General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Q for Mums and Dads. Reflux? Any experience?

Search this Thread

Old 29-06-2006, 09:08 PM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Q for Mums and Dads. Reflux? Any experience?

As title. Have any of your kids suffered with this?
Have a fantastic 4 month old daughter who seems to be burdened with it. Cant fault her other than that.
Is there anything to stop it or lessen it? She's on Gaviscon at the moment but that just makes the sick thicker.

Sorry to post this on here for those of you that don't have babaies, but its a bloody nuisance.
Old 29-06-2006, 09:25 PM
spenner
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my mates daughter suffered with this mate gaviscon is what they gave her as well but as i remember it was something to do with an under developed stomach and she just grew out of it i know this is probably not much help at minute its horrible seeing your children suffer like this i hpe she gets better soon mate
Old 29-06-2006, 09:33 PM
lawnsy
PassionFord Post Troll

all 3 of my kids had it .........we put gaviscon in every bottle then keep them sat up a bit after the bottle
Old 29-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my daughter has it and she has the infant gaviscon sachets prescribed by the doctor as soon as she is laid down she screams, most people confuse it with colic and wonder why they cant stop it by winding the baby. it is caused by the valve in the stomach not being formed properly so when the baby is laid down the acid comes back up which causes them pain (exactly like we get indigestion). The best thing for sleeping is to stick a few books under the legs at the head end of the cot so its raised so the acid stays down same idea for the pram but use a rolled towel under the mattress or something, they do grow out of it eventually its normally premature babies that get it cos the stomach hasn't formed fully.

our lass typed everything above, far to intelligent for me.
Old 29-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Kia_Breizzze
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

might want to ask on http://www.womenshealthandpleasure.com/forum - specifically for moms/moms to be and parenting.

Usually get a few different suggestions from the mommies on there

apologies if I wasn't allowed to post a link
Old 29-06-2006, 09:53 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Fiddy UK
my daughter has it and she has the infant gaviscon sachets prescribed by the doctor as soon as she is laid down she screams, most people confuse it with colic and wonder why they cant stop it by winding the baby. it is caused by the valve in the stomach not being formed properly so when the baby is laid down the acid comes back up which causes them pain (exactly like we get indigestion). The best thing for sleeping is to stick a few books under the legs at the head end of the cot so its raised so the acid stays down same idea for the pram but use a rolled towel under the mattress or something, they do grow out of it eventually its normally premature babies that get it cos the stomach hasn't formed fully.

our lass typed everything above, far to intelligent for me.
My little boy was premature and had it, my wifes just pretty much said as above, but she has siad if you speak to your health visitor you can get some Special milk called something like 'Pre-digested' milk which they can hold down better...
Old 30-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My son had reflux too but it wasn't too bad and he wasn't prescribed anything for it. He used to spew after every bloody bottle
You just have to carefully sit them up and NO sudden movements
Old 30-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Jemma
Dan's Ass Kicker

Originally Posted by Lambchop
My son had reflux too but it wasn't too bad and he wasn't prescribed anything for it. He used to spew after every bloody bottle
You just have to carefully sit them up and NO sudden movements
Thats exactly what my son had I was worried as i thought he wouldnt put any weight on and go really underweight but looking back at baby pics he was a right chubby baby.. bless

My cousin had it too but would projectile vomit too, I know its nasty but would be funny if it got someone over the other side of the room
Old 30-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Projecile vomit from babies is amazing! How someone so little can spew so much and so far is beyond me!
Old 30-06-2006, 10:49 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

my son had this when he was a tiddler
the doc said we had to feed him almost sitting up and not to let him have too much feed in one go
he still gets all grumpy if we lay him down, but it's only when he's not had a feed, if he's had it then he's fine

we wern't prescribed anything for it as it wasn't a real big deal, but he seems to be getting better (4 1/2 months old now)

as many have said, they tend to grow out of it and it's normally premature babies that get it, but mine was 2 weeks late and he still had a dicky tum
doc said it was colic at first too, didn't know it was so common though
Old 30-06-2006, 11:08 AM
lisa10
PassionFord Regular

Default Hiya

Hiya

My mate had something prescribed to put in the bottle, weird stuff, went hard if left, apparently it does something to the milk, like make it more solid when it hits the stomach?? making it less likely to be thrown up.

I do know every child is different though and im not sure of the exact details just know that she had to add this to the bottles..

lisa