General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ref richie russ' thread on harvey....

Search this Thread

Old 26-08-2006, 08:07 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand what you are saying Bud - Weis, i think Rod gets of on the fact that others appear to have tried to hit the magic numbers but failed now he acheived it and is naturally very proud of that fact if a little arrogant about it, but he will say he has always proved his cars legitmatley against the clock it does not matter weather it is Brunters or some randon run way if the times are there then they are there...... Others have said they have this and that but when it comes down to it in Rods eyes they dont, the blokes far from stupid arrogant yes stupid no

As for Mark gagging Rod i can not see that happening anytime soon and i am sure when they move the goal posts further they will both be overjoyed remember the more Rod talks about it the better as people get to know who built it, alright i know we all know about it but i am sure you understand what i mean.

I am sure if somebody paid a few tuners of here to build them a car/engine that could do this magic number they would be more then able to,

Mike
Old 26-08-2006, 10:17 PM
luke89
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i ever had money to have a engine build i would use MARK@MAD , i have never herd a bad word and close + his work is the best IMO
Old 27-08-2006, 07:35 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by JHS
I would say Jenspeed Engineering, but might be a bit far to travel for most of you...
unfortunately yes he is quite a bit out of my way. shame

as for other comments there is alot in here i can take in to account,i will speak to various owners if i can and the builders themselves as well when i weed out the ones who are definates.but all this helps massively.except the arguments i was trying to avoid,i spose that was abit of a difficult job as alot of people are very passionate about who they are with and people theyve had probs with.

as for msd denting a car.... unfortunate im sure but im realistic enough to know that stu wouldnt have done it on purpose and shit does happen.just hope it doesnt to me.

still appreciate all everyone has written and im digesting it welll thanks peaps
Old 27-08-2006, 09:41 AM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

IIRC Stu didn't actually dent it at all,the guy just accused him!
Old 27-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by bud-weis
Yes thats what the post meant, it was taking the piss out of the bloke who accused Stu.

Stu@MSD drove it, and there suspension was so badly setup that the tyre caught the arch and dented it, and the bloke tried to blame stu, there was a long thread about it.

This is the problem with "private jokes" i guess a load of people reading the comment in this thread wouldnt know it was a joke, and might now think stu damaged someones car which of course he would never do
Old 27-08-2006, 10:00 AM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

yeah i got your joke,was just replying to NIL
Old 27-08-2006, 10:07 AM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Surely this challenge of people building the best 450bhp engine and proving it at brunters is flawed. What happens if the best engine is in the car with the ditch finder tyres, standard 4x4 gearbox and diffs and standard brakes? Not to mention the probably dodgy wiring loom, worn bushes etc...

A car that does well at brunters, totb or anywhere else has to be an allround package with everything 100% The problem is patricularly with RST owners is they get the big bhp engine and the car just wheel spins everywhere.

In respect of the topic's question:

I would use:

Stu, Mad, Reyland, Nms as you dont hear bad word of mouth about them.
Old 27-08-2006, 10:24 AM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i had a rebuild by,CarwiseUk this year the engine hasnt missed a beat in the time i have had it back 2months and have done 2 track days ,giving it stick.
The servics e,advice and attitude was spot on .Allong with customer care afterwards ,
Old 27-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by chip-3door
Originally Posted by bud-weis
Yes thats what the post meant, it was taking the piss out of the bloke who accused Stu.

Stu@MSD drove it, and there suspension was so badly setup that the tyre caught the arch and dented it, and the bloke tried to blame Stu, there was a long thread about it.

This is the problem with "private jokes" i guess a load of people reading the comment in this thread wouldnt know it was a joke, and might now think Stu damaged someones car which of course he would never do

I didnt know that,i missed that thread.to be honest i wouldnt ever expect stu to damage someones car becuase from what i know of him he is a genuine guy who is very proffesional about what he does.this just cements his solid reputation then! sorry i took it the wrong way but like i said even if he did accidents do happen.we are only human. not that thats an excuse for the shoddy people to use all the time.

i have to say ive been very impressed with all the replies on this and its helping me alot and would like to thank everyone for their input!
Old 27-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Reyland
Old 27-08-2006, 06:32 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Ooops, yeah, sorry I was joking about the dent thing. Was a massive post about it! Guy never came back after that for some strange reason
Old 27-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cant believe people writing off the talents of Hadland and Steve Scott etc, (mainly MAD camp), I understand they worship the ground Mark Shead stands on and good reason too, he builds them some pretty tasty engines, and his work, well look at Rods car , nuff said, but I think saying the other tuners have yet to prove themselves is very arrogant, especially with Martins car ready to be unleashed any time soon, and I`ll be damned and amazed if Martins car isnt specced to by pass Rods amazing achievments,
Old 27-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Benn 304R
10K+ Poster!!

All the tuners mentioned in this post are most certainly capable of building massive spec engines, just comes down to money at the end of the day.

Out of curosity, how many people here have used Julian godfrey? I have and i know IMA has, im sure theres a couple others aswell.

I think the reason he doesnt get a mention on here much is because of the other tuners that use this forum, but dont forget his played a big part in most of the big power norweigan cars

If your down south then I would certainly recomend him to anyone thats after a well specced cossie engine, or any other engine for that matter.

Also as said every tuner on here and otherwise have certainly had "bad ones" at some point in there time.
Old 28-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Benn 304R
All the tuners mentioned in this post are most certainly capable of building massive spec engines, just comes down to money at the end of the day.

Out of curosity, how many people here have used Julian godfrey? I have and i know IMA has, im sure theres a couple others aswell.

I think the reason he doesnt get a mention on here much is because of the other tuners that use this forum, but dont forget his played a big part in most of the big power norweigan cars

If your down south then I would certainly recomend him to anyone thats after a well specced cossie engine, or any other engine for that matter.

Also as said every tuner on here and otherwise have certainly had "bad ones" at some point in there time.

im in essex.im suprised more people havent mentioned julian and martin tbh.but im really gonna look into as much as i can now on this.i never thought it would be this difficult.
Old 28-08-2006, 02:38 PM
RS500
Advanced PassionFord User

Reyland motorsport julian godfrey engineering or jenspeed engineering or a1 rallysport if i ever have the money
I only like tuners that have been working on competion cars/or can build a decent track car
Maby harvey gibbs he is the only expetion on my rule.
Old 28-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by RS500
Reyland motorsport julian godfrey engineering or jenspeed engineering or a1 rallysport if i ever have the money
I only like tuners that have been working on competion cars/or can build a decent track car
Maby harvey smith he is the only expetion on my rule.
interesting,any reason?
Old 28-08-2006, 02:47 PM
RS500

Yeah because of his work on both the cossie's of mike rainbird and justin c from ireland and for engine on the focus rs of charles shaw.
And of course andrew gallacher for work on some well kown cars.
Cornering is the most importand for me not straightine performance.
I think the above tuners can build the best handling and fastest track cars on a ford rs base.
Old 28-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

fair enough.id like a bit of both but i do love a fast straight liner.as im not into track yet really.
Old 28-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Id want Martin but probs be far far too busy to get it done before 2010
Old 28-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Id want Martin but probs be far far too busy to get it done before 2010
good point
Old 28-08-2006, 02:59 PM
RS500

I forget that harvey gibbs builds also competion engines he has build engines for the fiesta of pat doran and of course his rs 200
Old 28-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Harvey Gibbs did Mike's and Andrew's engines...
Old 28-08-2006, 03:27 PM
PF Dave
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

My 10-pence worth:

The people asking why hasn't anyone mentioned Tommy Field or Julian Godfrey or Jens etc. Because they don't either have time or the inclination to come on the internet and or Passionford, thus some of the users won't have heard of them.

In other words just because you don't hear good things all the time about them on here, back in the real world, there's an awful lot being achieved! Unfortunately, finding the answers to your questions might mean some good old fashioned telephone conversations or visiting a tuner in person to find out more!

Having said all that, you should choose someone that gives you confidence... in that they know the products they are using, what they're doing with them and that's capable of giving you what you're after, and at the end of the day... delivers the goods!
Old 28-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by PF Dave
My 10-pence worth:

The people asking why hasn't anyone mentioned Tommy Field or Julian Godfrey or Jens etc. Because they don't either have time or the inclination to come on the internet and or Passionford, thus some of the users won't have heard of them.

In other words just because you don't hear good things all the time about them on here, back in the real world, there's an awful lot being achieved! Unfortunately, finding the answers to your questions might mean some good old fashioned telephone conversations or visiting a tuner in person to find out more!

Having said all that, you should choose someone that gives you confidence... in that they know the products they are using, what they're doing with them and that's capable of giving you what you're after, and at the end of the day... delivers the goods!
yeah i know what you are saying dave,i was tryin to wittle it down some more tbh,but i think i made my job harder becuase there is more people mentioned that i never thought of. but i think i can count out jenspeed!bit to far for me to travel. shame though.
Old 28-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Originally Posted by Noisy Boy
isnt Tommy field any good? dont hear him mentionded alot
Very good imo
Old 28-08-2006, 03:46 PM
cossie350
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I was once in your position so i went to some track days, ford fair, national day etc picked out cars that impressed me and had a chat with the owners. IMO this is the best way to find out about the builders, ask questions like power, price, problems and how many miles the engine has done since build.... Then make your own mind up, its not alot of good asking people who is the best because 99% of the time they will say the person that has built there engine regardless of how many problems they have had........ Have fun
Old 28-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

cossie350
thats exactly what ive got planned now.i just thought i could see how many people rate each builder to guide me to the best few.its now got bigger than i thought though. oops
Old 28-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Carlsworth
Former Sponsor

someone said about their attitudes towards the customer,..

in my experience, you gotta look past that....9 times out of 10, the person you phone for advice is soooooooooo busy, that they dont really have time to be on phone chatting....

imo, blunt is a good sign.....if they have all day to chat, then maybe they re charging too much.....

stu@msd is a blunt fooker at times, so thats where ive been, go....and will do when i finally get another perfomance car

blunt, but helpful
Old 28-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Ian M500COS

I've dealt with a lot of engine builders over the years and have narrowed my list of those who I would deal with down to the number of fingers on one hand. That excludes the few I have never contacted though! I havent had that many engines!!

One thing I hate about an engine builder is when they are too busy to answer the phone directly that they never return your call - that's just plain rude. And I can name a few top tuners I would avoid like the plague for that very reason. Chances are, if they piss you around before they have your engine/car then they will piss you around when they have got it!

It is for that one reason why I will always use Harvey Gibbs for my own engine - because I found his customer service better than I anyone else I have dealt with. And his knowledge was far greater than a lot of others I have dealt with. No bullshit off him.

I find it hard to believe that others had problems. but I imagine that every tuner has had some problem with a customer at some point. It is impossible to satisfy everyone however hard you try.

But from my own experience, I cannot recommend Harvey enough and would use him every time.

For the record, if Harvey got beamed off the planet by aliens tomorrow, I would instead use:

Stu@MSD
Karl Norris
Martin Hadland
Julian Goddfrey
Tommy Field
MAD

.......purely out of the good things I know and have heard off others. Im not printing any order of preference as I wouldnt want any offence to be taken.
Old 28-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Andreas
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Ian@Racetek
I've dealt with a lot of engine builders over the years and have narrowed my list of those who I would deal with down to the number of fingers on one hand. ....

Harvey Gibbs
Stu@MSD
Karl Norris
Martin Hadland
Julian Goddfrey
Tommy Field
MAD
Seven fingers?

Been to Harvey a couple of times and never been let down. Even answers my stupid questions.

Havent met any other tuners though but dealt with Stu and Kenny at MSD and they got an ace customer service.

First time a took the car to England I was asked by a swedish tuner to pickup a gearbox from Juilan Godfrey. When I told some english cossie owners about this they said they had never heard of him.
Old 28-08-2006, 08:28 PM
Ian M500COS

.......yeah, my missus recons I'm unique - always brings a smile to her face!!! Okay so maybe I cant count! But you get the point.

Actually I did intend on putting 5, but added the other two as an afterthought!
Old 28-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by Andreas
Originally Posted by Ian@Racetek
the number of fingers on one hand. ....
Seven fingers?
Ian! Youve just helped the Forest of Dean inbreeding stereotype quite nicely mate
Old 28-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Ian M500COS

Yeah, Steve - it's all that sheepshagging my dad did!!