General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Had fuelling set up...melted a piston on the way home :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he dont know as when the car was being set up he was in the only place he was any use,,,,,,,,, buying me drinks in the pub as its my birthday
Old 06-02-2006, 06:37 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by XRT_si
shings if they turned up the presure would that not then check the pump though, saying theres no way of knowing it would fail 5 mins up the road to a extent that totally melts down the engine under normal driving is not like it failing under load though

thats the part im questioning, as for the price of the set up thats irelevent too as i paied for a cars fueling to be checked and it melted 5 mins later

dont mean to sound arsey btw as i really cant be bothered to fit another engine and feel that if i ignored it i would still have a car running 1/2 a bar under fuel presure but never failed

just getting a idea of what people think as im sure if this was a cossie then more questions would be asked

its not a old car with old wiring aswell, its a converted car thats had new wiring on the pump but i could still be a design problem with the conversion hence me getting infomation of what to check first
How do you check a pump? I dont know many garages with that sort of facility to do it on site.

The price is relevent- You get what you pay for in this world.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:42 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

was it tuned in Luton?
Old 06-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by GUZZLER
was it tuned in Luton?
oh dear not stevie wonder strikes again i hope hey matt

cheers jay
Old 06-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by b19bal
shings i think thats a bit unfair to be honest

the engines MELTED its not failed, the fuel pumb would get worn and flow less surely and so that would idicate a problem, for it to melt driving home and not racing tells me theres something else there

he also got told the injector COULD have got a dodgy spray for a moment and would have melted the car,,,,,,,,, thats again not on a high speed run but driving on a 40mph road with 2 roundabouts between em

im more wondering about the fuel pipes and the fuel pump but to fail and that and NOT when it was being set up ( ie being ragged whilst looking at the fueling) makes me wonder

the turning up the presure as its low and the car to fail just sounds strange

maybe its just me but surly a set up for checking fueling would include checking the pumps flow ect ( btw they may have done that so not saying they havent )

getting a car back that was inn for a MOT and then the cam belt lets go is bad luck,,,,,,,, get a car back from having a brake test and the brakes fail and cause you to crash is more what this is like tbh,,,,,, would you not wonder then ?
No I diagree... I am in no way convercent with the management but you have so many variables on this car.

Pump
Wiring
Injectors
Chip
Fuel pressure
Hoses
Fuel filter

Also how was the fueling checked on boost?

I need to make it clear as well I am not being arsey or owt either- I am just looking at it from another point of view from the owner who is obviously a bit pissed off and looking to blame someone.

I would honestly put it down to bad luck- as his sig says Zetec turbo coming soon.. so putting another engine in isn't that much of a problem.

Jake
Old 06-02-2006, 07:05 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ginge,i meant by someone else,someone independant!crazy fool,my brother has just spent months waiting for his car backafter using a "reputable" company to fit a new engine,turns out,after 3 trips to them looking at it,finding nothing,then going to another company to independantly check things,that they had fitted a head gasket from a different car(unknown,however,it didnt have enough holes for the coolant! ) this then broke the heater matrix etc etc..... so i would suggest going somewhere else to check all possibilities then making an informed decision.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Patto
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone else know wot ofab/c stands for..?
Old 06-02-2006, 07:25 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

differant styles of managment, they use differant map sensors & crank sensors, can't remember all the details off the top of my head.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:07 PM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Patto
anyone else know wot ofab/c stands for..?
I think they are just ECU codes - like part numbers...

OFAB is voltage sensing from the map sensor and OFAC is frequency from the map sensor.

different ECUs and map sensors and not interchangeable.

in terms of set up have they just altered the base setting? or done an on the road test for it?
Old 06-02-2006, 08:22 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sorry wrong section !

unlucky on the problems
Old 06-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Rob M666SCC
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Right....

Having just seen this post i thought i may as well give the facts....

We carried out the Tune up on this car today - when it came in the car was running pretty badly - carried out a standard engine tune.....

Checked plugs idle co etc etc

idle Co% was very very lean so we checked the fuel pressure which was about 1/2 bar too low - hence we adjusted it to within spec.

The idle was hanging high and we checked that out - checked TPS voltages as they do tend to go down on these, as all ok - we removed the idle valve and cleaned it out, idle was still playing up but it was getting a signal to the valve from the ecu - so it looked like it was a management issue, we unplugged it to make it more stable (prior to this it was int sticking at 2000rpm!!)

The boost wasnt touched as we were told that it was set to 16psi as recomended (although we did test it with our own calibrated test gauge and it was spot on)

Pat gave it a run with the wide band up the exhaust and it def wasn't smoking and the fuelling was fine when tested,

We called it a day at that - didnt want to get too involved with the idle issue at that point as i had only quoted you for a Ł60 +vat tune up and that would require more investigation....

I gave it a quick run to the roundabout up the road and back and it was fine......

also you told me you got to the M25 - thats a tad further than a few miles..... and you need to go down a pretty long dual carriageway to get to it.... ive had my own cars at twice the speed limit and some down there !!!!

I'm sorry if you think i wasn't very helpful when you came back, but when someone comes in giving it the "what you done to my car" - "it was fine before you touched it" bollocks it kinda gets ya back up when you know you've done the job properly !!!!!

Like i said to you - i dont know whats caused the problem, it needs taking apart and looking at, but were not to blame, we checked what we could !!

Regards
Rob
Old 06-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well put Rob, sounds like you did exactly as I would have done!

I know I joked about it in an earlier post, but really OFAB/C managed cars usually do melt in my experience!!!! SHONKY SH!T!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 09:36 PM
r5jame5
BANNED
BANNED

sounds like it was a underlying problem that was there before . im saw scc did there job perfect as they alway have on my cars ive never had a problem with any work they have carried out and im sure i wont in future
Old 06-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Rob M666SCC

Originally Posted by Karl

I know I joked about it in an earlier post, but really OFAB/C managed cars usually do melt in my experience!!!! SHONKY SH!T!!!!!!
Thanks Karl
Old 06-02-2006, 09:45 PM
MOONDUST FRST
PassionFord Regular

As regards shonky OFAB/C management, yeah it aint the best however i never had any probs with mine nor really no of anyone else havin any probs with it and mine was fucked with a few times lol
Could be bad luck though regarding the melt down but i wouldve had a complete system check if i thought anything was at fault not just a drive in drive out quick tune
Old 06-02-2006, 09:47 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rob@SCC Performance
Right....

Having just seen this post i thought i may as well give the facts....

We carried out the Tune up on this car today - when it came in the car was running pretty badly - carried out a standard engine tune.....

Checked plugs idle co etc etc

idle Co% was very very lean so we checked the fuel pressure which was about 1/2 bar too low - hence we adjusted it to within spec.

The idle was hanging high and we checked that out - checked TPS voltages as they do tend to go down on these, as all ok - we removed the idle valve and cleaned it out, idle was still playing up but it was getting a signal to the valve from the ecu - so it looked like it was a management issue, we unplugged it to make it more stable (prior to this it was int sticking at 2000rpm!!)

The boost wasnt touched as we were told that it was set to 16psi as recomended (although we did test it with our own calibrated test gauge and it was spot on)

Pat gave it a run with the wide band up the exhaust and it def wasn't smoking and the fuelling was fine when tested,

We called it a day at that - didnt want to get too involved with the idle issue at that point as i had only quoted you for a Ł60 +vat tune up and that would require more investigation....

I gave it a quick run to the roundabout up the road and back and it was fine......

also you told me you got to the M25 - thats a tad further than a few miles..... and you need to go down a pretty long dual carriageway to get to it.... ive had my own cars at twice the speed limit and some down there !!!!

I'm sorry if you think i wasn't very helpful when you came back, but when someone comes in giving it the "what you done to my car" - "it was fine before you touched it" bollocks it kinda gets ya back up when you know you've done the job properly !!!!!

Like i said to you - i dont know whats caused the problem, it needs taking apart and looking at, but were not to blame, we checked what we could !!

Regards
Rob
Always the problem, take it somewhere and kick the living daylights out of it, bang and tuner gets the blame. What I would say is whenever I took my car to AVA, Tom always said if anything bugged him that he wasn't going any further and to take the car away and explained what he felt needed done, then come back
Old 06-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Anonymous
Banned

sounds fair enough to me Rob, you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time today by the sounds of it!

Those people saying Karl is wrong about ofab because there car is ok on it.

If you have owned 2 cars on it and they are both fine then i guess you would view it as ok, but if you tuned 100 cars on it and 20 blew up despite the fact you KNOW they were properly setup and its just that management isnt up to the job, then you would view it as shonky.

So personally i would take a lot of notice of what Karl is saying, just cause your car hasnt gone pop yet doesnt mean its not going to!

For a well respected tuner to turn his back on a particular type of management and refuse to touch cars with it again, despite paying customers wanting him too, you can pretty much be certain there must be a genuine problem with it!
Old 06-02-2006, 11:54 PM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

not just Karl.

I'd heard locally that turbosystems had stopped dealing with FRSTs aswell.
not sure whether it was down to management issues or just because tony doesnt like Fiesta drivers lol

only rumour though.... potential customers please ring to check!!

EECIV has in my experience chucked a few wobblers for no apparent reason before, and then ran seemingly fine with nothing else done to remedy the problem other than leaving it! lol
Old 07-02-2006, 07:57 AM
DanS
PassionFord Post Troll

Just an idea but have you checked your alternator voltages? My alt. started to die and the car dropped fuel pressure and ran leaner and leaner in a matter of miles, thankfully it was being live mapped with karl at the time and his warning device picked it up which is why its still in one peice, but it could have been a very different story!!

Just an idea anyway.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Sorry to read of your troubles pal.

As i map and sell a lot of Ford EEC IV "OFAB & C" systems i guess i best now comment on a topic i would otherwise have left alone and just offered advice to the unlucky owner...

For the record, we have built, setup and mapped literally thousands of ecu combinations using both OFAB and OFAC management and NEVER had any meltdown issues that can be put down to a basic management fault.

They are both, in my opinion, the most basic of Speed density systems in as much as they have only crank, air, water, throttle and pressure inputs and run in teh batch fire configuration, making them somewhat less quirky than a sequential system like Marelli as the Injector timing isnt as prone to phasing error.

However... due to the simple fact stated above, they are what can be termed as "Quirky" as the map needs to be totally correct for them to run right and fuel safely, but hey, that is NOT the managements fault now is it. They also have a quirk with idle stability that requires 100% perfect TPS alignment and base idle setting (Some peeps swear it hasnt got an idle bypass screw. lol)One of teh reasons it has this idle issue is the injector alignment to the intake valves is poor and quite irregular, but once we have some airspeed, its NOT a problem at all and the system returns good driveability, economy and power.

A common issue with these systems, as allready mentioned, is going above stock fuel pressure spells sudden death to the fuel pump seals and often the engine, but again, hey, why would you want bigger than stock pressures? Fit the right injectors you cheapskate..

Finally:
Due to Fords security and way of doing things, i only know of 3 people in the UK who can truly map these systems out on the road live with an Emulator and get results. Many tuners say they can and then just throw chips in and out hoping for the best, and its often not until the owner sees real hardware emulation equipment hooked into his car that it dawns on him his cars at yet another tuners because it was never mapped live to start with and thus problems with ofab & c rumours "Even when live mapped" begin to circulate.... lol

Take care out there...
Old 07-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

Stu, you write tech stuff (as above) just like Gerard Sauer (spl) did years back in CCC magazine.

You make things VERY easy to understand, there is an economy of words that gives the topic a clarity that actually makes it a joy ro read! I see a career in journalism just a few phone calls away
Old 07-02-2006, 09:01 AM
TM
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

So from what I have read its more than 2 miles does this mean he has been economical with some or all of the truth.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

yeh dosent matter what mechanical exsperence u have you understand stu come on fastford or pf get ya cheque books out lol

cheers jay
Old 07-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Anonymous
Banned

I definately agree that Stu should be writing for fast ford magazine, drop simonFF a pm and ask him mate, he will rip your fooking arm off i expect, and the publicity cant do you any harm from a business point of view surely?
Old 07-02-2006, 09:38 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Right as i stated already this is not a blame post, i was asking what could have caused this and what would have been checked.

The car did 100% start to smoke within 2 miles. I got to the M25 (over 2 miles away) thinking it would clear, it didnt, it got worse.

Thanks for the suggestions but no wasnt the alternator, i have a voltage gauge.

I chose EFi as i was under the impression it was a much more modern system, and iam certain the chip/OFAB had nothing to do with it as the chip has been running on the car for a long time with no problems.

Stu, thanks for the info, and i am beige injectors by the way

I assume as stated above that it was just bad luck that upping the fuel pressure caused the pump to fail, one of those things it seems.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Anonymous
Banned

No, not bad luck, bad maintainance if it was the pump.

Its one of those things that owners tend to just assume will be ok sadly.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:46 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

And following on, Stu would the fact it had a very funny idle cause problems? It ran with the bad idle for a little while now, and when the ISCV was disconnected the car wouldnt run properly E.g. Seemed to be more hesitant boosting up, and oil light came on occasionally, all of which disappeared when it was plugged in.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks for the kind comments about my writing everyone, very kind of you indeed, and i am thinking quite seriously about it as i type.

Chris, there are no common faults other than irregular fuel pressure that can create the idle issue that are also related to fuel or spark levels upon WOT so its unlikely pal.

I presume this engine was a nice simple 1600 CVH with Beige injectors, bigger cooler, T3, sensible camshaft and 1.1 bar of boost with one of my custom off the shelf chips? If so, a walbro pump will normally maintain an easy 11.5:1 to the end of brunters and back time after time after time, its a well trodden path indeed.

What does cause issues with the Fiesta is engine cooling.. the bays are horrible for airflow and the whole system needs to be in tip top condition to avoid excess temperatures.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:03 AM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

my old car suffered with an irregular idle that was traced to a worn cam shaft.

Many many FRST's suffer with bad idle, ( go on fietsturbo.com and search 'idle' , see how many posts come up )

is the ISCV controlled in relation to throttle position? if so what effects will there be on overrun with it disconnected? presumably overfuelling due to less air coming in?
Old 07-02-2006, 10:04 AM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

Originally Posted by chip-3door
I definately agree that Stu should be writing for fast ford magazine, drop simonFF a pm and ask him mate, he will rip your fooking arm off i expect, and the publicity cant do you any harm from a business point of view surely?
Bloody hell, I doubt the poor bloke has the time to do anything else
Old 07-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Rob M666SCC

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
What does cause issues with the Fiesta is engine cooling.. the bays are horrible for airflow and the whole system needs to be in tip top condition to avoid excess temperatures.
The radiator was also p!ssing water out been leaking for a few days apparently.....

Guess that wouldn't help at all on a blast down a dual carriage way.....
Old 07-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Anonymous
Banned

The radiator was also p!ssing water out been leaking for a few days apparently.....

fucking stop it please, properly in tears here
Old 07-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Rob M666SCC

Originally Posted by chip-3door

fucking stop it please, properly in tears here
Sorry
Old 07-02-2006, 10:13 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Thanks Karl
If the management is that bad in your opinion, why do you work on cars that are beyond their limits on this management ?

I appreciate that at the end of the day, it's the owner's decision as to what to do, where to spend money, etc... But if there's a serious danger that the management won't be up to the job, would it not be better to turn people away in the first place rather than be blamed for something that's not your fault in the first place ?

Not a dig, and I did read what Stu said, just wondering if there isn't a case for saying enough is enough sometimes
Old 07-02-2006, 10:19 AM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

i think he already said he does

Shonky ofab/c mgmt!!! Now you know why I won't touch a car fitted with it!!!

Old 07-02-2006, 10:32 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Karl doesn't, I was asking Rob I guess
Old 07-02-2006, 10:39 AM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by frog
Karl doesn't, I was asking Rob I guess
Rob was agreeing with Karl in as much as "doing what he would have done" not that he would not touch a car with that management
Old 07-02-2006, 10:58 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by rsnissan
Rob was agreeing with Karl in as much as "doing what he would have done" not that he would not touch a car with that management
True Question still stands though, in addition "isn't hindsight a wonderful thing" (<- desperately trying to keep this reasonably light hearted, I REALLY don't want to start an argument here ).
Old 07-02-2006, 01:47 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i could be wrong here but if you've done a compression test and got 20psi then surely the piston hasn't melted?

i'd be inclined to investigate head gasket failure from what you have said.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Beach
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybee the damage was allready done mate....

How long had u used the car for without a proper setup ??

My mates had a fiesta turbo, which he had set up, he had bigtime fueling problems at the top end and it ended up melted, oil in the breather system tells me it could be gasket failure and could possibly be bad timing and very unlucky.

I hope you get it sorted

Quick Reply: Had fuelling set up...melted a piston on the way home :(