General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone insured with Admiral take note........

Search this Thread

Old 20-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone insured with Admiral take note........

According to the plumb who was on the other end of the phone, if they find out that you take your car to shows, IE - show and shine competitions and the like, then they will cancell your policy no questions asked

what the fuck is all that about?
Old 20-07-2006, 09:38 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

probably confused with track days

call centre monkeys

Old 20-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Zetecfiesta
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wouldnt suprise me!
Old 20-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Thats what I thought, but I queeried his words :

me - "so If i take out a policy, and then show my car on a stand at a car show, in a field, with lots of other cars being polished and cared for like they are the owners baby, would that invalidate my insurence"

monkey - "yes"

Old 20-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

what a bunch of knob jockeys!glad im not with them.
Old 20-07-2006, 09:47 AM
andy_st200
PassionFord Post Troll

hmmm id ask for specific written confirmation of this, sounds a bit stupid to me
Old 20-07-2006, 09:53 AM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

im with em, load of old bollocks imo ! (£400 cheaper than HIC!)
Old 20-07-2006, 10:10 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

They were the cheapest by a long shot for me 2 years ago. Don't remember seeing this in any of the small print. I read theirs as the quote seemed too good to be true.

As above, I would want it in writing and I would be surprised if they could cancel a policy on you participating in something. Normally it would be void if you tried to claim.
Old 20-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Surely the fuckwit in the call centre got shows confused with Cruises?
Old 20-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Rab - thats a posibility too

having said that, they are by far the cheapest anywhere for my BMW with all mods declaired
Old 20-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Originally Posted by Graceland

having said that, they are by far the cheapest anywhere for my BMW with all mods declaired

I doubt the idiots in the call centre have any idea what a show is. When I phoned for mine, I got alot of grief cos she didn't know what a fiesta Xr2 was
Old 20-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

cheggers
Old 20-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

they can't do things like that, it's illegal. They are trying it on.
Old 20-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thats what I thought, but I queeried his words :

me - "so If i take out a policy, and then show my car on a stand at a car show, in a field, with lots of other cars being polished and cared for like they are the owners baby, would that invalidate my insurence"

monkey - "yes"

My next question would have been why.
Old 20-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
They can pretty much do what they like if you sign an insurance contract with it in writing.
Old 20-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
Originally Posted by Rick
They can pretty much do what they like if you sign an insurance contract with it in writing.
Lets ask Chip - his insurance company had a get-out clause for the Nurburgring, but I think they paid up - Chip, whats the verdict?
Old 20-07-2006, 11:50 AM
BUK
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

im with admiral , they cancelled my policy for soemthing stupid at the drop of a hat, when they said they wouldnt, fuckin twats the lot of them
Old 20-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Originally Posted by BUK
im with admiral , they cancelled my policy for soemthing stupid at the drop of a hat, when they said they wouldnt, fuckin twats the lot of them
Do tell - i'm intreigued
Old 20-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If it's a public roads you are on, they have to insure you. it's all trying it on.
Old 20-07-2006, 12:07 PM
BUK

Originally Posted by BUK
Do tell - i'm intreigued
Basically i sold my civic type r which was insured by them, i had 2 months to go on the policy so i called them before i bought a new car and told them to suspend the polciy as i would be purchasing a new car in the next few weeks or so. They did this and i was told to send my covernote back to them, but a few days later i found the car i was fter an audi tt sport , so i call them and tlel them i want to insure this car for the remainder of the policy , which they say no problem to it will cost an extra £70 , fair enough i paid it and got not to bother sending the cover note back for the type r as it was only suspended for 72 hours or sumit. So i didnt bother sending it back, only to get a letter thru a couple weeks later demanding this cover note, so i call them explain the situation etc , they say its ok etc i thought end of im happy. I get a letter through another 2 weeks later saying because i had not sent this back my insurance had been canclled with immediate effect like on such and such a date , now this was like 10-14 days before i got this letter so i was bascially drivng about with no insurance (obviosuly i didnt know this). No i have done my re-newal and sent off my form twice authorising them to use the card details etc they used before for me, they have sent me through another letter today telling me they still havent recieved the confirmation which i have done twice in the past 2 months !!!!!!!!! On th eupside my insurance is valid but i havent paid for it yet , so i could jsut bump them off now and not pay for the last 2 months

Been thinking about it as can now get cheaper elsewhere.

Monkeeeeeeeeys mate
Old 20-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

d'oh

set of gimps the lot of em
Old 20-07-2006, 12:26 PM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

Originally Posted by BUK
Originally Posted by BUK
Do tell - i'm intreigued
Basically i sold my civic type r which was insured by them, i had 2 months to go on the policy so i called them before i bought a new car and told them to suspend the polciy as i would be purchasing a new car in the next few weeks or so. They did this and i was told to send my covernote back to them, but a few days later i found the car i was fter an audi tt sport , so i call them and tlel them i want to insure this car for the remainder of the policy , which they say no problem to it will cost an extra £70 , fair enough i paid it and got not to bother sending the cover note back for the type r as it was only suspended for 72 hours or sumit. So i didnt bother sending it back, only to get a letter thru a couple weeks later demanding this cover note, so i call them explain the situation etc , they say its ok etc i thought end of im happy. I get a letter through another 2 weeks later saying because i had not sent this back my insurance had been canclled with immediate effect like on such and such a date , now this was like 10-14 days before i got this letter so i was bascially drivng about with no insurance (obviosuly i didnt know this). No i have done my re-newal and sent off my form twice authorising them to use the card details etc they used before for me, they have sent me through another letter today telling me they still havent recieved the confirmation which i have done twice in the past 2 months !!!!!!!!! On th eupside my insurance is valid but i havent paid for it yet , so i could jsut bump them off now and not pay for the last 2 months

Been thinking about it as can now get cheaper elsewhere.

Monkeeeeeeeeys mate
Don't bump them off mate, you need to complete the policy to get that year's no claims!
Old 20-07-2006, 12:33 PM
tsutton

Originally Posted by Adrian
People see your pretty car.

They follow you home to find out where you live.

They nick it on the next night.

Perhaps?
Old 20-07-2006, 12:33 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

admiral fucked me over too when i was with them years and years ago

aparently, me driving the car made me the main driver, even though it was my policy and my old man was a named driver on it

but they didn't tell me that for 2 months, for 2 months they were telling me that i hadn't declared the alloys even though i had written confermation that they knwe about it because they sent me a letter telling me it was ok

they then started sending out threatening letters along the lines of "you do know that driving without insruance is illegal and we would have to inform the police about this if you don't send us the £500 od we say you owe us to continue with your policy" (of which there were about 3 days left)

i didn't send back the covernote and they were going to charge me for this too

i made a complaint to the insurance onbdusman at lloyds and it was all sorted by the time i wrote the car off so all

proper bunch of cocks at admiral though, my mate also had problems with them, using their bonus accelerator no claims thing, which only admiral will honour apparently
Old 20-07-2006, 12:42 PM
andy_st200
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by tsutton

Perhaps?
like they couldnt do that parked anywhere or just see you driving about

sounds like admiral are a bunch of cocks end of. ill stick with direct line thank you
Old 20-07-2006, 12:42 PM
AndyH_ZS
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Are they doing a like for like replacement though?

I'm with elephant (as they are under the same group) and had no problems. They are the cheapest by a long way but you declare the mods however they will return the car to its standard form.
Old 20-07-2006, 12:43 PM
andre_k
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by tsutton

Perhaps?

could be... a couple of years ago a mate of mine owned a mk2 astra cabriolet, qute extensively modified, wheels, bodykit, purple paintjob etc..

went to a show in doncaster(50 miles oop the a1), next morning his car was gone from his drive, and an old rover with a doncaster-stamped tax disk was left on the road outside his house...

driving down to london a week or so later he found a stripped & burnt out cabby shell, wth a couple of unburnt patches of purple paint, in a layby off the a1...
Old 20-07-2006, 01:12 PM
AGAR-COSWORTH
Redumbdancy

Back to the original post - theres no way they have proper grounds to cancel your insurance if you go to a show held in a field which is obviously not on the public highway - ie insurance isn't required by law.

What they're saying could be compared to them telling you that if you park your car on your driveway (ie not on public road) we'll cancel your insuracne.

Load of bollocks.

This brings back memories of having to phone about for insurance and being completely bullshitted to by Liverpool Victoria - who claimed they wouldn't cover modified cars and haven't done so for a year or so when a mate of mine got a modified policy only the week before i rang.
Old 20-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Tony @ Greenlight
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Default Admiral Group

Hi guys,

Having read the original posts it does sound strange that they exclude cover whilst on a showground.

Some Insurers do only cover vehicles upon public highways & Admiral may be one of those. Presumably they are looking to avoid potential liability for people being injured by climbing upon & falling off, or tripping over a vehicle whilst not on a public road...

Or... as you mention it could be an error by the call centre operator.

If this is not an error, this may also apply to those of you Insured with other Admiral Group companies, which are as follows:

Admiral
Elephant (Trunkie)
Gladiator
Bell Direct
Diamond (Lady Diamond)

Always worth checking with them, as mose enthusiasts will take their car onto a showground at least once a year.

Admiral group do utilise overseas call centres for at least part of their group. Also, if your checking with elephant, its probably best to e-mail as with their low cost base & looking to operate in an internet environment they charge £1/min for telephone calls to them.

Kind regards

Tony
Old 20-07-2006, 02:54 PM
BUK

never thought of the no claims thing , bastard
Old 20-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Top information there Tony, Seems like I will be mulling over the policy doccuments when they arrive and trying to find anything that I can spot that I don't like within the 14 day cooling off period