General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Is there a GT series turbo ideal for 400bhp max + Anti Lag?

Search this Thread

Old 22-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markk
there is a noted problem with the GT series and the fact that they fall apart if a feather is dropped on the core , there that weak,

i looked into a GT series and found nothing but a whole load of broken turbo parts, so sacked it off. i use the group A T34 all up, works very well with ALS,
as for not feeling the effects Steve on a loose surface, you have never driven through a forrest at competetive speeds so ..................... for you

it does make a hell of a differance in the forrest, makes the car alot more predictable on the loose, funnily due to the lack of lag

the noise and the heat are definatly the downsides, the heat build up under the bonnet takes some serious managment to keep control of it so i found. and the noise, well we all know about that

its banned on most single venue events for the type thats the norm on cossies due to the excessive noise/backfiring created, but for the forrests, there is no better sounds than listsneing to a rally car on full chat with als on in the woods

i should do more spectating rather than driving !
I do need it to be totally predictable yes, but sideways on tarmac mostly, the whole car has to be. I value all this input, I really dont want to shorten an engines life for the cause if i cant even use the damn thing on circuit or street
I already possibly have a great turbo for the job, the T34, but not if I cant use it anywhere, failing that i will have to find a GT series turbo that spools up as quick as an anti lagged T series
Old 22-03-2006, 08:28 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr C
I already possibly have a great turbo for the job, the T34, but not if I cant use it anywhere, failing that i will have to find a GT series turbo that spools up as quick as an anti lagged T series

spools up as quick as something thats already spooled is a pretty tall order.
even more so at 200bhp per litre!
Old 23-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Chip is bob on, no turbo will have the same effect as properly effective ALS.

It dont even feel like a turbo car, its the part throttle stuff more than just no lag at full throttle, the throttle control is off the charts.
Old 23-03-2006, 09:13 AM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven Escos equipped with race spec T4 and very agressive ALS - boost 2.2 bar held, 1.7 bar off the throttle on ALS, INCREDIBLE FEEL. I was just sliding all the time taking advantege of 3 uprated diffs and LOL'ing all the time. Engine response, sounds and the way you can extract yourself from tight corner is simply amazing. I would love to have ALS even on my way to university
Old 23-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask Damo to post up his figures for his turbo (which is on current spec fuel) and then you'll see how good it is. You certainly don't really need ALS on 0.48 a/r, as it is very easy to keep on the boil.
Old 23-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Wow, ive driven very agressive ALS on a T34, but on a T4, 1.7bar off throttle, jesus wept, that must feel incredible
Old 23-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Ask Damo to post up his figures for his turbo (which is on current spec fuel) and then you'll see how good it is. You certainly don't really need ALS on 0.48 a/r, as it is very easy to keep on the boil.
Its fuck all to do with keeping it on the boil IMO, there more to it than that, the difference agressive ALS makes even to a .48 T34 is huge.
Old 23-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Itsmeagain
Wow, ive driven very agressive ALS on a T34, but on a T4, 1.7bar off throttle, jesus wept, that must feel incredible
The car won't be 100% ready for the Ring but I hope it gets there and doesn't brake the transmission. It's BD-16's, standard comp, reinforced everyting engine internals-wise, T4 with some custom smaller exhaust wheel, Motec menaged...

And the noise it makes - some people said after my test drive "it sounded like there was some distant battle in the woods"
Old 23-03-2006, 09:23 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its fuck all to do with keeping it on the boil IMO, there more to it than that, the difference agressive ALS makes even to a .48 T34 is huge.
Well I just found that with my 0.48 turbo, I got similar lack of boost drop-off between the gears as I do with my ALS equipped T4 .
Old 23-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mike Rainbird you surely kow what you talk about but lok at the situation when you brake for corner for very long time let's say it's an haipin or something tight and you shift down all the way to 2nd or even 1st and then you step on it during exit, won't you have problem with lag then? Even my small turbo has....while ALS'ed car will just shoot forward....
Old 23-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Well I just found that with my 0.48 turbo, I got similar lack of boost drop-off between the gears as I do with my ALS equipped T4 .
But thats a whole load bigger turbo, seems with a T4 you really need a very agressive ALS setup and big air bypass to make it really effective.
Seems most ALS'd T4 cars just have less lag, rather than the "real" ALS feeling.
Barring that one Arazel has driven

With a .48 T34 its silly, can stay off throttle for ages and the boost gauge is still showing 27psi
Old 25-03-2006, 07:39 AM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by chip-3door
Originally Posted by Mr C

spools up as quick as something thats already spooled is a pretty tall order.
even more so at 200bhp per litre!
Again, having never driven ALS I just was wanting something to compare it with, obviously a GT was a bad comparison as there seems to be no substitute for ALS .

Also as it will be no more effective on a .48 I may aswell keep the .63... - I wont be feeling any lag when switched on anyway, right?

This just means I need to know about Intake air temps while running ALS, will an RS500 style cooler will do what I need or are there still going to be temp issues?
A post turbo water radiater is a must in my eyes for the safety of the rest of the engine too.

DAMO, POST SOME STATS UP FOR US PLEASE AND PROVE? DISPROVE ALS ON A CIRCUIT/TIMED LAP