General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Toilet training a feckin Cat?!

Search this Thread

Old 24-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toilet training a feckin Cat?!

Cats are normally clean animals right? Dont usually need to train them, they sort themselfs out pretty much.

Well our car needs some feckin training

Thing knows how to ask to go out, but doesnt, just decides to pee wherever it feels like, inc on beds (not mine at least )

Thought it was cause of the dog (tho our old cat was fine) bu the dog died about a month back and the cats worth if anything now.

Any ideas? Its a perfectly fine cat barring it pisses inside all the time
Old 24-04-2006, 08:56 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Start getting it to shit in a dirt box, then once its used to that mix soil in with it and then eventually get rid of the dirt box!
Old 24-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Keep him off the bed to start with, maybe out the bedroom. Get some repellant spray for any places he pee's regularly...........litter tray inside ? If not get one. Maybe the cats lazy and can't be arsed to go out, hence the slashing. If he's got a litter tray he'll be better. Failing all that, ask the vet.
Old 24-04-2006, 08:58 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long have you had it? Most likely marking territory.
Old 24-04-2006, 09:01 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Its either pi55ing cos its scared or marking its terratory.
Ours did it when she moved in. She pi55ed on my pillow NOT HAPPY....

We emailed the lady who we adopted her off and her vet emailed us. Ill find it and post it up. She never done it again and fully humane!
Old 24-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

how old is the cat?

my mate wanted a kitten and i found someone who had one for him. as it turned out the kitten also used to piss EVERYWHERE and cat piss is not nice
in the end they couldnt retrain him at all and had to give him to cats protection league
they got another kitten who doesnt piss everywhere but has wrecked almost everything they own. a proper little bastard

i love cats but these 2 weren't much fun
Old 24-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

We've had the thing for a few years, and yes, got litter tray.

Was ok, only did stuff now n again, but its got worse and worse, beyond a joke now
Old 24-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

ahhh its not a young cat. only option is a cat nappy or get rid then
Old 24-04-2006, 09:09 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Itsmeagain
We've had the thing for a few years, and yes, got litter tray.

Was ok, only did stuff now n again, but its got worse and worse, beyond a joke now
Has another cat been in and pee'd and he's laying his scent down over the top ? I had that exact same thing with some fucking bastard cat over the back of me. When I catch that fucker it's going to have a rather large headache. Fucker was in my kitchen twice this evening as I had the back door open.
Old 24-04-2006, 09:09 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Be a shame to get rid, as shes totally fine barring she seems to like pissing in her house

But still
Old 24-04-2006, 09:11 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Litter Box Training

It's important to make sure that you train the cat correctly in the first place. As a kitten, every time that she looks like she's about to crouch or she starts sniffing near a corner (classic signs of oncoming urination or defecation), pick her up and put her in the litter box. Also, first thing in the morning, put your kitten in the litter box. Kittens learn extremely quickly.

The most important reason why a cat stops using litter box is that the litter box may not be clean. Make sure that you clean the litter box every day, and completely change all the litter and wash the box out at least once a week. That will help encourage your cat.

Unless a cat is not fully trained in the toilet habits, don't let her a free run of your house. Keep her confined to a small area.

Cats never shit where they eat, so put her food bowl near wherever she had the accident.

Don't punish a cat after she had made the mistake. That will make the cat fearful of you. Scolding and then taking the cat to litter box after she has eliminated will make her to associate litter box with punishment.

Reward your cat for eliminating in the litter box. In order to do so you must be present there at the time when she eliminates. You need to have an idea when the cat urinates or defecates. Most cats eliminate after waking, eating and exercise. To help predict the toilet behavior of the cat feed her at regular times. Praise her whenever she litters in litter box.
Old 24-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Sexy-RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Not good confine it to one room when your not about with a litter box? Orange peel where it pisses is supposed to be good. My cat done it when she was young as the older cat was terrorising her.

Since i moved she never done it since lol And the kitten i got this year from the day i got him at 8 weeks untill today has never had an accident on the floor once bless him I think boy cats are generaly cleaner than girls tho.... If he spills a bit of food over the side of his bowl he scrapes at the floor trying to cover it up
Old 24-04-2006, 09:23 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

If the cat is old, could be two things imo.

-Litter box too dirty, needs cleaning - our eldest doesn't like a dirty litter box and shows it by weeing elsewhere
-Your cat is old and becoming incontinent (does happen)
-She has cystitis, it hurts her to wee so she holds it as long as possible, until she can't anymore, and where she is, is where it happens If there is a little blood in the urine, that will be it.
-Try and move the litter tray to where she seems to wee most at the moment, might help her get back into the swing of things if she's got confused somehow.

Hope this helps
Old 24-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

i reckon if you have to reteach her then do it like the cat from Meet The Parents
Old 24-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Linsay
PassionFord Post Troll

Hasn't got cystitis has it? seriously
My 17 year old cat was very clean, but once it rained for 3 days and nights straight and it refused to get it's feet wet, ended up wetting itself cos she'd held it in, she'd made herself have cystitis. A vet visit cured it
Old 24-04-2006, 09:33 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by frog
If the cat is old, could be two things imo.

-Litter box too dirty, needs cleaning - our eldest doesn't like a dirty litter box and shows it by weeing elsewhere
-Your cat is old and becoming incontinent (does happen)
-She has cystitis, it hurts her to wee so she holds it as long as possible, until she can't anymore, and where she is, is where it happens If there is a little blood in the urine, that will be it.
-Try and move the litter tray to where she seems to wee most at the moment, might help her get back into the swing of things if she's got confused somehow.

Hope this helps
that looks like 3 possible causes and 1 way to help if i do the maths
Old 24-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

steve, its not about being clean, cats are very clean animals yes, pissing isnt dirty to them, its attractive! most common reasons for a cat to turn to doing this is illness or stress. sounds wiersd but cats get very stressed at the slightest of things. moving furniture about for eg seems like fuck all, but to a cat its huge. illnesses - urinary tract infections etc will cause her to do this. strangely the more dependant cats become the more likely they are to do this, beds - the more they depend on the owner the more likely they are to piss on their bed when they arent there. sounds weird and wank i know but distance yourself from the cat and give them there own space. dont know how that fits with yours? make any sense?

i have 2 cats (2 year old bro and sis) and have just moved house, i speak from experience and research. mostly sorted now but still needs attention.