General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Had fuelling set up...melted a piston on the way home :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 05:02 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Had fuelling set up...melted a piston on the way home :(

Well not so much on the way home but literally within 2 miles of leaving After dropping the car off to have the fuelling set up i drove home, and got 2 miles before it started pouring blue smoke from the exhaust all over the road.
Any ideas why this would happen?
Serious thoughts please
Old 06-02-2006, 05:04 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

set up wrong obviously
Old 06-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

bit of a wounder that mate who did you take the car to, to be setup? and what car is it?
Old 06-02-2006, 05:05 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

as above - sounds like it wasnt setup right.

who did the work?
Old 06-02-2006, 05:09 PM
andre_k
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup, who did it?
Disabled Account
Banned

Default Re: Had fuelling set up...melted a piston on the way home :(

Originally Posted by XRT_si
Well not so much on the way home but literally within 2 miles of leaving After dropping the car off to have the fuelling set up i drove home, and got 2 miles before it started pouring blue smoke from the exhaust all over the road.
Any ideas why this would happen?
Serious thoughts please
Sounds more like a blown turbo to me (rear oil seal or bearing assy).
Replica
Part of the Furniture

bugger take it back and ask for a free rebuild
Old 06-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Anonymous
Banned

What makes you say the piston is melted?

Which number piston is it?

What engine is it on?
Old 06-02-2006, 05:12 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Iam hoping to get an engineers report first to determine what exactly was at fault before disclosing the name of the company as its only fair.
Just wondering wht everyones inclinations would be?

The car was a fieata turbo EFi, the fuel pressure was low and accordingly adjusted by aforemnetioned non-named company cause they said it was low, the car was in to be checked as the car had a engine fitted last year and never had the fueling checked so it was a precaution matter

the cars ONLY problem was a higher than normal idle to which wasnt solved either and the ISCV was unplugged instead as they had no luck setting it

im just looking for ideas what COULD have caused it
Old 06-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

first things first - do a compression test - that will then rule out rings, piston and valve/guides failure.

If its the turbo rear oil seal that has failed, then it will smoke white at idle once the oil has warmed up, or if you are really unlucky, thick clouds of white smoke about 1 min after starting
Old 06-02-2006, 05:16 PM
Anonymous
Banned

No one can give you any recomendations without knowing more about it TBH.

If ALL that company did was wind the fuel pressure up, then they havent melted your piston by the sounds of it.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:18 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As Chip said, if they've just upped the fuel pressure, it wouldn't of caused a real problem, unless you was proper hammering it on the way home, which, to be fair, most of us have done
Old 06-02-2006, 05:18 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by chip-3door
What makes you say the piston is melted?

Which number piston is it?

What engine is it on?
is got 20psi in pot 4 and it smells like a melted piston as i done it after central day last year racing dancossie and ginge

other than that i cant say for sure its melted just that the road was covered in blue smoke when backing off and the breather is spitting out creamy goo

i was thinking of the fuel pump on its way out and upping the presure causing it to fail and melt BUT i never ragged it as i was litterally 2 miles from there and never went over 80 due to the area

would the fuel flow be tested if the fuel presure was seen to be low on a set up or not?
Old 06-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shonky ofab/c mgmt!!! Now you know why I won't touch a car fitted with it!!!

On a serious note if you are running with the std fiesta turbo fuel pump then raising the fuel pressure can cause the pump seals to fail resulting in loss of fuel flow and melted engine.

This is more the fault of the pump than the person seting the car up, but only experience can help a tuner to know about this pump problem.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:22 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DanRSturbo
As Chip said, if they've just upped the fuel pressure, it wouldn't of caused a real problem, unless you was proper hammering it on the way home, which, to be fair, most of us have done
i wasnt doing that though as i never got 2 miles from them before it happened, just finding it hard to taste that ive taken a car to be set up and get the fueling checked to avoid melting it again and it melted it on the way home BEFORE i hit the motorway

who can do engineers reports on here for a second opinion as im gonna fit a new engine and want to be sure this time, 3rd time lucky and all that ( on its 5th engine in its life )
Old 06-02-2006, 05:24 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the pump is a standard saphire cossie pump as its a xr2 with a efi engine fitted
Old 06-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

it's all irrelevant what the fuel pressure was etc, what matters is what the AFR was. Also, if u were lean before hand, damage would have already been done, just happened to let go after the setup. Mahle pistons don't tend to melt for the fun of it.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Probably just the shonky mgmt then!!
Old 06-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Cowboi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i'll do u an engineers report
Old 06-02-2006, 05:28 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

rick would it not have gave up before though as ive had it running everyday since april when ginge fitted the engine and not had a problem, the boost has not been touched either just the fuel presure thats the part i find hard to take in, its been fine up until i went for it to be checked to be sure
Old 06-02-2006, 05:29 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

karl can it really do that after a set up, its running a MSD chip speced to the engine
Old 06-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Heat and fatigue will take they'r toll, and the engine will go at any time. I remember Matt Bell's old S2 letting go at a RR day (he wasn't running!) after it had been setup. It was running stupidly lean before hand, so it was a matter of time before it went.

Unless the car was tested under sustained load at high rpm, u can't really be certain of anything.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Is today the first day you have driven it in new trainers?

If so, it might be those to blame if it was fine wearing your previous trainers. Sue nike
Old 06-02-2006, 05:48 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by chip-3door
Is today the first day you have driven it in new trainers?

If so, it might be those to blame if it was fine wearing your previous trainers. Sue nike
sorry but what has that got to do with ANYTHING

i PAID for a set up, they checked the fueling as said the fuel presure was low, the turned it up

i have had the car running for 1 year and been having fun with it and the only problem i have had is gearboxes

NOW if you paied for your electrics to be tested on your house and they said the wiring seemed bad and so sorted it and the house then burnt down by what appeared to be a electrical fire would you not question it

thats what im asking here as i AM gonna get it looked at, it could be the fuel pipes are too small or the fuel pump is not flowing BUT thats why im asking is that not checked generally when the fuel presure is down

please remember that the car failed driving to the motorway and not on the motorway and not after i had been giving it beans, just started to smoke and got worse so i turned back like anyone would to be told that the injector could have failed or the fuel pump could just pack up

hope that explains more

if i paied for a set up and if failed due to a duff pump then would that not be part of what i paied for, just like checking if the fuel presure reg leaks ect

Old 06-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Anonymous
Banned

My point is just that it MAY be coincidence.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Replica
Part of the Furniture

did they check the AFR with a proper wideband meter whilst on boost after they did the work ? could be they turned the fuel pressure adjuster the wrong way. doesnt take much to kill it !
Old 06-02-2006, 05:55 PM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Does this mean that everybody with a fiesta turbo needs to worry about a blowup due to the cars standard ford management karl??
Old 06-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Sexy-RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by JAMSPORT DAN
Does this mean that everybody with a fiesta turbo needs to worry about a blowup due to the cars standard ford management karl??
Good point

I have never had a problem with my managment i'd hardly call it shonky lol
Old 06-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

One thing also did you refuel before the fault but after the set up if you did check your rec and also get the fuel octane checked.

Mark
Old 06-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Always thought OFAB was pretty damn good if you know what you are doing with it

And to be fair XRT si you can't hold the tuner responsible for the pump letting go, if this was the cause. Have you spoken to the company who set it up to see what they say about it all?
Old 06-02-2006, 06:05 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

im not blaiming the company for the pump letting go, i want to test to see if that is the case, the car still runs right now but the engine is terminal

no refueling done either, just drove out and then it smoked and turned back, was literally like that

the company tbh didnt seem to be bothered and just said " turbo engines can let go at anytime"

not holding them responsible until i have all the facts as it could be just bad luck, just find it hard to belive im that unlucky that a car can run fine and just get checked and then die but im sure it does happen i supose
Old 06-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by "XRT_si
if i paied for a set up and if failed due to a duff pump then would that not be part of what i paied for, just like checking if the fuel presure reg leaks ect

Nope- You've answered your own question.

How anyone is supposed to tell that the old second hand fuel pump you have on your car is about to fail (should this be the case) is beyond me.

Sounds like you paid for your setup, they did the best they could for the money and budget etc etc and away you went with the car for somet else to fail.

IF

You'd taken your car to them for a new engine, new wiring, new pump etc etc then yeh their fault- or at least a manufacturer of the part that failed and I would expect them to help you out in someway.

They cant be expected to say yep all fine and nothing will go wrong with the car.

I would say its more coincedence than anything else.

When you're talking about modified cars anything above standard is a risk= yeh its well know that 170bhp rsts and 300 bhp cossies tend to go on for a while BUT they're still old cars with old wiring and old parts on them and as such NOTHING can be 100% unless it replaces with 100% new parts and then if you modify it past what it was designed for then theres still no guarentee.
We're lucky in that our cars come from a time when things were over engineered and then de tuned for road use.

How much did you pay for your set up out of interest.

best of luck

J
Old 06-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Folks, please I'm only taking the piss out of the fiesta mgmt!!!

Yes it is truely shocking in std form. I have never yet come across a fiesta turbo whether chipped or not that has'nt had some sort of fueling abnormality.

Yes I am taking the piss but it is with a serious hint! Ofab/c is shonky END OF STORY!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 06:18 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

shings if they turned up the presure would that not then check the pump though, saying theres no way of knowing it would fail 5 mins up the road to a extent that totally melts down the engine under normal driving is not like it failing under load though

thats the part im questioning, as for the price of the set up thats irelevent too as i paied for a cars fueling to be checked and it melted 5 mins later

dont mean to sound arsey btw as i really cant be bothered to fit another engine and feel that if i ignored it i would still have a car running 1/2 a bar under fuel presure but never failed

just getting a idea of what people think as im sure if this was a cossie then more questions would be asked

its not a old car with old wiring aswell, its a converted car thats had new wiring on the pump but i could still be a design problem with the conversion hence me getting infomation of what to check first
Old 06-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Patto
Advanced PassionFord User

there's two types of managment for the fiesta isnt there.? ofab and...? wot do's it stand for.? always wondered this..
Old 06-02-2006, 06:26 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ofac is the other one,dont know what it stands for.
could just be coincedence,but id get it looked at
Old 06-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

shings i think thats a bit unfair to be honest

the engines MELTED its not failed, the fuel pumb would get worn and flow less surely and so that would idicate a problem, for it to melt driving home and not racing tells me theres something else there

he also got told the injector COULD have got a dodgy spray for a moment and would have melted the car,,,,,,,,, thats again not on a high speed run but driving on a 40mph road with 2 roundabouts between em

im more wondering about the fuel pipes and the fuel pump but to fail and that and NOT when it was being set up ( ie being ragged whilst looking at the fueling) makes me wonder

the turning up the presure as its low and the car to fail just sounds strange

maybe its just me but surly a set up for checking fueling would include checking the pumps flow ect ( btw they may have done that so not saying they havent )

getting a car back that was inn for a MOT and then the cam belt lets go is bad luck,,,,,,,, get a car back from having a brake test and the brakes fail and cause you to crash is more what this is like tbh,,,,,, would you not wonder then ?
Old 06-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by big_wig_074
,but id get it looked at
you are having a laugh aint ya

he HAD it looked at and got it back and it failed 5 mins down the road
Old 06-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Replica
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Replica
did they check the AFR with a proper wideband meter whilst on boost after they did the work ? could be they turned the fuel pressure adjuster the wrong way. doesnt take much to kill it !
could you please answer this

Quick Reply: Had fuelling set up...melted a piston on the way home :(