General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Latest "Think" ads on TV about watching for motorb

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 06:50 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by The Usual Suspect
were not all wannabe valentino rossi,s mate you can spot a bike rider in a car a mile off as they move right over to let you pass
Hey some of us "car drivers" do that too! I'm to fooking first to pull in to allowa bike to pass me without him having to cross the centre line if poss!
Old 01-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alfacossie
it aint nice at all when it happens!!!!! although the advert is tricking you the point it makes is so true!!!

and the result was i died twice 2months in a hospital 3months in a wheel chair and now 4 months on i still cant walk ive lost over 12 months of memory, fractured spine in 2 places, puntctured lung, the bones in my fore arm had pushed through to my knuckels ruined lingaments in both my knees, 7 scares with a total of over 100 stitches daily physio for the next 18 months and all because the guy looked once then the other way and pulled out!!!! i was luckily only doing 50MPH
Best wishes with your recovery, Im now 5 years down the line from very very similar injuries. I've yet to face further surgery and like you all because of an one individual driving his car, not paying attention nor looking out for bikes.

Thrush tbh I find the advert a little OTT myself however if it prevents just one individual from being knocked off their bike and everything thats associated with a Motorcycle RTA then its worth it in my eyes.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:43 PM
phil4x4saph
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When a car pulls to the left as you approach, the most important thing is you know they have seen you.

For those of you who dont ride bikes, you need a total concentration, you need to be hyper aware of everything thats going on. The nearest you could get to the same experience in a car would be to bin the stereo, open all the windows, and fit a big spike to the middle of the steering wheel facing the driver! (oh, by the way the car also has to be twice as fast as you're used to).

Most of the time when Im driving, Im half asleep! (and you are too - how often do you get where your going and not remember anything about the journey?)

Although I applaud the adverts mission, it IS flawed. I recon the biker would fly over the car and hit the ground on the opposite side.

Instead of wasting time and money on all that "speed kills" shite - they should have a different campaign:

"LEAVE THE RADIO ALONE, PUT THE PHONE DOWN, STOP SHOVEING THAT GINSTERS PASTIE IN YOUR FAT GOB AND LOOK WHERE THE FUCK YOUR GOING!!"
Old 01-03-2006, 09:56 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by phil4x4saph

Most of the time when Im driving, Im half asleep! (and you are too - how often do you get where your going and not remember anything about the journey?)

:

Absoulutely never, like everything else I do I take immense pride in my driving. I know i'm far from the best driver in the world but i'm fully aware that every time I drive the car I can learn something new and improve.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:18 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by phil4x4saph
Instead of wasting time and money on all that "speed kills" shite - they should have a different campaign:

"LEAVE THE RADIO ALONE, PUT THE PHONE DOWN, STOP SHOVEING THAT GINSTERS PASTIE IN YOUR FAT GOB AND LOOK WHERE THE FUCK YOUR GOING!!"
AND PUT THE FOOKIN FAGS AWAY AS WELL.

the amount of people who i see sparking up and smoking whilst driving, isnt this also illegal ?

a friend of mine got fined for drinking a bottle of pop whilst driving
Old 01-03-2006, 11:21 PM
alfacossie
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all your comments about my accidents guys its really appreciated, but i feel there are some truths and flaws in what people say. for starters most riders do speed unless on a ped obviously and i was one of them weather it be a little or a lot and the same applys to car drivers. but the thing that distiguishis a good road driver to a bad road driver is not who can stop from 100-0 quickest or who has the quickest reaction time to things but the awearness as some people have said from the person in control of a vehicle. people who are fully aware of whats in front of them as in past their washer jets, behind them and beside them stand out a mile, i,e shifting over a little to let a bike past. if any one ever made the slightest effort not to kill me i always waved my hand in thanks. i have all my grand parents that still drive and the only one i get in the car with is the one that rides 3 bikes because he is so much more aware even in his late 60s he is far better than my 40yr old mum.

i found that i turned in to a typical car driver after a year of not being on a bike and it actually concerned me how bad my awareness was when i got back on a bike, i think regular re testing for your license say 5 yearly would help matters, or as other people have said stick people on a bike for a month every 5 years and im sure in the type of awareness accident i had the statistics would show improvement.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:33 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When I was doing my pilots licence, obviously there is a great emphasis put on flight safty and pilot character, and one of the best quotes I read was "the best pilots always use there superior knowledge and superior judgement, and their superior awareness so they NEVER have to use their superior flying skills! "

I think that pretty much sums up the whole argument. In an aircraft, as captin, you are ultimatly responsible for the safty of your aircraft and passengers, so even if you are in the right you are still in the wrong if you don't spot someone elses fuck-up