General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Latest "Think" ads on TV about watching for motorb

Search this Thread

Old 28-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Latest "Think" ads on TV about watching for motorb

Is complete bollox! I just saw it twice, so the second time I decided to watch it real closely.

For those that don't know, it shows a guy pulling up to a T-junction and looking right, then left, then pulls out and is hit by a bike. So the voice over asks how close does a bike have to be before you see it;

here - with the bike already hit you

here - just before the bike hits you

or here - when he looks right, you can see it several hundred yards up the road....

But on the first bit, before the bike hits the car, you CANNOT see the bike when he looks right! Not at all cos the camera angle is completely different meaning you can't see fook all!

So they (the ad makers) are trying to trick you into thinking "fuck, even I didn't spot that bike first time round " when in fact you DIDN'T miss it, as it wasn't in the original scene!

Just annoys me when you are "tricked" into being shocked rather than being shocked cos you fucked up.....
Old 28-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Wazzzer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok its over ex-agerrated for the advert but believe me its not nice to be on the bike when it happens to you for real

anything that wakes motorists up to motorbikes is a good thing IMO
Old 28-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

No of course it's not nice, and I wasn't debating that at all.... But it seems a bit off that they blatently LIE to you about it on TV.....
Old 28-02-2006, 10:58 PM
alfacossie
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

it aint nice at all when it happens!!!!! although the advert is tricking you the point it makes is so true!!!

this is what happend to my bike and the car that pulled out on me

the bike was an fzr 400.

and the result was i died twice 2months in a hospital 3months in a wheel chair and now 4 months on i still cant walk ive lost over 12 months of memory, fractured spine in 2 places, puntctured lung, the bones in my fore arm had pushed through to my knuckels ruined lingaments in both my knees, 7 scares with a total of over 100 stitches daily physio for the next 18 months and all because the guy looked once then the other way and pulled out!!!! i was luckily only doing 50MPH
Old 01-03-2006, 12:14 AM
wayneclayden
590 BHP/Ton

I think that the fact that we are even discussuing this means that the advert was effective.
Its made us thing about it....
Old 01-03-2006, 12:41 AM
89xr2
Brap!

It's not supposed to be there the first time though. It's not tricking you. The guy didnt see the bike, then it hit him because he didnt look hard enough . That's the point.

That made sense in my head
Old 01-03-2006, 01:00 AM
snoozie76
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

So it's not there the first time because he didn't seen it.

But had he looked harder or a second time he would have seen it.

Now I get it

I had a biker overtake me as I went to make a right hand turn, never saw him coming and not sure how he got round the front of the car, but he clearly thought I was to blame, unless those hand gestures mean something entirely different in sign language?
Old 01-03-2006, 01:10 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I see what you are saying thrush, but the whole point IMO is the fact that the camera angle IS different, showing you you have got to move your head and eyes to look, not just glance over then pull out.

I put the fact of me still being alive and not ever having a accident with another vehicle down to the fact that I did my bike licence before I passed my car licence, the guys teaching me were supeb at teaching roadcraft and observation, while the driving instructor I had after I passed my bike licence didn't really give a shit as long as I passed the test . Driving lessons are crap IMO, they teach you to move the car and stop it, where are the lessons about roadcraft and driving safly on a motorway??? I recon If more people did a bike licence you would see a dramatic deacrease in pull-out-on accidents
Old 01-03-2006, 06:03 AM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

one thing that confuses me with bikers, i always am extra careful looking when turning etc, but why do bikers feel it necessary to moan about motorisrts awareness then feel its ok to drive at silly sppeds down the wrong side of the road into oncomming traffic, and get all arsey because i refuse to move over even tho the biker is blatently in the wrong? happens almost every day on the same road i go down,

btw i thought the same on the advert but the explaination of it now makes sense
Old 01-03-2006, 06:18 AM
snOOpy86
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i also did my bike test befour my car test, and i found with driving instructors they where more intrested in havein u drive them about than actually tryin to show u what to be aware of when driving, where as on my bike training the guy was constantly in my ear about cars dont see bikers, make sure ur lookin ahead, make sure ur 100% happy with ur decision was just a constant few days of the instructors drilling it in to our heads that car drivers dont see/look for bikers and for that it has made me extra vigilant when driving

i cant wait till the summer to get back out on the bike
Old 01-03-2006, 07:29 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
I reckon If more people did a bike licence you would see a dramatic deacrease in pull-out-on accidents
i think that you would see an improved driving standard generally. if people in cars had experienced the vulnerability that you feel on a bike, they might think twice about their selfish attitudes when driving.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:04 AM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Gra
one thing that confuses me with bikers, i always am extra careful looking when turning etc, but why do bikers feel it necessary to moan about motorisrts awareness then feel its ok to drive at silly sppeds down the wrong side of the road into oncomming traffic, and get all arsey because i refuse to move over even tho the biker is blatently in the wrong? happens almost every day on the same road i go down,
Just about sums up my view too

They are doing the smidsy advertising around by us at the moment, and I got so annoyed at one of the signs I almost ripped the fucker down.

Story goes at a set of lights on a dual carriageway sort of road I'm at the front in the right hand lane. There is a slight sweeping bend around to the left. We go off from the lights, and we are now at the point (about 30mph) where I am in front of the other car. Indicate, look, start to move over and just happen to look again and see this bike on my NSR corner going like fuck - he had not even slowed to go through the middle of the traffic. In the split second it took me to realise what had happened, he is already way up the road, then tells me it's my fault

Then I see the big yellow "Did you see him?" sign. Wankers
Old 01-03-2006, 08:26 AM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Look, just face it, you car drivers are all a bunch of blind c**ts

Remember a motorcycle always has right of way and speed limits do not apply

In fact, get your fookin' cars off our roads
Old 01-03-2006, 08:27 AM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

LOL.

And I know it's all a small minority bla bla
Old 01-03-2006, 08:30 AM
D19 STE
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alfacossie
it aint nice at all when it happens!!!!! although the advert is tricking you the point it makes is so true!!!

this is what happend to my bike and the car that pulled out on me

the bike was an fzr 400.

and the result was i died twice 2months in a hospital 3months in a wheel chair and now 4 months on i still cant walk ive lost over 12 months of memory, fractured spine in 2 places, puntctured lung, the bones in my fore arm had pushed through to my knuckels ruined lingaments in both my knees, 7 scares with a total of over 100 stitches daily physio for the next 18 months and all because the guy looked once then the other way and pulled out!!!! i was luckily only doing 50MPH
shite mate
Old 01-03-2006, 08:39 AM
ZED
Advanced PassionFord User

alfacossie, wish you the best of luck in your recovery.

The advert certainly makes you think but most of these type of TV ads lose there impact after you have seen them more than a few times like the one with the guys picking up the pizza and then not wearing seatbelts then crashing. After seeing it a few times I started thinking what a waste of a perfectly good pizza!
Old 01-03-2006, 08:41 AM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Most of the road safety adverts are funny as fook

The one where the bird gets run over in the bar makes me laugh but my clear favourite is the "Jane knew her killer" one where the son crushes the mum from the back seat with the daughter screaming
Old 01-03-2006, 09:02 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
I reckon If more people did a bike licence you would see a dramatic deacrease in pull-out-on accidents
i think that you would see an improved driving standard generally. if people in cars had experienced the vulnerability that you feel on a bike, they might think twice about their selfish attitudes when driving.

What a load of old bollocks

The reason most people never see bikes is because of the speed differential between the car and the bike. i'm often doing 30 in heavy traffic in a 30 zone the number of bikes filtering past doing fooking ridiculous speeds is untrue. If they obeyed the speed limit there would deffo be less accidents.

Also if i'm indicating to turn right and slowing down to make the turn, what do you think that means? Is it a good time to try to pass on my right? NOPE
Old 01-03-2006, 09:04 AM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

MattRS1600i both times I've been had off by fuck witted car drivers I've been within the speed limit.

Both accidents were smidsy's
Old 01-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alfacossie
shit the bed mate! im glad you're still here to tell the tale. good luck with your recovery
Old 01-03-2006, 09:12 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by gurnE
Most of the road safety adverts are funny as fook

The one where the bird gets run over in the bar makes me laugh but my clear favourite is the "Jane knew her killer" one where the son crushes the mum from the back seat with the daughter screaming
Well I'm glad you found them amusing.

Clearly the message and idea of the advert was aimed at the more intelligent members of the country.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:03 AM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by gurnE
MattRS1600i both times I've been had off by fuck witted car drivers I've been within the speed limit.

Both accidents were smidsy's

I didnt mean to generalise too much tho dude, like I said in a thread the other day, there are good, bad and dangerous examples of all types of road user and anything that makes any of them more aware cant be bad
Old 01-03-2006, 10:07 AM
89xr2
Brap!

Do you know the main thing that makes people such bad drivers/bike riders/road users in general so fking useless? It's peoples inability to understand that they ARENT the best driver in the world and that they don't know everything.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, these false adverts should be banned, they terrible.

I saw that bog roll advert the other day and now I belive a toddler can own a bog roll company and hold board meeting wearing a suit and so on.

And that ant's all talk in rudeboy accents.

And that citroens can turn into dancing robots.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:09 AM
89xr2
Brap!

Originally Posted by Itsmeagain
Yea, these false adverts should be banned, they terrible.

I saw that bog roll advert the other day and now I belive a toddler can own a bog roll company and hold board meeting wearing a suit and so on.

And that citroens can turn into dancing robots.
You mean that toddler doesnt own that bog roll company, those ants dont talk in rudeboy accents and citoens don't turn into dancing robots. Are you insane? How could they of filmed them doing it if it wasnt true.

Take all that back, and wash your mouth out with soap!
Old 01-03-2006, 10:10 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Originally Posted by MattRS1600i

The reason most people never see bikes is because of the speed differential between the car and the bike. i'm often doing 30 in heavy traffic in a 30 zone the number of bikes filtering past doing fooking ridiculous speeds is untrue. If they obeyed the speed limit there would deffo be less accidents.

Also if i'm indicating to turn right and slowing down to make the turn, what do you think that means? Is it a good time to try to pass on my right? NOPE
a load of bollocks is it? how do you know?

as with any thread involving bikes, there will always be the 'what about the bikers that behave like twats?' arguments. i agree, that bikers that ride like twats are just as liable as car drivers that drive like twats.

let's all start to take responsibility for our own safety and our own actions, and show more consideration to other people. not just on the road, in all aspects of life.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:10 AM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You iz all lookin like antz

That does make me giggle
Old 01-03-2006, 10:11 AM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

let's all start to take responsibility for our own safety and our own actions, and show more consideration to other people. not just on the road, in all aspects of life.
Here here
Old 01-03-2006, 10:12 AM
It's Czech Mate

Couldnt agree more
Old 01-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Richie Russ

Originally Posted by MattRS1600i

Agree with you completely
Old 01-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I like the ad I think it is clever and to the point, it will make certain people who usually drive along with their eyes shut, pay more attention, both casr drivers and bikers, both are guilty ....
Old 01-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with those that have mentioned it, and I think that it should be COMPULSORY for you to spend a year on a moped at 16 BEFORE you're allowed to take a car test.

This will mean that 1. People learn more road-craft (you have to to stay alive ), and 2. Those that are incapable of learning this will be weeded out via natural selection and removed from our roads permanently .
Old 01-03-2006, 11:39 AM
89xr2
Brap!

When I learnt to drive my dad taught me before I had any proper lessons. He taught me everything he had learnt through years and years of driving courses whilst he was in the police. He wanted me to have some proper lessons before I took my test just to make sure I was taught all the current things needed to pass your test. I took 8 lessons and I can honestly say my instructor taught me absolutely fuck all. Was a total waste of money. All he used to do was tell me where to turn.. total waste of money.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:16 PM
sabres74

Having been a biker for years before I got into cars, I can tell you one thing for sure. Any one who is an experienced bike rider makes a much more aware car driver. I agree with Mike Rainbird a years experience riding a bike would make for much safer driver. (provided they lived that long)
Old 01-03-2006, 12:23 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
I agree with those that have mentioned it, and I think that it should be COMPULSORY for you to spend a year on a moped at 16 BEFORE you're allowed to take a car test.
in theory, that should help. but then you look at all the continental countries where pretty much every 16 year old does ride a 'ped, like france, italy, spain etc, and it doesn't seem to make them better or safer drivers.

i think that doesn't really work because at 16 you think you're invincible, so you don't need to bother learning roadcraft, even riding a 'ped.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:30 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by St3V3_C

You iz all lookin like antz

That does make me giggle
Quality advert. Makes me giggle too. Girlfriend looks at me strangely when i laugh at it but i carry on
Old 01-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

[

Quick Reply: Latest "Think" ads on TV about watching for motorb