General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

what happens if you go through a red light-no brakes ?

Search this Thread

Old 18-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what happens if you go through a red light-no brakes ?

just wondering as if you stopped and the brakes wasnt working ect or there was a fault how would you stand HONESTLY

got a bloke at work who had it happen and hes asking for a letter to have the brake work done and confirm there was a problem ( pipe broke on the servo to manifold part)

just wondering has he got a chance or not ?
Old 18-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U wont get away with it lol My clutch cable snapped once and i drove home in gear and came accross some tempory lights so thought fuck it and low and behold a copper was there lol.Went to court saying fault witht the car i bunny hopped tho the light lol which was bending the truth a little lol but they would not have it.lol
Old 18-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

its a strange one as you was only technically breaking the law,,,,,,,, if you drove through a red light for a emergency vehicle which IS your choice then what happens there ???

seems unfair tbh BUT thats life i guess
Old 18-02-2006, 07:46 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

not a chance mate,if the brakes werent working the car shouldnt be driven as its not safe or fit for road use.
Old 19-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by fuzzy
not a chance mate,if the brakes werent working the car shouldnt be driven as its not safe or fit for road use.
i was talking about the pipe for the brake servo just comming off though, not driving a fucking death trap on the road,,,,,,,, its a 15k volvo im talking about not a shonky 20 year old ford that gets its pants ragged off it on cruises to McDonlads to impress the 15 year old mum of 2 slappers

if the brakes FAILED at the lights,,,,,,,, not failed 2 weeks ago but cant repair until your job shelf stacking at tescos pay check for 200 quid comes through so you can scan Ebay for a replacement

not everyone bodges cars, this was a GENIUNE question as i PERSONALLY feel that he SHOULD be let off it as he never actually went to jump the lights but the brakes failed,,,,,,,,, car breaking down happens alot belive it or not
Old 19-02-2006, 09:24 AM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was at a set of light s in germany o couple of years ago,it had snowed like fook and the car next to me didnt stop in time and only went over about 2m and he got flashed ,so he didnt actualy go through
not to relevant to your prob but just sprung to mind ,allways wondered if he got done
Old 19-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That should stand up in court as long as he does not wear his burberry cap, he will be fine.

There is nothing he could of done about the situation, unless he wanted to stop the car for the lights into a wall, and i guess he did not want to go down that route

Ben

Trending Topics

Old 19-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

he said hes brake lights was on and visable so that SHOULD be a relevent defence i would have thought as that could prove he never jumped em,,, dont prove he wasnt driving too fast to stop intime though as that was i first thought until the techs told me otherwise
Old 19-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

Thats is very unlucky anyway, at least like no-one was crossing at the lights

Ben
Old 19-02-2006, 09:38 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

he still crossed the lights did he not?

It doesnt matter wether it was him or the car at fault he still broke the law!!!!

Alex
Old 19-02-2006, 09:41 AM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

yea but there was nothin he could of done to prevent it happening .

yea he did brake the law but if it goes to court then the judge will most proberly just give him a small fine if he has a letter to say the car was fucked !!!!!

Ben
Old 19-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by J871yhk
he still crossed the lights did he not?

It doesnt matter wether it was him or the car at fault he still broke the law!!!!

Alex
alex if its NOT YOUR FAULT how can you be held accountable though,,, thats the part ik thinking off

if the brakes failed and he killed someone who stepped out infront of him would he be done for murder ?

hope you see where im comming from

aint my issue anyway but its a senario that ANYONE could be in at some point, even a driver who drives at 20mph everywhere to church
Old 19-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

the car WASNT fucked , just a small problem that happend WHEN he hit his brakes, was fine before

i blame the volvo brakes for it PERSONALLY as there too fooking sharp as standard so when theres NO assistance there feels like there NO brakes
Old 19-02-2006, 09:55 AM
swerv
PassionFord Post Troll

the courts will take into account the speed of the road and when you should start braking, you should give plenty of room for error when braking!!

if it was a 30/40 zone then a gentle pull on the handbrake and down through the gears may have stopped him.

hth
Old 19-02-2006, 09:57 AM
nickyboy
PassionFord Regular

Unlikely he will get away with it defect or not, its an absolute offence which means there is no excuse for it. They will use the faulty brakes against him for sure whether it just happened or not.

Remember what he says they will have heard it before
Old 19-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by swerv
the courts will take into account the speed of the road and when you should start braking, you should give plenty of room for error when braking!!

if it was a 30/40 zone then a gentle pull on the handbrake and down through the gears may have stopped him.

hth
the bloke is over 40 and its a volvo,,,,,,,,,,,,,, how many volvo S60's have manual boxes these days

hes actually a genuine bloke,,, speed of the road IS one think i was thinkign off BUT if you ever been in a new volvo and feel the brakes you would SOOO understand,,,,,,, should see what that done on the brake testing machine compared to my cabrio
Old 19-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by nickyboy
Unlikely he will get away with it defect or not, its an absolute offence which means there is no excuse for it. They will use the faulty brakes against him for sure whether it just happened or not.

Remember what he says they will have heard it before
see thats why i dont get the law when it comes to traffic offences,,,,,,, absolute,,,,, no excuses,,,,,,,,,,

theres LOADS of reasons to brake the law IF PROVEN !!!!

running a red light cause your being chased by a man with a gun,,,,,, would you be expected to stop for the lights then ???

if it was CRIMINAL then it WOULD have been chucked out imo
Old 19-02-2006, 10:06 AM
nickyboy
PassionFord Regular

I would expect him to be let off if he just ran someone over but running a red he will be beaten.

Guy i know got a 28 day ban for jumping one
Old 19-02-2006, 10:12 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

can he prove that it was a brake failure that had just happened that minute to the judge?cant see it making a difference as the judge will have heard every excuse under the sun before.id just take the 3 points and £60 fine and be more concerned that a new car with only 15000 miles has important hoses "just popping off"
Old 19-02-2006, 10:14 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Proving that the brakes were suddenly faulty at the time of crossing the red light is the problem as far as the law is concerned.

Look at it this way, you brake late for a red light, cross it, get to the other side, snap off the vac hose to the servo, call for a breakdown truck and recover to a dealer and ask for proof that the brakes weren't working.

Bingo, no fine or points?
The courts won't be very sympathetic even if it was actually true.
Old 19-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by fuzzy
can he prove that it was a brake failure that had just happened that minute to the judge?cant see it making a difference as the judge will have heard every excuse under the sun before.id just take the 3 points and £60 fine and be more concerned that a new car with only 15000 miles has important hoses "just popping off"
not more concerned than we was i promise you

volvo is one of the safest cars about,,,,,, theres SOOO many trick features with em but the brakes failed on 1 part that was NO control

btw hearing every excuse under the book IS NOT THE DESISION pon the court, all cases have to be heard and treated as a NEW case no matter how clean cut it seems,,,,,,,, i DO hope i hear the result
Old 19-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Re: what happens if you go through a red light-no brakes ?

Originally Posted by b19bal
just wondering as if you stopped and the brakes wasnt working ect or there was a fault how would you stand HONESTLY

got a bloke at work who had it happen and hes asking for a letter to have the brake work done and confirm there was a problem ( pipe broke on the servo to manifold part)

surely you would still be able to stop in time if you pressed the pedal hard enough?
Old 19-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

obviously not mate !

Ben
Old 19-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by martin-reyland

surely you would still be able to stop in time if you pressed the pedal hard enough?

now martin i qestioned that BUT then i remember that most volvo drivers are actually crap drivers who aint got a clue about cars,,,,,,,,, not to mention all old fookers with too much cash/free trime

martin think of it this way,,,,, what reaction would your mum/dad have if this happened
Old 19-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by ben22
obviously not mate !

Ben
it WOULD have in all honesty,,,,,,,,,,, but MOST people would panic ( being a red light camera there aswell) and just pay attention to the direction there going ( see if there gonna hit someone i supose) or WORSE look in the rear veiw mirror for a flash rather than INSTANTLY think of what has actually happened,,,,,,,

i would have raise the hand brake to go sideways so that the camera couldnt see the plate ( well as where all talking about hindsight desisons and not what actually happens in a split second desison )

OR i would have flicked my james bond plate turn swtich or shot the camera out with my laser gun and then transported me into another part of london and changed my name to peter
Old 19-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by martin-reyland

now martin i qestioned that BUT then i remember that most volvo drivers are actually crap drivers who aint got a clue about cars,,,,,,,,, not to mention all old fookers with too much cash/free trime

martin think of it this way,,,,, what reaction would your mum/dad have if this happened
i hope the guy is not using you as a witness in court... you will bury him!
Old 19-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

hey i was thinking about it,, he said what happened and was GENUINLY worried about what happend and belives he has a chance,,,, and i was just asking for a responce from others and seeing what they think

YES i would have stopped the car,,,,,,,,, he never as hes not a car person.......... when we asked him hes reg he gave us the reg of his old car ffs , hes not car literate
Old 19-02-2006, 05:09 PM
swerv
PassionFord Post Troll

he never as hes not a car person..........
he owns a car and he has a driving license......he is a car person

maybe we shouldnt be giving advice to people that should be off the road
Old 19-02-2006, 05:19 PM
droptopRST
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Personally through my experiances with judges your mate wants to hope the judge got layed the night before or no begging and pleading will differ the result guilty.
Serious through if you mate had a genuine fault this may be taking into consideration but if in anyway they think hes trying to blag it out hell get done twice as bad(convictions vary)
Old 19-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

he aint a mate of mine, hes a customer who was genuine as i booked him in thinking he was trying to blag it