General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

You know the "Fake" carpark upramp drifting on F+F

Search this Thread

Old 24-06-2006, 07:13 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You know the "Fake" carpark upramp drifting on F+F

...it wasnt fake

Coming into the film, Leonard expected many stunts would have to be done with mechanical contraptions substituting for driving talent. That included the deed done that night in Hawthorne-pretending-to-be-Tokyo: running a 350Z sideways up a spiral ramp not quite as wide as that Nissan was long.

"Originally they were going to tow it up the ramp," explains Millen. "But I measured out the car and estimated the slip angle and the speed, and saw that I'd have 6 or 7 inches on either side. It was just prior knowledge of speed slip angles and proximity. So I did it."

Millen makes it sound easy, but watching him was mind-boggling. Starting on the second floor a few yards behind the ramp's lip he'd have the engine screaming before dumping the clutch, and the gray Z was already sideways as it bottomed on the thin metal drain where the ramp and garage deck abut. A few loud moments later the Nissan would practically leap onto the top floor, Millen would hit the brakes and the turbos could be heard spooling down through their waste gates. Several cameras recorded the action from different angles.

Millen did this at least a dozen times while wearing a black wig instead of a helmet, and every time he got out of the car it looked as if his heart rate hadn't nudged up. He never put nose or tail into either wall and it seemed that the car was perfectly equidistant from them every run. It was a humility check for those of us who consider ourselves good drivers but know we couldn't do that without a talent transplant.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=115709

Now I think about it, knowing what the top drivers can do, it dont suprise me, as I could tell the rest was real (some CGI backgrounds etc mind) as seen all that done loadaa times before.

Mental tho

And a serious cap in the ass for everyone, inc me, whos slagged that bit off right from the previews etc as being unrealisitc gayness
Old 24-06-2006, 07:16 AM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 24-06-2006, 07:18 AM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

pretty close to the walls.
Old 24-06-2006, 08:08 AM
Urban Legend
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats AMAZING
Old 24-06-2006, 08:13 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 24-06-2006, 08:22 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Brilliant bit of driving, but at this

"Millen would hit the brakes and the turbos could be heard spooling down through their waste gates"

Old 24-06-2006, 09:16 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frog
Brilliant bit of driving, but at this

"Millen would hit the brakes and the turbos could be heard spooling down through their waste gates"

dont start mike off,, he will be writing another letter
Old 24-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Fucking awesome bit of driving then, i never would have thought it possible
Old 24-06-2006, 07:46 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

must be true, it's on the internet

impressive if it is true though
Old 24-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
must be true, it's on the internet

impressive if it is true though
ROFL
Old 24-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe it was real but the film was total shite
Old 24-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Zetecfiesta
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cool driving!
Old 25-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Class film
Old 25-06-2006, 11:32 AM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

Increadable.

I guess sometimes we can't see the wood for the trees.

Anyone seen the drifting scene from the Dukes Of Hazzard movie extras. Not the one of it coming past the camera but the top down shot of the driver doing 2 laps of the roundabout with cars in both the inside and outside lanes?
Old 25-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

its real, wow, very talented
Old 25-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Im just SO confident that if i had 100,000 attempts at that i still couldnt do it!

Doesnt seem even vaguely possible!
Old 25-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by chip-3door
Im just SO confident that if i had 100,000 attempts at that i still couldnt do it!

Doesnt seem even vaguely possible!
Thats what skill and practice does, people underestimate what is possible.
Go to a D1GP event and see what they like in the Tsuiso rounds, the caps are just as close, but they doing about 100mph and the thing they keeping that close a gap from is moving too and trying to widen the gap...
Old 25-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Steve, one thing that does show on that film is the mountain roads over there explain why no one over here is ever going to be as good as the top jap boys, there just isnt anywhere in this country that compares in terms of how windy the road is and how good the surface is for brits to practice on, all our windy roads are all too badly maintained.

Going to a drift practice session at a track once a week or once a forntight is never going to compare to going out on those roads practically every night.
Old 25-06-2006, 01:09 PM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

Steve has a local touge he practices on I believe.
Old 25-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Steve, one thing that does show on that film is the mountain roads over there explain why no one over here is ever going to be as good as the top jap boys, there just isnt anywhere in this country that compares in terms of how windy the road is and how good the surface is for brits to practice on, all our windy roads are all too badly maintained.

Going to a drift practice session at a track once a week or once a forntight is never going to compare to going out on those roads practically every night.
Oh comeon Chip, your a clever bloke..

You dont honestly believe the japs REALLY spend all their free time drifting mountain roads do you?
Apart from the fact that mountain road thing in the film was shot in the USA, most the jap ones are full of barriers between the lanes etc these days anyhow to stop it.
They drift in the same places people do in the UK, on the track and on the normal streets in industrial areas etc in the dead of night, and very few of the competing ones would take it to the streets at all (unlike the UK ones, ahem ).

There are suitable roads here too, wheras the Jap ones are 2 lane wide stuff youd have to have balls of steel to practice on, I know of a road near me (well, 15miles away) thats the same, constant corners you could drift non stop for over a mile (all 2nd and 3rd gear stuff, 4th if you got the power, grip, and balls), and is 3 lanes wide of smooth tarmac. As long as you got a spotter at the bottom with a walkie talkie, its a bit safer.
Still totally write your car off badly on it tho, but slightly less madness than the Jap mountain roads.
Old 25-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Stavros
Oh comeon Chip, your a clever bloke..

You dont honestly believe the japs REALLY spend all their free time drifting mountain roads do you?
I certainly dont believe its a long standing part of their entire culture with old men sat fishing talking about when they used to drift in the 60s if thats what you mean, but likewise i genuinely cant think of any roads near me that REALLY lend themselves to it as well as those in the film (which i must admit i didnt know were in the US!)

There are suitable roads here too, wheras the Jap ones are 2 lane wide stuff youd have to have balls of steel to practice on, I know of a road near me (well, 15miles away) thats the same, constant corners you could drift non stop for over a mile (all 2nd and 3rd gear stuff, 4th if you got the power, grip, and balls), and is 3 lanes wide of smooth tarmac. As long as you got a spotter at the bottom with a walkie talkie, its a bit safer.
Still totally write your car off badly on it tho, but slightly less madness than the Jap mountain roads.
That sounds good, would certainly like to see that sometime
Old 25-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Rene
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Passionford drift team?
Old 25-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Rene
Passionford drift team?
Sounds like a great idea, just dont use fords
Old 25-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Rene
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you mean either engine failure or wall scraping?

Doing some high speed drifting .. full opposite lock and all ur left with is the steering wheel snaps of the rack
Old 25-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Rene
you mean either engine failure or wall scraping?

Doing some high speed drifting .. full opposite lock and all ur left with is the steering wheel snaps of the rack
No i just mean they dont seem to be very good at it, suspension technology and lack of lock being the main reasons i guess?

There just dont seem to be any fords at all at the top of drifting despite their repuation for sideways action (i know that irish kid won gt battle though)
Old 25-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Rene
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ah well as long as i can do sideways
Old 25-06-2006, 01:49 PM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

I don't see why you couldn't use an old Ford for drifting professionally, the main drawback would be the lack of knowledge and experience available for the car. You can buy a 200sx and get tonnes and tonnes of advice and opinions about how to set it up. Buy a Ford and you're on your own a bit, so why bother?

I believe Steve posted a technical query on here about increasing the lock on a Sierra and bascially nobody had any answers... I think.
Old 25-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by MWF
I don't see why you couldn't use an old Ford for drifting professionally, the main drawback would be the lack of knowledge and experience available for the car. You can buy a 200sx and get tonnes and tonnes of advice and opinions about how to set it up. Buy a Ford and you're on your own a bit, so why bother?

I believe Steve posted a technical query on here about increasing the lock on a Sierra and bascially nobody had any answers... I think.
think markk seams to be the only person with much knowledge in this.there is maybe more but they just dont seem to post about it
sure sumone like brom could make things to help,dunno how expensive they would be tho
Old 26-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

And a serious cap in the ass for everyone, inc me, whos slagged that bit off right from the previews etc as being unrealisitc gayness
Thats me then!!!
Old 26-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Sierras have fuck all steering lock (know how that sorted now, but not simple) and wank suspension geometry (well mainly that its not that adjustable without changing the whole lot).
Apart from that they have no other real disadvantages, its just they start with 2 huge ones

Once the Skylines gone sometime in the future you might well see a top (ie full on D1GP) spec Sierra drift car...
Old 26-06-2006, 09:08 AM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

I went to see it at the cinema with a group of friends (12 of them current competing drifters, 4 of them D1 eligible) and none of them commented on the upramp sequence being fake..

Most things are possible...
Old 26-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by DaveAVT
I went to see it at the cinema with a group of friends (12 of them current competing drifters, 4 of them D1 eligible) and none of them commented on the upramp sequence being fake..

Most things are possible...
Which ones?
Old 26-06-2006, 10:23 AM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

James Grimsey, Steve Carter, Steve Dunn, Mat Scolding, Simon Thorpe, Jason Davis, Ben Taylor..
Old 26-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Anonymous
Banned

James Grimsey, Steve Carter, Steve Dunn, Mat Scolding, Simon Thorpe, Jason Davis, Ben Taylor..

you appear to be 5 short, or are the others cunts not worth mentioning?
Old 26-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

And only 1 of them (Big James) has a D1 licence

I didnt give a toss about that, just wondered who he knew that I did too, as I know Steve, James, etc etc pretty well.
Old 26-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

I certainly dont believe its a long standing part of their entire culture with old men sat fishing talking about when they used to drift in the 60s if thats what you mean, but likewise i genuinely cant think of any roads near me that REALLY lend themselves to it as well as those in the film (which i must admit i didnt know were in the US!)

That old man sat fishing is a cameo from the Japanese ‘Drift King’ Keiichi Tsuchiya. Apparently pretty much the man who started it all.

You may have seen him on his "Drift Bible" DVD?
Old 26-06-2006, 10:45 AM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

And only 1 of them (Big James) has a D1 licence
And a D1 eligible car......., Simon, Steve and Steve are eligible but can't really stump up the money for all the new regs...
Old 26-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Garage19

That old man sat fishing is a cameo from the Japanese ‘Drift King’ Keiichi Tsuchiya. Apparently pretty much the man who started it all.

You may have seen him on his "Drift Bible" DVD?
No mate, never seen it.

cool cameo though by the sounds of it
Old 26-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

How are they eligable if they didnt get a D1 licence? This is the first year for D1, they not new regs, they just the D1 regs.

Steve Dunn did the licencing event with the SVA 350 but as he didnt get to have any practice in the car beforehand he didnt get a licence.

They all v.good tho mind.

Quick Reply: You know the "Fake" carpark upramp drifting on F+F