General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

A Spicey Lil'Vauxhall..........

Search this Thread

Old 25-05-2006, 08:27 AM
BillyCabrio
10K+ Poster!!

Location: Dartford, Kent - Home of the two way one way system.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A Spicey Lil'Vauxhall..........

Wild 200bhp Corsa VXR

Warms up hot on the heels of last week's first official pictures of Vauxhall's new Corsa comes this... the VXR version.

It's set to be the fastest supermini hot hatch in its class, because the pocket rocket boasts 200bhp from a 1.6-litre turbocharged engine.

With a top speed of 150mph and the 0-60mph sprint covered in six seconds, it's the ultimate sporting flagship for the new Corsa range. And as you can see from our pictures, it will have the looks to rival its searing acceleration, too.

Taking inspiration from the Astra VXR, the quickest Corsa features big air intakes with honeycomb grilles, bulging wheelarches and a ground-hugging front spoiler. However, one of the most distinctive styling additions is a sculpted rear bumper complete with Venturi-style tunnels and a central triangular shaped exhaust pipe.

Together with 17-inch alloy wheels and a bold array of colours - including a VXR-exclusive white - it's sure to be the most head-turning supermini hot hatch around when it goes on sale.

In their bid to make the newcomer the most powerful model in its class - a title which was recently claimed by the storming new 197bhp Renault-Sport Clio - engineers have increased output from the 170bhp of early development models to a staggering 200bhp. That will ensure blistering acceleration, making the Corsa VXR nearly as rapid as its Astra brother.

Stiffened and lowered suspension, along with Vauxhall's CDC electronic dampers, plus the very latest stability control systems, will ensure that all the power reaches the road. However, driving the car will still be a raw experience - test engineers have spent months at the Nürburgring circuit in Germany honing the Corsa VXR to be as involving as possible.

As with the Astra VXR, the Corsa will get a Sport button on the dashboard which sharpens up the suspension, steering, dampers and throttle response. The Corsa will also feature heavily bolstered sports seats, carbon fibre trim and VXR badging inside. And although it will be fitted with climate control and an MP3-compatible sound system as standard, it won't have much in the way of luxury kit.

Vauxhall is very keen to keep costs down and position the Corsa VXR as an affordable driver's car - so a price tag of just under £16,000 is likely when the newcomer goes on sale in January. Prospective buyers will be able to get their first glimpse of the new hot hatch at the Paris Motor Show in September.

Aggressive bodykit hints at VXR's mighty performance

Triangular exhaust and Venturi tunnel will appear on production car

Vauxhall's engineers have spent the past few months track testing the newcomer to ensure that it offers maximum driving thrills

Will Ford have anything to compete against it?
Old 25-05-2006, 08:29 AM
JRST
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no ford
Old 25-05-2006, 08:46 AM
saffsta
Advanced PassionFord User

Who knows they better had do lol
Old 25-05-2006, 08:52 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

If it's as shit as the astra vxr it'll be a shame
Old 25-05-2006, 08:52 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

that could be an interesting wee car! not bad for a corsa
Old 25-05-2006, 08:53 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like it has already been "boy'd" up .
Old 25-05-2006, 08:54 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Bloody ugly, had it been in a nicer shell it would look a lot better. Could be the kick up the arse ford need.
Old 25-05-2006, 08:58 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by saff_cossie
Could be the kick up the arse ford need.
Why, is there a massive untapped market for a 200bhp supermini at £14-15k?

Old 25-05-2006, 09:01 AM
AMC_XR3i
Regular Contributor

Bloody ugly, had it been in a nicer shell it would look a lot better. Could be the kick up the arse ford need.
Exactly, wtf are Ford doing? I'm sure i heard somewhere that they are going to or already have scrapped the RS so it's going to be just ST's from now on. Not sure if thats true but I'm sure I heard that somewhere. As for the Corsa, I think if they had thought a little more about how it looks it could have been a decent little car.
Old 26-05-2006, 05:05 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by MattRS1600i
Could be the kick up the arse ford need.
Why, is there a massive untapped market for a 200bhp supermini at £14-15k?

Could well be especially with fuel prices going up. The Renault Clio V6 seemed to do OK, not heard any bad reports from their camp. The ST Fiesta is nice but 200bhp for the same $$ would appeal more I am sure.
Old 26-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome move by vauxhall i reckon
Old 26-05-2006, 07:36 AM
andy_st200
PassionFord Post Troll

i personally think vauxhall bringing out all these supposed performance models is their last ditch attempt to sell some cars..

GM group are in dire straights, saab is loosing money hand over fist as no one wants to basically buy a vectra with a saab badge on it, which is all saabs are nowdays

i reckon their going the same way as rover pushing the mg models .. i just hope holdon get sold off to someone before it all goes belly up