General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ref richie russ' thread on harvey....

Search this Thread

Old 26-08-2006, 06:01 AM
MOONDUST FRST
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not used either of these but from the past 3 years of internet reading i would be looking at using either STU@MSD or MARK@MAD purely because of what i have read and always did fancy some of that autronic management
Have used Amed for mapping, Top job 100% happy but as said you have to wait a while and it seems like your not all that important to them IMO
Old 26-08-2006, 07:21 AM
AlexD
Post Miester !

I use Anderson Racing Engines for bottom end re-builds, He is Local to Me.

For Mapping or ECU upgrade i have always Used STU @ MSD.

But I know people who have had Upgrades and Maps from Karl Norris,
and they have been spot on..

But tbh alot depends on what you want from your car,who is best at a certain
thing & how deep your pockets are...

Hence why i do 95% of it myself

Al.......
Old 26-08-2006, 08:09 AM
bigad4x4
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by rsjp
Without a doubt Andy Fisher!! built the engine in my red one and that was spot on!!
Old 26-08-2006, 08:48 AM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ford used Mountune,Tommy Field worked for Mountune
fella i know uses a Roy Millington Diamond engine for his rally car and his alloy block yb cost around 20 grand
Old 26-08-2006, 09:04 AM
JRST
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Would have to be Paul a mate who lives up the road.
Old 26-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Noisy Boy
isnt Tommy field any good? dont hear him mentionded alot
we found him so good very helpful always there if you needed him
Old 26-08-2006, 09:27 AM
r5jame5
BANNED
BANNED

harvey gibbs for me
Old 26-08-2006, 10:17 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Neil,

2 words: Mark Shead. No one else delivers the results, so why go anywhere else. Plus, i couldnt afford and still cant afford Autronics, so i did the next best thing: got Stu at MSD to write me a chip for greys, after giving him the details of my engine. Mark set it up and am very happy
Old 26-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CossieRich
Neil,

2 words: Mark Shead. No one else delivers the results, so why go anywhere else. Plus, i couldnt afford and still cant afford Autronics, so i did the next best thing: got Stu at MSD to write me a chip for greys, after giving him the details of my engine. Mark set it up and am very happy
Surely your engine is an example of Stu@MSD delivering the results, so how can you possibly make a claim like "no one else delivers the results" i think thats actually quite insulting to Stu really
Old 26-08-2006, 10:23 AM
AWK-53
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Something wrong with A1 Rallysport? Noticed no one has mentioned them yet but having read reviews of their cars in the mags can't believe no one has thought of them yet
Old 26-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I just had a set up at MSD and Stu advised me to budget for a new loom in the future - wise words
Old 26-08-2006, 10:44 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Originally Posted by chip-3door
Neil,

Surely your engine is an example of Stu@MSD delivering the results, so how can you possibly make a claim like "no one else delivers the results" i think thats actually quite insulting to Stu really
i dont know how you come to the conclusion im insulting Stu Chip. Neil asked for engine builders and the cost of Autronic being expensive. There is my answer mate Engine built by Mark, cant afford Autronics so asked Stu to do me a chip. Unless you think a L6 ecu is as good as Autronic.
Old 26-08-2006, 10:57 AM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Neil,

2 words: Mark Shead. No one else delivers the results, so why go anywhere else.
Thats rubbish, loads of tuners deliver.

Martin Hadland is one that springs immediately to mind, Harvey has done some very good stuff with Mike Rainbird, Tony at Turbosystems has build some very impressive stuff over the years, as has Steve Scott and thats just to mention people who have very publically proved what they have done there are other tuners who just quietly get on with it so to say no one else delivers is a little misguided.
Old 26-08-2006, 11:15 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

everyone is entilte to there opinion. I think Mark builds the best engines in the business. Thats my opinion. Im not insulting Stu by saying that I would only use Mark and no one else. He knows that as i had a very lengthy convo about management systems and in his own words: 'you would be a fool not to do your research and find out about everything before spending money' He knew if i could afford it, i would use Autronics and Mark but because i couldnt he helped me out. Just because i think Mark builds the best engines doesnt mean im insulting him. And my comments about no one else delivers stands true, otherwise i would have used them and not Mark. All makes sense if people stop trying to dig and cause an argument and get people to bite
Old 26-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Omawarisan
Regular Contributor

Nick at Advanced Automotive in Bristol is only Engine Builder for me. He did a complete rebuild of mine for a fraction of the cost of others. And I know his work is top draw, my mate had his rebuilt 40000 miles ago and it has never missed a beat ! ! ! ! ! !. He is the man. Chris
Old 26-08-2006, 11:20 AM
justin.e
Advanced PassionFord User

never had a problem with Harveys engines and I've had 4 over the years
as people have said the install is as important as the build
Old 26-08-2006, 11:53 AM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

everyone is entilte to there opinion. I think Mark builds the best engines in the business. Thats my opinion. Im not insulting Stu by saying that I would only use Mark and no one else. He knows that as i had a very lengthy convo about management systems and in his own words: 'you would be a fool not to do your research and find out about everything before spending money' He knew if i could afford it, i would use Autronics and Mark but because i couldnt he helped me out. Just because i think Mark builds the best engines doesnt mean im insulting him. And my comments about no one else delivers stands true, otherwise i would have used them and not Mark. All makes sense if people stop trying to dig and cause an argument and get people to bite

Sorry, but your comment saying :-

'And my comments about no one else delivers stands true, otherwise i would have used them and not Mark.'

Is rubbish and slanderous.

Are you saying anyone mentioned above hasnt delivered ?

Martin Hadland has certainly proved himself time and time and time again and will continue to do so.

Steve Scott is out racing most weekends and winning a lot of the time....

Is that not proving himself then ?

I think you need to grow up and realise that there is more to life than Mark Shead, I have no doubt that Mark builds a very good engine and offers excellent service to his customers which is all anyone can ask of any supplier.

BUT

To say no one else delivers is complete TOSH !!

Remember M A Developments is a company..... not a Cult !
Old 26-08-2006, 12:14 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Ok Neil

Remember its only the internet, no need to get too excited about who people favourite tuner is

And if its slanderous sue me
Old 26-08-2006, 12:43 PM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

I would always go to Stu for something like this.

A: because I know him and he's a top mate

B: because nobody ever has a bad word to say about him or MSD and their work

C: because helping customers with questions/queries is never too much trouble for him.

That said, most of the guys mentioned above are held in high regard by many on here too. Asking around is the best thing to do and combine what you hear with what people are saying to make your choice.
Old 26-08-2006, 12:45 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Originally Posted by DogSmoke
I would always go to Stu for something like this.

A: because I know him and he's a top mate

B: because nobody ever has a bad word to say about him or MSD and their work

C: because helping customers with questions/queries is never too much trouble for him.

That said, most of the guys mentioned above are held in high regard by many on here too. Asking around is the best thing to do and combine what you hear with what people are saying to make your choice.
What about the guy who's car they dented?
Old 26-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Rich, its fair enough that your favourite tuner is Mark Shead, i can FULLY understand why, he's certainly one of the best in the business, but to say that "no one else delivers" is absolute nonsense, that was the bit i took as potentially insulting to other people you have dealt, because that statement means "stu@msd doesnt know how to deliver a map that works well" and yet your own car is proof of the opposite.
Old 26-08-2006, 01:44 PM
aduz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

no one wears a cardy like mark so sheady is god
Old 26-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Tell you what lets put all these Tuners to the test. Build an Engine to say 450bhp Spec. Dyno it to check, put in car & take it to where all this bullshit stops. I Know who would win such a challenge.
Dont anyone check results at the Mag Thrashes & see what standard of car most of these Tuners produce, obviously not.
Old 26-08-2006, 02:09 PM
wildheart
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Karl and Ollie @ NMS
Old 26-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by MADRod
Tell you what lets put all these Tuners to the test. Build an Engine to say 450bhp Spec. Dyno it to check, put in car & take it to where all this bullshit stops. I Know who would win such a challenge.
Dont anyone check results at the Mag Thrashes & see what standard of car most of these Tuners produce, obviously not.
Rod, if you get mark to build one of his normal 450bhp spec motors i absolutely guarentee that i can build a YB engine that wipes the floor with it at brunters that also makes only 450bhp.

Your obsession with this thing where he has a 500bhp engine that is better than other peoples 500bhp engine etc is a bit pointless, it doesnt really prove anything other than that he makes the power lower down the rev range and hence makes more torque, anyone making a small cammed big boost engine would do similar, its just that some other tuners prefer to tune their engines for torque higher up the rev range instead so get more bhp for the same amount of torque (or less torque for the same amount of bhp if you prefer to look at it that way round)

I think that how mark does it makes for a nice spec road motor, but it doesnt make mark better than everyone else full stop like you are implying.
Old 26-08-2006, 02:20 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Chip,

Would that be using nos though? Lots of people have said they will beat such and such and beat the top speed etc, but none have for a long time, hence my comment above. Im not talking about mapping skills as we all know there are a few very good mappers, but for engine build and spec, thats where im coming from
Old 26-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Chip,

Would that be using nos though? Lots of people have said they will beat such and such and beat the top speed etc, but none have for a long time, hence my comment above. Im not talking about mapping skills as we all know there are a few very good mappers, but for engine build and spec, thats where im coming from
Sorry Rich, i cant reveal my secrets, lol

But TBH you could do it without using nitrous too, the main thing you would want to make a 450bhp that really kicked arse would be a turbo suitable for far more power, and a restrictor in the inlet, which would result in a torque cruve that died off, it would be an utterly pointless spec to use, but would satisfy the brief of making only 450bhp and being very quick, essentially just a 450bhp version of the 350bhp rally cars, they kick arse over anything else with 350bhp because of the restrictor, it means that the torque curve dies off as the rev rise, so it might only be 350 but its 350 nearly everywhere.

Its of course a largely pointless argument, but thats kind of my point to Rod.

Far more impressive is the way that sheady delivers an engine that is not laggy, responsive, still makes good power, retruns good miles to the gallon and last for tens of thousands of road miles still, THAT is what makes him one of the best in the business IMHO and you cant test that totally at brunters.
Old 26-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Anonymous
Banned

.....Rod doesnt the challenge you are talking about with equal power come down to how good the..or should i say mental the driver is?

...maybe the reason you keep beating everyone and will always because Mark apears to me to have a death wish!!!!!LOL...the demon of the late brakers
Old 26-08-2006, 03:09 PM
ellicoss
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

My engine is at steve scotts of A1 rallye and cant fault the service i have had plus he has proven time and time again that his engines do the works
Old 26-08-2006, 03:28 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Rod, if you get mark to build one of his normal 450bhp spec motors i absolutely guarentee that i can build a YB engine that wipes the floor with it at brunters that also makes only 450bhp.

Chip this would then not be a fair challenge would it as you would be building something for a set task and Marks would be a "normal" 450 spec,

Fairs Fairs Mark i am sure will build what the customer wants and i would have no doubt that he could build something that would not have you wipe the floor with him, i am not knocking your ability but if you are going to compare lets make it fair shall we, this being the case we both know you would not wipe the floor with him, would be close for sure,

I am surprised that somebody of your alledged talents does not build engines and run a tuning buisness for your self ......................

Mike
Old 26-08-2006, 04:40 PM
89xr2
Brap!

I bet I can run faster than chip!
Old 26-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by 89XR2
...most of the fucking world could run faster than Chip
Old 26-08-2006, 06:46 PM
JHS
Advanced PassionFord User

I would say Jenspeed Engineering, but might be a bit far to travel for most of you...
Old 26-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Captain Mike
I am surprised that somebody of your alledged talents does not build engines and run a tuning buisness for your self ......................
Not interested in doing it full time, quite happy to just do my car and my mates, last time i turned a hobby into a job i found after half a dozen years i didnt enjoy it as much anymore, same would happen with engines i reckon.

Besides which, its already a crowded market place and making good money straight from the off wouldnt be easy and i have a mortgage to pay.
Old 26-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Bosch-Man
Originally Posted by 89XR2
...most of the fucking world could run faster than Chip

100 meters in under 12 last time i tried.

I will admit that was a few mcdonalds vists ago though..........

Old 26-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Anonymous
Banned

...Chip i have never seen anything you have alledged built...deffo a text book tuner IMO

..still....wish i could read and digest it aswell as you!!!!

*denotes banter before Mike pushes the button
Old 26-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Bosch-Man
...Chip i have never seen anything you have alledged built...deffo a text book tuner IMO
Thats cause ive never built anything in kent
Old 26-08-2006, 07:12 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

all this Brunters bull is so boring, one day i'm sure another tuner will stumble across somebody with lots of money to throw at an old car and set records.....

maybe nobody else has the time for such adventures,or the willingness to do so,fastest coswort ever.........wow!! look past the end of your nose and see what you could have done for less money,albeit away from ford....

amatuers thinking they're in bloody F1....cracks me up
Old 26-08-2006, 07:38 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Bud - Weis, i think they are not amatuers thinking they are in F1 they are people with an unberlivable passion for something and they take it seriously we are all made different mate, and thats what makes life interesting,

Mike
Old 26-08-2006, 08:00 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

ok,maybe a bit strong....

but i find the whole "we are better than you" thing very insulting to other tuners!

to suggest the capabilities of other people are less because they haven't 'proven' summat at brunters is wrong, it doesn't take a genius to produce a torquey engine,yet somehow MAD engines have suddenly become extra-ordinary???? boost boost boost blah blah blah!

if i were Mark@MAD i would gag Rod asap!!!!

Quick Reply: Ref richie russ' thread on harvey....