-10-2006, 08:38 PM
tregmatt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

bottom line is, tell him you ve spoken to a lawyer, and he as said that not to take the bike back, because the bike was sold as seen, tryed and tested and after looking at the bike he was happy with it, and took it away, so anything could have happened to the bike when it was in his care, because it was sold as seen tryed and tested it came with no warrantly, if he wants to take it further, he ve to take it through the small claims court
Old 01-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Redeye Jedi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know if i was going to buy a bike that was advertised as having been involved in any sort of accident (whether it be light or heavy damage), I would have without doubt have to have it professionally inspected before hand to save the risk of anything like this, the boy knew full well the risk he was taking in buying the bike and therefore cant expect to return it having found out afterwards that it is damaged further than he thought. He has obviously made a rash decision in doing so and seems like he's clutching at straws to make it right, u have nothing to feel guilty about what so ever!

Let him deal with it!
Old 01-10-2006, 08:45 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Lee I said this in PM but ill repeat here.

its his problem mate, all you need to do as the seller is say it had been dropped, which you did.
the rest of the onis (sp?) is on him to get it checked over.

Rich said it better than I did via PM but totally true
sell you my cossie with a blown headgasket. You know that, but you still choose to buy it. You take head off and find the head is warped because the car overheated which caused a headgasket failure. Would you expect me to take the cossie back because the head is warped, even though you bought it knowing there was a headgasket failure. Would you have the balls to even ask me. i would say get lost, you bought it knowing the problem and what other problems a headgasket failure brings with it.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Just had another text. Says trading standards act covers him on this case and he will go down that route if he has to....

hmmm...

i like to settle things nice, i offrered to buy him a radiator...but im getting threatened with court
Old 01-10-2006, 08:55 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

go to the CAB Lee,see what they say.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

just had a shitter text. Says hell go down the legal route if he has to and i stand to lose a lot more than a few hundred quid! FFS ive tried sorting this amicably and i get that
Old 01-10-2006, 08:57 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Get it independently checked. If they decide it's bent then give him his money back (as you have already said you might do) remember it could just be the fact that he's realised that it's too fast or something as a first bike or he doesnt like the riding position (after riding it) and now wants something with a more upright riding position like a bandit etc. Check the mileage on it when they bring it back as if they've done hundreds of miles then you can tell them to jump.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:58 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

He cant do a damn thing, he's trying it on.

Now he's turned nasty I would reply with

"if thats the way you want to play it then have a go, but you'll pretty quickly find you dont have a leg to stand on. We could have resolved this civilly with a partial refund, but you can forget that now. See you in court!"

Do it

Quick Reply: FFS Im still not sure what to do RE My bike...