Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Getting my 1st Sierra & Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 06:38 AM
Camo66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting my 1st Sierra & Introduction

Hi all,

Kevin's my name and I will soon be in possession of my first Sierra, but in no way am I new to cars. I live in Sydney, Australia and the car is now at my importers having come from New Zealand. I'm just into my 50's and had to many cars to count. Here is a picture of the car in NZ from the seller, for you to see. Look forward to reading about these cars and fixing a few issues the car has, to bring it up to my standard

Cheers, Kev

Old 11-01-2018, 09:11 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 395 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Camo66
Hi all,

Kevin's my name and I will soon be in possession of my first Sierra, but in no way am I new to cars. I live in Sydney, Australia and the car is now at my importers having come from New Zealand. I'm just into my 50's and had to many cars to count. Here is a picture of the car in NZ from the seller, for you to see. Look forward to reading about these cars and fixing a few issues the car has, to bring it up to my standard

Cheers, Kev

Welcome to Passionford Kevin. The car certainly looks in good condition. Plenty of people on here with 3 doors who will be able to offer you information and help I would think.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:26 AM
Camo66

Thanks cossynut,

I guess as with most used Sierra's the Recaro seat padding is crap where the sides get sat on and more. I know of Capital Seating in the UK, but I thought there would be someone here in Oz that I would be able to buy the sections from but no luck so far. Anyway, I will keep on looking.

Thanks, Kev

Originally Posted by cossynut2
Welcome to Passionford Kevin. The car certainly looks in good condition. Plenty of people on here with 3 doors who will be able to offer you information and help I would think.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:38 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

lovely car Kev.

For the seat foam padding you can still buy it from recaro or have a look on ebay. The seat material will be hardest to find and you may even have to buy a set of tatty seats just to get some of this material
Old 12-01-2018, 11:05 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Camo66
Thanks cossynut,

I guess as with most used Sierra's the Recaro seat padding is crap where the sides get sat on and more. I know of Capital Seating in the UK, but I thought there would be someone here in Oz that I would be able to buy the sections from but no luck so far. Anyway, I will keep on looking.

Thanks, Kev
There must be plenty of auto trimmers/custom shops in Sydney that would be able to re-furbish the seats if you dont have any luck getting what you want.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:41 PM
Camo66

Thanks R4N SS,

I have been looking on ebay and I have seen some on the UK ebay thanks. The material on the seats looks savable, so hopefully just the new inserts.

Cossynut2, yes plenty of upholsterers around, but the one I spoke to just said it's best if I can get original padding/foam.

Kev

Originally Posted by R4N SS
lovely car Kev.

For the seat foam padding you can still buy it from recaro or have a look on ebay. The seat material will be hardest to find and you may even have to buy a set of tatty seats just to get some of this material
Old 13-01-2018, 11:38 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Kev. The photo shows the problem with the seats. The outer material still looks ok so if you can find some new foam padding, a good upholsterer should be able to get the seats looking like new again. How many miles has the car done as the Recaros normally hold together well. Please post some more photos and tell us a bit more about your car.

Trending Topics

Old 13-01-2018, 12:00 PM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 327 Likes on 306 Posts

Welcome kev very nice 3dr
Old 13-01-2018, 03:41 PM
3drRich
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

Welcome to the site Kev, car looks awesome can I ask what sort of money they are changing hands for over there?
Old 14-01-2018, 10:57 AM
Camo66

Kev. The photo shows the problem with the seats. The outer material still looks ok so if you can find some new foam padding, a good upholsterer should be able to get the seats looking like new again. How many miles has the car done as the Recaros normally hold together well. Please post some more photos and tell us a bit more about your car.
Hi cossy,

yes I'm a bit surprised by the seats as it's usually only the outer lower section that gets damaged from people sitting on it all the time when getting in and out. The actually inner sections are partially stuffed as well and the foam in the seating area too. Might of had some really large fellas in them over the years. The car has 169k on the clock and it was imported to New Zealand from new and I have records showing the mileage every year up to present. So although it's been around the clock on the speedo, I know 100% that it has only happened once.

Here are just a couple more photos that I had prior to purchase. One with the original wheels on it, which I also got with the car.

Cheers, Kev

Last edited by Camo66; 14-01-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 14-01-2018, 07:40 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Kev. Is the mileage in Kilometres or miles as I know in Australia its been kilometres for a long time now.? If its in miles that is quite a lot and could explain the poor seat condition especially if its had some big owners. Looks like its a standard unmodified car? I prefer the white 6 spoke wheels .The bodywork seems really good and rust free. Has it been re-painted?
Old 17-01-2018, 08:10 AM
Camo66

Kev. Is the mileage in Kilometres or miles as I know in Australia its been kilometres for a long time now.? If its in miles that is quite a lot and could explain the poor seat condition especially if its had some big owners. Looks like its a standard unmodified car? I prefer the white 6 spoke wheels .The bodywork seems really good and rust free. Has it been re-painted?

Sorry, I thought I had replied to this already. Anyway, the speedo shows both Miles and Kilometers but the the Mph is the outer section so I'm guess they are in Miles. Can confirm from paperwork, that it has only been around the clock one so 169k miles.
Old 17-01-2018, 01:42 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Welcome to the forum, lovely Sierra are you planning on modifying the engine? That’s when they come alive imo.
The following users liked this post:
Camo66 (22-01-2018)