General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone have "Proper" aircon/climate control in the

Search this Thread

Old 19-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Anyone have "Proper" aircon/climate control in the

I am seriously thinking of fitting an air con unit into my room - it is part of the extension, so it has three outside walls, and since it faces south, it gets sun on at least 2 walls all fucking day, from sunrise to sunset

As such when I get in from work, it's usually over 30/35deg and like a fucknig oven I can't even leave the bottom window open while I am out, as whenever it rains it ALWAYS comes in my window, which is not good with the computer and plugs on and under the desk, which is right under the window

Anyway... I have been thinking about air con, but I don't want one of these portable units that you have to fill with water and/or vent out the window (which means the window has to be open, which defeats the fucking purpous! ) I would want a "proper" unit where you have the box on the wall outside, and the pipes going though the wall to the "fan" bit of it, like so;

Basically, what I want to know is a) how much we roughly talking to buy one and have it installed etc - b) what do you need to do in terms of maintenence - c) and how much would I expect the leccy bills to go up by?

Bear in mind I would only need it to come on an hour or so before I get home and it will be on most evening and though night (say, from 6pm to 6am) and sometimes on during the day when I am home....

We have one at work in the office and I fooking love it! I work out in the workshop (no aircon) and it's a stinking 36+ in there, go into the office and it's a cool sexy 18deg all day long! And I want that at home
Old 19-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Hitachi aircon unit 5 weeks ago and was in heaven until it packed up yesterday. I got the Hitachi after seeking advice so I'm hoping the 1st one was a rogue bad unit. Replacement arrived by courier today....to much rejoicing
Old 19-07-2006, 06:51 PM
The DIVA
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I`m gonna do the house later on this year ready for next year....

Got a couple of mates who do air-con so im gonna fit it all myself and have them come and vac it and gas it up....
Old 19-07-2006, 06:56 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

how much was it cam?
Old 19-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Redeye Jedi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could put u in touch with a couple of places, this is very much my line of work! At least one of our air con suppliers does split system units pre vacced and gased ready for use! Might be quite a bit cheaper like that!
Old 19-07-2006, 06:58 PM
dojj

http://www.4air.co.uk/product_info.p.../google/kelkoo

is this what you were thinking of matt?
Old 19-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Anyone got prices on buying, installing, running etc, and how much roughly (with the usage I mentioned) my leccy bills will go up by please?

Trending Topics

Old 19-07-2006, 07:05 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wouldnt mind this either as my rooms hot enough without me in it or anything turned on, then when im home, tv comes on and pc, which is like a heat generator and im bloody roasting

Want a US house, all kitted out with air con as standard
Old 19-07-2006, 07:07 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Anyone got prices on buying, installing, running etc, and how much roughly (with the usage I mentioned) my leccy bills will go up by please?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Air-Conditioni...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 19-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

When I stayed with Fastmaul and ZTee24 in their apartment in the US last month, walking "home" in the 35+ ultra humid heat, and opening the front door to be greeted by a super cool 18-odd deg apartment was simply bliss
Old 19-07-2006, 07:33 PM
dojj

if i could afford it..........................
Old 19-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I don't know if I can yet - no one has answered and of my questions
Old 19-07-2006, 07:39 PM
cahzz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

ive got air con actually built into my place but you can leave it on over night trust me it makes me feel really rough in the morninig, bad throat ect ect
Old 19-07-2006, 09:23 PM
BRIGSPORT
UNAUTHORISED DEVELOPMENTS

Split systems can be bought from £200 plus v.a.t. Installation prices depend entirely on location of indoor/outdoor unit,length of pipe run,wether the drain is to be pumped or gravity,but you need to measure the room,check for heat gains like windows etc. to make sure you get a unit that is big enough to cope.
And then once you have the right information,you can work out how much it is to run.The latest systems use inverter driven compressors and are vey energy efficient,but run at such high pressures that d.i.y. installation is not recommended.
Infact d.i.y. installation is a no no,due to the fact that if you buy a pre charged system,like you can buy from b&q,and rupture the pipework,the gas can be harmful to both the environment and yourself,as refrigerant is an asphyxiant.
Like any trade there are cowboys who will rip you off.
If you get me some rough details of the installation,i can price up the unit,materials,and give you a guide on how long it would take a proper engineer like myself to install.
And if you ask nicely i will fit it for beer money.
Garry,a.c./refrigeration engineer.
Old 19-07-2006, 09:55 PM
andy_st200
PassionFord Post Troll

i had aircon in my appartment in miami and like cahzz said dont leave it on all night its horrid .. headaches the works.. i used to just leave it on all day whilst i was at work totally freeze the place out and then just as i went to bed switch it off and rely on the ceiling fans
Old 20-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Fastmaul
K155MYRS

Yup, we have the AC on while we're here or during the day but turned off and have the fans on at night.

Thrush I'm not sure how big your room is but you need to get one with BTU's and check the energy guide! I'd say compare those two. If not, you can always come over the AC is on right now.
Old 20-07-2006, 07:30 AM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Trouble is aircon is all well and good but do we REALLY need it in this country? We only get a couple of weeks which is warm I know its getting hotter all the time but i dunno yet. The old dear was on about getting it last night but i was like not sure yet wait and see. best time to get is in winter when they will be cheaper

Gotta say Aircon is cool, i would never own a car without climate now. But still not 100% convived to havign it in the house in the UK, as its not like we live in a hot country hence why houses arnt built with aircon units as std nowadays lol.
Old 20-07-2006, 08:17 AM
dojj

what would a room that is approx 20 feet by 20 feet (main living room with the kitchen as open plan sort of arrangement) need in so far as btu stuff to cool?
it's got a 5 foot wide set of french doors and a bit of window above the sink and the roof is pitched (if that makes any difference)

also, how long can these things run for without turning them off?
sometimes you want them to stay on all day and night (like this week) so wht do you do in those circumstances?
do they just switch off every once in a while, do they cycle in and out according to the outside temps, how far away does the fan bit need to be from the house, and will it need covering because it gets hot, etc etc?

Old 20-07-2006, 10:27 AM
ian sibbert
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We sell more and more a/c to the domestic market we only sell two makes....

Fujisu & Daikin...

As mentioned in any domestic application we'd only select an inverter driven system...any decent system now wants to be on R410A refrigerant....cost wise to run totally depends on the conditions the calc is vots * amps/1000= kW * kW/Hr...... but as an average a 3.5 kW inverter driven system will cost you about 8 pence per hour to run

We are Daikin, Fujitsu & Mitsubishi A/C agents and also memebers of the Daikin D1 Partnership.

The other benefits are nearly all systems now are reverse cycle heap pumps and any domestic air/air heat pump is only liable to 5% VAT
Old 20-07-2006, 12:23 PM
dojj

"heat pump"?
i know what i think it means after watching every episode of this old house with steve and norm, but i thought they were stuck in the loft or somewhere?
Old 20-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by Fastmaul
Yup, we have the AC on while we're here or during the day but turned off and have the fans on at night.

Thrush I'm not sure how big your room is but you need to get one with BTU's and check the energy guide! I'd say compare those two. If not, you can always come over the AC is on right now.
My rooms about the same size as your spare room that I stayed in while I was at yours
Old 20-07-2006, 06:50 PM
BRIGSPORT
UNAUTHORISED DEVELOPMENTS

A heat pump is an a/c unit that can run in reverse i.e absorbing heat from the outside and transferring it inside.
Sibster;who do you work for?