General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Escos help needed please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 21-08-2004 | 07:41 PM
Jobbo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Default Escos help needed please!!!

Could someone please help, just been out for a spin in my 93 Escos and for some reason when she reaches the top end of boost the turbo seems to cut out and then back in again

This has never happened before, but I have recently fitted a group A K&N filter to the car,when taking out the old air box I noticed a small air hose at the base of the box which attaches to the actuator, This now has nowhere to go, I was told that this vents to atmosphere and does not need to be attached, could this be my problem?

A bit worried, can someone please help as I want to drive the car to National Day tomorrow
Old 21-08-2004 | 07:44 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

when taking out the old air box I noticed a small air hose at the base of the box which attaches to the actuator
You sure that pipe doesn't go to the Lektron (amal) valve? You may be overboosting now due to the air filter change/airbox removal - what does the gauge show / what boost does it normally run?
Old 21-08-2004 | 07:48 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

i think you right bill
if its not connected to the airbox no more its proberly over boosting,you may find mate that your gonna have to jet the end of the pipe up now
its gonna have to be the same size as the nipple it used to sit on on the aire box
Old 21-08-2004 | 07:58 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

peeps do u mean seal up the hose\hole ??????? car is stage 2 runs greens etc wtf is the amal vavle on a cos anyways ???

is it safe to drive like this if driven normally and not hard ???
Old 21-08-2004 | 08:09 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Don't seal the pipe!!!

On an EsCos it's a 'Lektron' valve - it's a 2 port version of an amal valve essentially, and is controlled by the ECU for closed loop boost control.

When I took the cone filter off and replaced with an airbox on mine when I bought it, the boost needed tweaking.

What Pop's said would seem to be the easiest solution, although boost may still need tweaking slightly.
Old 21-08-2004 | 08:10 PM
Jobbo

Originally Posted by Kev.H
peeps do u mean seal up the hose\hole ??????? car is stage 2 runs greens etc wtf is the amal vavle on a cos anyways ???

is it safe to drive like this if driven normally and not hard ???
i'll be buying the beers tomorrow if I can get the car there
Old 21-08-2004 | 08:13 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

at worst cut the nipple off the airbox and put that in there

Trending Topics

Old 21-08-2004 | 08:20 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

1. So its the width of the pipe (too wide) now its not connected to the air box unbalancing the boost levels ? do we need a smaller hole in the pipe to settle the boost down ?

2. is boost tweaking best lefts to the pro's ?

3. is it usual to need a car tweaking after a filter is fitted ?

4. is it safe 2 drive at the mo

5. thanks for all ya help

6. i think he is gonna refit standard box for now shame it was chattering like a kid on speed
Old 21-08-2004 | 08:29 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

1. Reckon so...

2. Kev, I heard you were a 'Pro' or did they mean somat else.... (it may just need half to one turn of the actuator, but depends how much preload is already on it and what actuator)

3. Dunno, mine did (and when I later put a non-Ford filter in the airbox a bit later, but I don't run 'normal' boost)

4. Possibly, if you stay away from full boost/overcut (althought that's there for protection in itself - depends how much it's overboosting by I guess)

5. That's what PF is all about

6. Ah well, at least he'll get to enjoy Nat' day with no last minute worries/niggles.
Old 21-08-2004 | 08:38 PM
Jobbo

Thanx for all the help Guys, much appreciated, another evening spent underneath the car

Beers are on me tomorrow Billabong and popeye
Old 21-08-2004 | 08:39 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

1. sounds iffy

2. v funny think maybe think thats a job best left for the people who know what there doing

3. see above best he book it in somewhere. his is stage 2 so more boost n greens but boost gauge is standard one so not and just bounces off the end i think maybe should buy a better gauge

4. ok he gonna refit normal box now 2 be better safe than sorry

5. mate u n pops need a gold star mega thanks

6. i had almost sold my Type R and was gonna go buy a cossie tomorrow cos of the chatter now i remember why i drive a Honda cos im 2 damn lazy to put up with the niggles
Old 21-08-2004 | 08:52 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Nomad gauge and pillar pod is a good starting point, std gauge is nice to look at but not that accurate, and as you say, useless after an uprate.

I'm probably being overcautious Kev, but I find that's best when dealing with Cossies, especially someone elses!
Old 21-08-2004 | 09:00 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Paul me thinks a good boost gauge is next on ya list matey and either take it back to where u got it forget the dudes name or Field Motorsport round the corner or Engine Advantages,

Billa I agree Overcautious is good when dealing with Cossies not cheap if they go wrong

PS Jobbo the Honda is runnning sweet and we managed 120-130 on several ocassions on the way home
Old 23-08-2004 | 09:01 AM
Jobbo

Thanx once again Billabong, Popeye and Kev.H, Got to and from National Day without any probs with the air box back on the car

Just need to sort out the air filter now.

PS Kev the Focus wasn't trying Dude