General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Soundcard/Gameport Help PLZ :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 02:00 PM
The Rapid 1
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soundcard/Gameport Help PLZ :(

Hi am building a little PC for my son.

Nothing to hard in that lol,

BUT

I want it to play some if not all his old Dos games while running windows XP

Ive got a program to run sounds in Dos

Trouble is I want to use the old style 15 pin joystick port so should work in Dos (this program I've got has got an enable joystick option)

Problem is had an old SB card lying arround and when installed all worked EXCEPT gameport (joystick)

In the system/hardware section it shows there is a problem with it, it is giving an error 12 code (shared resources) the resources it was using was 0200- something

Went out and bought just a cheapie sound card with gameport, installed it all and same problem except resources used this time are 0201-0201

have viewed my PC by connection with viewing hidden devices and gone thru them all and cant find anything using them resources

This is on a fresh install of XP with the soundcard being the only drivers installed (not even the graphics card ones) (but have now installed these)

Any help as how to get this gameport working as that the only reason for not using onboard sound (which the sound prog ive got did work in Dos games ) even bought a usb to 15 pin gameport converter which nearly works lol, it did give joystick control in windows games but not in the old dos ones, and seeing as some of his fav games are Dos would really like to beat this

If you need any reports of the PC set up plz ask and tell me how to get what you want and will post the details up.

Just gonna go have a quick look through the MB manual to see if can find anything in there

THANKS

Steve

Oh PS was going thru Creative help and sent them some NFO file of my system they asked for and tried turning off starup group items which didnt help and moving card to different (all) other PCI slots which still didnt help, also tried altering different bios settings like disabling second ide port floppy lpt1 com1 changing irq's of slot card in, still no go

PLZ HELP lol
Old 03-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

you have top do properies on the device and look in the resources section and find out whats its conflicting with.

then find that device, do resources on it, and change them to something else (again, not a conflict)

do a quick google on "device manager resources howto" and you should find some insuructions
Old 03-04-2006, 07:02 PM
The Rapid 1

lol have just found the LINK

it dont tell me what its conflicting with

been through everything in system hardware device manager listed by connection and showing all hidden items cant find anything else on the same resources, unless it in the middle of summit like 03bb- ff3e (not real things but mean if it in the middle of some of the binary numbers I aint got a clue )

willl have a look on google for what u say

Thanks for input

Steve
Old 03-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

code 12 is deffo a resource conflict, SOMETHING is using I/O 200 (ignore the last 3 digits, just concentrate on the 1st 3 before the dash)

if it doesnt tell you, keep changing it until you find one that it works on
Old 03-04-2006, 08:07 PM
The Rapid 1

Soz should have said, but have tried all the options it gave me, would only allow me to do so by changing from basic configuration 0 to config 1 and then gave me about 3 options to which they all said no

Have just found this by googling so looks like might be a MB chipset issue

Did anyone ever Figure out away to Get a soundCard Gameport to work????
This is something that is really bugging me and just about half the world
of nforce chipset mobo owners.

have found a few cases now and all suffering same problem round I/O 0201, will mail the MB maker and see what they say and see if they know what might be using the I/O

(did right a longer better detailed reply but the board eat it )

Steve
Old 03-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

tuen off automatic settings. select basic config 5 (or one of the bottom bits) then highlight the resource, and click change.

change it to one thats NOT conflicting
Old 03-04-2006, 08:35 PM
The Rapid 1

Thats what I just said I did

Cept it only gives me two config options, basic 0000 and 0001, changed it to the second one and this only gives three maybe 4 (bloody binary numbers all look the same to me) and they all say conflict cant use them

Steve
Old 03-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

lol.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:45 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

put it in another PCI slot
Old 04-04-2006, 05:13 AM
The Rapid 1

Been there tried that in THE five different slots the MB got, no others being used so had freedom of any but without any luck, this is the reason I think it a bit more involved

Keep comming up with the ideas tho chaps, all and any appreciated

Steve
Old 04-04-2006, 06:46 PM
The Rapid 1

Minor development that may help some of you clever people out there (just confusing me more )

Had a look on the MB manufacturers site, and was reading thru the Bios updates.

They up to about 10 now, BUT on the second revision there is an update to REMOVE Midi option from the bios, so I flashed to that, and lo and behold now in my bios there is options to change addresses or disable Midi AND gameports. (no port on MB BTW)

I tried to enable gameport at address 201 and a new gameport appeared in windows at address 201 with no conflicts, but my original one was still there on the same address with conflicts, tried joystick anyway but wouldnt work tried disabling the conflicting one and still nothing (bear in mind what I think is that the joystick is pluged into the souncard port which is the one with conflicts so doesnt then see the stick).

Anyways tried various disablings of both ports and different bios address settings for the gameport AND Midi settings but still no go.

So my thinking now is that they are reserved on the MB somehow either if I disable them doest allow my sound card to use them or if I enable them then creates conflicts and the MB wins.

can anyone shed any light on what/where the addresses are and what they mean
Game port= disabled/201/209
Midi Port= disabled/330/300/290 all at irq 10

Also does anyone know of a soundcard that has an adjustable address setting allowable for the gameport.

This is really begining to bug me now hate being beaten

Steve
Old 04-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

the motherboard DOES have a gamneport slot you need to get the connector for it. it'll have a backing plate like a PCI slot with the connector on it, and a little connector that plugs onto the motherboard.

this is what you just enabled

one of these sort of cables (1st one i found on google)
http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/PLATE15F.htm
Old 04-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

what soundcard is it? and does it have jumpers on it?
Old 04-04-2006, 07:18 PM
The Rapid 1

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
the motherboard DOES have a gamneport slot you need to get the connector for it. it'll have a backing plate like a PCI slot with the connector on it, and a little connector that plugs onto the motherboard.

this is what you just enabled

one of these sort of cables (1st one i found on google)
http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/PLATE15F.htm
Read all thru my manual this morning and couldnt see any ref to it or how to connect to one if it existed, cos that was what i was hoping to try, any ides what it would look like Jim
BUT do bear in mind the manufactures have removed that option from their BIOS and when I bought that MB it was already on a latter bios revision than the one ive flashed to, so may have been removed from the board before the bios update hence they removed it from the bios options probs because people were asking where it is OR so I recon lol

what soundcard is it? and does it have jumpers on it?
Ive got a couple now knocking round lol, spose the "better" one of them is a creative SB audio PCI with chip CT4810 with the serial numbers on the back begining 16 which makes the rev of the card a CT4816

The only jumpers on it are for for speaker outputs by the looks (says line out/speaker out depending on settings)

Had a look on mobo but cant see anything that looks like a cable can connect to it (havent had a look at the link u sent me yet to get an idea of what it may look like ) except the norm usb 934 firewire irda and sata connectors

as said dont wont major expense on this as only for the boy using old components i got kicking round and dont really want the expense of a new mb or processor,(have got an old mobo kicking around that will take an athlon X64 processor but not a spare processor lol or would have used that )

Thanks for all the effort Jim

Steve
Old 04-04-2006, 07:22 PM
The Rapid 1

HAd a look at the cable in your link and tbh was what I was expecting, and cant see anything on the mobo like it which isnt one of the things I already stated and accounted for

Like I said looks like the mobo manufactures have removed it

Steve
Old 04-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

it'll look like a load of bare pins, 16pin IIRC (2 rows of 8)

bck to moving resources about methinks

in device manager goto view... devices by connection.

expand IO and inf the device thats using IO 200

change THAT device
Old 04-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

ps ignore all the 000000 before it.

it'll look like 0000200-201 the bold bit is the important bit
Old 04-04-2006, 07:38 PM
The Rapid 1

it'll look like a load of bare pins, 16pin IIRC (2 rows of 8)

bck to moving resources about methinks

in device manager goto view... devices by connection.

expand IO and inf the device thats using IO 200

change THAT device

Trouble is as I said before I cant find anything else that tells me it using them addresses, and have even gone to the option of showing hidden devices which i thought should have shown me everything no matter how dodgy changing them may be lol
Only one it will let me change is the soundcard one, and not even that on the one i got in there now, the older creative one gave me two opttions 201 or 209 which by back dating the bios i have since seen that they are/ seem to be reserved /set for the nforce chip onboard gameport which my MB dont have

I have been to the mobo site and they dont seem to have a way to contact them (DFI and the mobo is the NFII ultra infinity , feel free to see if u can see a way to contact them as would like to ask them a few questions )

think im running out of options and the only way to make this work is a soundcard with better options of setting addresses

Steve