General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

(BT broadband) Where do i stand and what to do ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006 | 04:16 PM
Adam_BlackRS
Ex Ford Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (BT broadband) Where do i stand and what to do ??

A bit of background info 1st.....

I'm currently with BT broadband and have been for about 3 years now, maybe longer. Ever since i went with BT, i've been paying for the top package (£29.99) a month and up to 8mb. At that time i was running 1mb because thats all that i could get at that time. So recently i did a online line test and it said i could get up to 3mb so i contacted BT for a speed increase and they said that was ok and some line testing would be needed 1st. Looking at my router, it looks like they did something but never contacted me to tell it was complete. Anyway, a month went by and my Dad recieve the phone bill and for some reason BT are now charging MY broadband to my Dad.... I thought nothing of it at the time and just paid my Dad the extra dollar.

And now the problem......

Sky have now offered us broadband and so i've decided to go with them. Sky tell me i need a MAC code from BT. I contacted BT to get one and they tell me i can't have one or cancel my broadband because i started a new contract in April when i request the speed upgrade If i do want a MAC code or cancel, i have to pay £200+ for the remainder of the year.

Where do i stand ??? I think BT have bugger up here..... 1st they cancel my contract with them, without authorisation as i was the one who signed up for BT Broadband and paid them. 2ndly, they put my Dad as the payer for the broadband without his authorisation. And 3rdly, i asked for a speed increase to what i can recieve and i was told today that the max i can have is 1.5mb.

BT say a speed increase is a start of a new contract BUT i've been paying for broadband upto 8mb, therefore i'm paying for a service to have the max speed i can have and they haven't been giving it to me
Old 11-09-2006 | 04:26 PM
Frogford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

think your screwed. If you had queried the bill when it went onto your dads then you maybe be able to get out of it. But the fact that you've paid the bill without querying it would look like you've accepted it.

Just my opinon, and the wife reckons I'm usually wrong anyway
Old 11-09-2006 | 04:43 PM
Adam_BlackRS
Ex Ford Man

But what about them cancelling my contract with them and then signing up my Dad for broadband both without authorisation ???

BTW, i haven't signed any contract.
Old 11-09-2006 | 04:58 PM
collierm
MP for K.I.S.S

Ring up , ask to speak to a supervisor and explain the whole thing calmly and tell them how long you've been a customer. They aren't normally too bad, but like anyone, if you give them shit, where's the incentive to help you?
Old 11-09-2006 | 05:03 PM
Frogford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

but were you out of contract originally ?
Old 11-09-2006 | 05:19 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you can't get any more then 8 meg with BT, it's doubtfull you'll get the 16 meg with sky, and you are of course aware it's subject to a fair usage policy
Old 11-09-2006 | 05:29 PM
Adam_BlackRS
Ex Ford Man

Originally Posted by Frogford
but were you out of contract originally ?
No

Originally Posted by DanRSturbo
If you can't get any more then 8 meg with BT, it's doubtfull you'll get the 16 meg with sky, and you are of course aware it's subject to a fair usage policy
I'm not worried about the speed

This is taken from BT's terms and Conditions...
35 You may change from your existing service to another Broadband service from us (the new service) free of charge
So why have they started a new contract ????
Old 11-09-2006 | 05:37 PM
Adam_BlackRS
Ex Ford Man

I see what they've done.....

http://www.bttotalbroadband.bt.com/

We will automatically end your existing contract and replace it with a new 12 month contract starting from the date of your regrade or upgrade.
They taken my speed increase as a UPGRADE....

IT WASN'T A UPGRADE !!!! IT WAS SOMETHING THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIVING ME IN THE 1ST PLACE !!!! AS I WAS ALREADY PAYING FOR THE TOP PACKAGE (OPTION 4) !!!!
Old 11-09-2006 | 05:42 PM
collierm
MP for K.I.S.S

Originally Posted by Adam_BlackRS
I see what they've done.....

http://www.bttotalbroadband.bt.com/

We will automatically end your existing contract and replace it with a new 12 month contract starting from the date of your regrade or upgrade.
They taken my speed increase as a UPGRADE....

IT WASN'T A UPGRADE !!!! IT WAS SOMETHING THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIVING ME IN THE 1ST PLACE !!!! AS I WAS ALREADY PAYING FOR THE TOP PACKAGE (OPTION 4) !!!!
If they look back over your billing, they'll see this, so call them and explain.
Old 11-09-2006 | 06:07 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

tbh mate i think BT customer services are shit, were having probs with our speed, internet was running 8meg for about 3mths now its at 500k and they reckon its not their problem, every time we call they say something different,

just tell em to piss off
Old 11-09-2006 | 06:26 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ask em for proof of your dads contract, if he aint signed shite they cant to anything to him

you ended your contract so they cant do anything to you either as they mad a balls up

phone em up and threaten em with legal action and they will back down, they always do mate
Old 11-09-2006 | 06:37 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dicko&Sarah
tbh mate i think BT customer services are shit, were having probs with our speed, internet was running 8meg for about 3mths now its at 500k and they reckon its not their problem, every time we call they say something different,

just tell em to piss off
cant argue with them being utter shite

had an engineer out today a week after taking out a new contract to fix a fault my end of the line. for them to go away telling me i need a new cable laying
but was told that the line was live when taking out said contract

to top it off tho theyve knocked out upstairs phone line

rant over
Old 11-09-2006 | 08:19 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

at least ul get an engineer i just get bloody asif and his friend trying to explain everything 10 times over when not even listening to my problems, when i say they told me there was a line fault and now there isnt

ive cancelled their direct debit and it aint getting paid til its fixed
Old 11-09-2006 | 09:00 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dicko&Sarah
at least ul get an engineer i just get bloody asif and his friend trying to explain everything 10 times over when not even listening to my problems, when i say they told me there was a line fault and now there isnt

ive cancelled their direct debit and it aint getting paid til its fixed