General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Snap On

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Big Ad
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snap On

Just been into my local garage as I do some nights, just to see whats going on and for a chat ect...

The owner of the garage was telling me he has a £150's worth if Snap on Sockets which have worn out and wont grab a nut.

He took them to the Snap on rep that comes round every so often and he told him the "Lifetime Guarantee" doesnt cover that...

What does everybody think?

Anybody know the snap on main website where I can find him complaint details ect, done a google and cant find much
Old 10-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Complete bollox. I have some Snap On sockets and when they wear, I get em replaced for free....
Old 10-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Oops, forgot the site link;

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/catalog.asp?store=uk
Old 10-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Big Ad
Part of the Furniture

Well I said that to him but he is a very placid bloke and quiet spoken so I said I would try asking on here for him.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Rs1
Advanced PassionFord User

Depends how he's been using them. If theres clear signs of windy tool action on none impact sockets then he doesn't have to change them. iirc he also doesnt have to change the hex type that have the rounds edges rather than the pointy ones,something about the design being for a specfic job and not really supposed to be used as a general scket set. Tbh 99% of my gear is MAC and the rep was spot on with replacing broken items even if i had abused them a little.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

My Snap On dealer is like that tho. One of the tools we all use a lot is a tool that we call a "hook tool", when in fact the Snap On tool in question is actually a "radiator hose pick"

Now you can imagine what we do with this in the automotive glass replacement industry! Just about everything lol. Prying up scuttle panels, cleaning out broken glass from door frames, removing switches and bits from door pads, etc.... This gets used EVERYDAY without fail and nowhere NEAR the job it was intended to be used for, and as such the point wears quickly to a blunt stub and can snap off aswell....

But even tho my dealer knows how we use em and what we use em for, he still replaces the blade on em everytime we ask!
Old 10-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Big Ad
Part of the Furniture

Well I just E-mailed Snap-On for him to complain. I just rung him to check and he said they have no been abused and they have not been used as Impact Sockets and they have not been used on an Air gun
Old 10-07-2006, 07:50 PM
scruffythefirst
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I use my halfords tools on the windy gun all the time, wander into any halfords on sunday afternoon with a handfull of bits of sockets / torx bits etc etc and walk out with new ones
Old 10-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scruffythefirst
I use my halfords tools on the windy gun all the time, wander into any halfords on sunday afternoon with a handfull of bits of sockets / torx bits etc etc and walk out with new ones
been there and done that, but with 24mm sockets - split 6 of them in a row
Old 10-07-2006, 08:07 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i was under the impression that from year 200* that snap on tools arent covered by a lifetime guarantee anymore, due to most of them being made by other companies! (Blue Point etc...)

Chris
Old 10-07-2006, 08:11 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

The Snap-On warranty doesn't cover wear but it does cover the socket spreading. Depends on the dealer.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Blue Point IS Snap On, but the name is registered differently for two reasons. 1) is for association - most of Blue Points stuff is specific to a type, and leans, usually, to industrial and 2) for tax reasons lol....
Old 10-07-2006, 08:21 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Are Blue Point a british company?
Old 10-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Thrush
My Snap On dealer is like that tho. One of the tools we all use a lot is a tool that we call a "hook tool", when in fact the Snap On tool in question is actually a "radiator hose pick"

Now you can imagine what we do with this in the automotive glass replacement industry! Just about everything lol. Prying up scuttle panels, cleaning out broken glass from door frames, removing switches and bits from door pads, etc.... This gets used EVERYDAY without fail and nowhere NEAR the job it was intended to be used for, and as such the point wears quickly to a blunt stub and can snap off aswell....

But even tho my dealer knows how we use em and what we use em for, he still replaces the blade on em everytime we ask!
Thrush- how much are they.. I use them when I install car kits- I loose 1 a year and find them difficult to source locally.

Jake
Old 10-07-2006, 08:24 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Buy em from Mac Tools mate, the quality are far better. I do (or did) have the full Snap On set and they bend very easily.

Chris
Old 10-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My ones are normally red handled (not snap on) and I haven't had any probs, apart from loosing em.. lol... I tend to leave them in peoples cars-
Old 10-07-2006, 08:30 PM
D.K.
BANNED
BANNED

We use snap on tools at work and have never had any probs getting them changed when they wear out or we bend them

I even got given a set of sockets and spanners and endless seatcovers for nowt,
Old 10-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by Shings

Thrush- how much are they.. I use them when I install car kits- I loose 1 a year and find them difficult to source locally.

Jake
Bout £16 IIRC.....

Originally Posted by cfoster
Are Blue Point a british company?
No, Blue Point [IS[/i] Snap On. Made in the same place, by the same company and made in the USA....

Least thats what my Snap On dealer tells me anyway....
Old 10-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

snapon tools DONT cover wear and tear, usually with worn tools the rep gets us to break em as he cant always change worn tools

i used my snapon large bladeded screwdriver to scrape all bumps ect off my WHOLE DOWNSTAIRS of my flats floor and worn the end out doing it ( ive never even used it as a screwdriver

anyway i took it too him ( about 2cm missing off the end to what should be there ) and he got me to snap the end off in a vice and got me a new tool

but alot depends on how much to sped ect on tools with him as lets face it if most of your main tools are cornwall and the chest is cornwall then why should he bend over to help out a non spender

the snaponman helps your as no matter what you get addicting to spending

i was gonna get a account with him but then i reaslied the error of that idea and just buy the tools out right these days,,,,,,,,, dont half sting when you spend 150 for a set of spanners of 75 quid for nut removal tools but atleast i dont have to hide in the toilets on fridaymornings like some of the mechanics

theres a apprentice at my work thats got a PROPER snapon cabinet that cost him 2500 and he got a psp,, that was1500 quid of his cash adn his credit and im not kidding you,,, hes drawers and 60% crap,,,,,,,, hes got hardly any decent tools and mist of his tools have been hand me downs from other techs as big tool kits need tools to fill em
Old 10-07-2006, 09:01 PM
fezzanut

i buy mostly mac tools cos the guy that sells them is good as gold and he will replace things no prob.snap on are very strict and never like replacing things.it seems all they want is your money and then nothing to do with you
Old 10-07-2006, 09:05 PM
RONNIE AMIS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

tell your mate to snap them then they've gotta replace them
Old 10-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

mate the snapon blokeideal with is a fucking star, he even pops by if i need a tool for that night of he can

and im not even a fucking tech but a moped driver
Old 10-07-2006, 09:14 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

jesus b19bal where have you been! I've missed spending countless hours trying to decipher your posts!!
Old 10-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

busy at work mate and never really had spare time to sor the pc out

im back, well for know,,,,,,,,, as im justhere to inspire me to finish th car

PS: where the fook did that car come from, the spec is UN REAL , wheres the white one too
Old 10-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ad,

I'm sure i've told you this before - but we're sponsored by snap-on at work, they told us all to make lists of the tools we needed - we sent them in, they arrived F.O.C

We etch them with our details and then in 6 months they get exchanged for new and the old sold as 'used by real F1 heroes'

Mr Snap-on himself came round on a factory tour a few months ago, excellent bloke, american, giving it big "Yee-haws" when he saw the cars

We also get 50%+ discount if we want to build our own toolkits up

Our Snap On bloke is spot on - if you've got any issues - send them down to me and i'll exchange them for you
Old 10-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Will - thats cool but you ARE in a different league comparred to us lowly automotive mechanics/technicians when it comes to Snap on sponsorship and company backing tho
Old 10-07-2006, 11:50 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

soz but personally I think snap on is overpriced bollx , I use halfords proffesional, and have abused fook out of the tools, even snapped a 1/2" extension bar clean in half when i had a 12ft scaffolding pole hanging off it with 3 of us jumping on it,trying to undo a rear cossie hub nut, and they replaced it without a word, and its cheap for it quality as well, can't go wrong in my humble opinion
Old 11-07-2006, 12:22 AM
scruffythefirst

I use halfords proffesional, and have abused fook out of the tools, even snapped a 1/2" extension bar clean in half when i had a 12ft scaffolding pole hanging off it with 3 of us jumping on it,trying to undo a rear cossie hub nut, Surpris and they replaced it without a word, and its cheap for it quality as well, can't go wrong in my humble opinion
The ratchet spanners are the best I've seen anywhere - even snap on. And they're always open on sunday, when you're most likely to break something.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:24 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As I said, I have replaced loads of tools, normally after abusing fuck out of them , and never even had an eyebrow raised at me , best thing is, you can buy a comprehensive tool kit that will prob see you through most jobs for the price of 5 snap on sockets and a breaker bar
Old 11-07-2006, 06:47 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have thousand sof pounds worth of Snap on tools ( those who have seen my box will know ) And i have never had a problem changing any tools ever , the only tools that dont get changed are electrical and air tools , they are only covered for 12 months ,
Even if a socket wears out it will be changed

Just spit your dummy out with the dealer and he will change it
Old 11-07-2006, 06:53 AM
Big Will_

Will - thats cool but you ARE in a different league comparred to us lowly automotive mechanics/technicians when it comes to Snap on sponsorship and company backing tho
Hasn't stopped me spending a small house deposit building up my own private set of tools

But yeah, i am pretty lucky in that respect
Old 11-07-2006, 08:12 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES
I have thousand sof pounds worth of Snap on tools ( those who have seen my box will know ) And i have never had a problem changing any tools ever , the only tools that dont get changed are electrical and air tools , they are only covered for 12 months ,
Even if a socket wears out it will be changed

Just spit your dummy out with the dealer and he will change it

But Paul, you ARE Mr Snap-On UK
Old 11-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by scruffythefirst
I use halfords proffesional, and have abused fook out of the tools, even snapped a 1/2" extension bar clean in half when i had a 12ft scaffolding pole hanging off it with 3 of us jumping on it,trying to undo a rear cossie hub nut, Surpris and they replaced it without a word, and its cheap for it quality as well, can't go wrong in my humble opinion
The ratchet spanners are the best I've seen anywhere - even snap on. And they're always open on sunday, when you're most likely to break something.

I also have two sets of Halford's Pro ratchet spanners (fixed head and flexi head) but I can also tell you, the ratchet part of the spanners are NOT covered under Halfords lifetime warrenty. I know this as I was a manager of a Halfords branch, and to my knowledge the policy hasn't changed/
Old 11-07-2006, 05:22 PM
scruffythefirst

I also have two sets of Halford's Pro ratchet spanners (fixed head and flexi head) but I can also tell you, the ratchet part of the spanners are NOT covered under Halfords lifetime warrenty. I know this as I was a manager of a Halfords branch, and to my knowledge the policy hasn't changed/
Just break the other end then
Old 11-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Big Ad
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Big Will 85
Ad,

I'm sure i've told you this before - but we're sponsored by snap-on at work, they told us all to make lists of the tools we needed - we sent them in, they arrived F.O.C

We etch them with our details and then in 6 months they get exchanged for new and the old sold as 'used by real F1 heroes'

Mr Snap-on himself came round on a factory tour a few months ago, excellent bloke, american, giving it big "Yee-haws" when he saw the cars

We also get 50%+ discount if we want to build our own toolkits up

Our Snap On bloke is spot on - if you've got any issues - send them down to me and i'll exchange them for you
He has had no joy again today with the rep. Will PM me your address and I'll send you them if you can change them for me
Old 11-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Big Will_

Ad, let me check when he's next in mate - got a feeling he's on holiday at the mo
Old 11-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Fast Guy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If he won't change them, tell the Snap on guy you're changing to Halfords tools as they have a proper lifetime guarentee
Old 11-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

halfords ratchet part aint covered BUT the staff wlll change em as they aint got a clue about what the waranty on em is
Old 11-07-2006, 09:30 PM
snap-on dan
Virgin

Default tools

Im a Snap-On dealer from the north west. I cant understand why he wont change them. Life time means life time.... ok if you have been using them on an air gun he may have a point, but to be honest we all know it goes on, he should just change them. Ask to speak to his area manager. Where are you from?
Old 12-07-2006, 07:28 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Which area do you cover Dan?

Quick Reply: Snap On