General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Following on from my last post on ecu's for the 3dr......L8?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 10:12 PM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Following on from my last post on ecu's for the 3dr......L8?

Hello all

Yesturday I posted a topic regarding choosing between a L1 or the later L6 for my 3dr....a few people recommended that I just skip both ecu's and go for L8 insted. Ive done a bit of scouting around, and am now aware that there are a couple/few different L8's to choose from...lifes never simple So then...obvious question coming up here...which one?? Also, Pectal/baby board....is this just a remappable chip basicaly??

CheeRS,
Stu.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:29 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

L8 is the best Marelli ECU IMO.

There is only one hardware design, but 2 std chip types. Doesnt matter which you buy.

Pectel board means you can only use software from Tuners who use Pectel Mapping Software. Std board means you can use software made by other means, including closed loop control etc.

What does the pectel board itself do?
Taken from a post i did about it thats now in the tech essays archive:

Pectel, are a company that (i believe) formed in teh 80s and soon became masters of the Weber marelli Ecu systems and their affiliated soft/hardware. Back in the day, the cosworth was fast becoming the engine of choice for fast road and motorsport but the hurdle most couldnt overcome, was making the ecu's run teh modified engines PROPERLY.

Pectel designed a system that would allow people to map it easily, with a DOS based mapping interface. They perfected the mapping and run software and it worked flawlessly in the ecu. The run software like any other, is the "Opertaing System" that runs the hardware that you know as an ECU. PC buffs can liken a chips software to their motherboards BIOS.

This is where Pectel differs from a company like myself, we will make the existing run program do what we want it to do by adjusting its maps and calibrations and then burn the modded program back to a chip, Pectel cleverly designed a whole NEW run software system that bore no resemblance to teh original at all and could be adjusted map by map using the mapping software they supplied to their customers(Pc buffs.. a bit like teh difference between, Award and AMI bios. Both totally different, but with the same end result)

What pectel then had to do was protect all their hard work:
The mapping software (Called IEMS for L1 = 8 and IEMS P8 for P8) was simply that, a software program that would be ripped off in no time. They programmed a dongle for the parallel port and that would ward of most thieves, but still made it a one time only purchase, not exactly business idea of the year, so what they did then was, back in its day, quite unique...

They altered the mapping softwares "Save" program so that when you had finished your maps, and saved them ready for burning to a new chip, the program "Encrypted" the file so it WOULD NOT run in a marelli ecu.

How did you get it to run?
You bought a "DE ENCRYPTION" or "PROTECTION" board that would translate the encrypted message from Chip to ECU. This hardware was copyrighted and only available through Pectel. Now they had a viable product and everytime someone made a new performance chip with thier software, even if they had ripped it off, they had to purchase some hardware from Pectel before it would run an engine.

Ingenious.

Hope that answers your questions...
Old 04-03-2006, 08:04 AM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spot on m8...cheeRS So basicaly, if ive got it right that is, pectel designed a go between ecu that was self mappable bit like megasquirt if you like so they could map the L8, then realised that it wasnt a great buisness plan long term as people would just be dong their own mapping and Pectels income would deminish so they built in a lock to which only they had the key to enable any new down load to run?? Best option is to go for just a standard L8 then that is less restricted in its mapper choice I presume. If I was to have the coil pack conversion driver installed by you 1st, can I still up grade to closed loop at a later date or does it need to be done at same time?? Sorry for dumb ass questions but never had owt to do with L8

CheeRS,
Stu
Old 04-03-2006, 10:11 AM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cossie604
Spot on m8...cheeRS So basicaly, if ive got it right that is, pectel designed a go between ecu that was self mappable bit like megasquirt if you like so they could map the L8, then realised that it wasnt a great buisness plan long term as people would just be dong their own mapping and Pectels income would deminish so they built in a lock to which only they had the key to enable any new down load to run?? Best option is to go for just a standard L8 then that is less restricted in its mapper choice I presume. If I was to have the coil pack conversion driver installed by you 1st, can I still up grade to closed loop at a later date or does it need to be done at same time?? Sorry for dumb ass questions but never had owt to do with L8

CheeRS,
Stu
The decyption board was to ward of theives and piracy mate, not to create repeat business although for every ECU that Pectel's customers (tuners) chipped, a protection board was sold.

The closed loop and coil pack conversion are 2 totally seperate conversions mate. The coilpack conversion is an independant driver board which uses signals from the ECU and does not effect the map. The closed loop is within the maps on the EEPROM which plugs into the original Ford baby board.

I do believe the coil pack driver is a little thin on the ground though!
Old 04-03-2006, 10:53 AM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

is that 2 EE'S or 1 daz
Old 04-03-2006, 10:54 AM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by POPEYE
is that 2 EE'S or 1 daz
2, why?

Althought the Cossie ECU may only use the singular E type and not be able to use the double E type...
Old 04-03-2006, 10:58 AM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm drivers are a problem i belive ,dose mike r not have them ??
Old 04-03-2006, 11:00 AM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by righthooker
hmmm drivers are a problem i belive ,dose mike r not have them ??
Mike R doesn't deal with them so i doubt he has ever had any at all...

Mike deals with the monitors and the ECU's I think.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:07 AM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may be right daz,mate of mine has just got a secs ecu off mike,thought he may still be dealing with simon as he was looking after thins for him a while ago