Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Sapphire cosworth ecoboost??

Search this Thread

Old 26-12-2016, 12:39 PM
djpratts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sapphire cosworth ecoboost??

Hello, let me introduce myself.. my name is Damian and I've been looking through this forum for a few years now but never became member as I found most questions answered through a good search.

Apart from owning a 2014 mondeo I am also lucky enough to own a sapphire cosworth..

i use the sapphire cos quick road use and the occasional track day... it's running dark greens and a t34 hybrid.... so around 330bhp. I am looking for more power as you do haha and was looking for around 400+ bhp

the problem is as as good as the Yb engine is.. it is an old design alhough a very good one and to get a reliable 400bhp with little turbo lag and decent fuel economy is very hard and very expensive..

so i was searching for crate engine and I came across the 2.3 ecoboost from mustang/ focus rs... it seems to be that you can get one of these engines for 7000$ plus the electronics to make it run.... it has direct injection and twin scroll turbo and comes standard with 350bhp..... plus it's lighter than the yb.. economical for a 350bhp engine and correct me of iam wrong but probably more reliable....

Question is how hard would it be to make in work in my sapphire??? My logic tells me it wouldn't be very hard but then again I have never done an engine conversion on my his scale before.

Also what gearbox could I use?? And also if I ever wanted more power what is possible with this engine without major work... 450 or 500 would be nice..

iam also worried about loss of character lol even though I consider my yb flawed as in turbo lag etc I do love the way it drives the noise and everything else that comes with what is basically a racing engine.. so how would the ecoboost compare to the yb ???

I would be great full if anyone could point me in the right direction and also recommend the man for the job.. anywhere in the uk would be fine... and also any drawbacks to the engine swap

Last edited by djpratts; 26-12-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 26-12-2016, 02:42 PM
Bart
PassionFord Regular

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It would be possible but i would spent the money on the yb. 400bhp isnt that hard imo.
New modern ecu, twin scroll turbo on a standard rebuild engine will be awesome.
Old 26-12-2016, 02:46 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

400 HP is a bad target, I would recommend going for the MSD 380, instead, which would be achievable with your turbo and Siemens injectors.

Martin
Old 26-12-2016, 03:45 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Turbo technology has moved in leaps and bounds since the cossies came out, imo it would be far less expensive to build a low lag 400-450bhp YB than to carry out said conversion, I had my old sapph live mapped at motorsport developments with their closed loop sofware and use to see around 36mpg on a steady run!
Old 26-12-2016, 04:01 PM
lacey
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

A good yb at 400hp should not give you any problem
And will last a very long time if it is respected.
And it would cost you far less than 7000$

That said in one of my other 3dr Sierra projects I am installing a 1.6 ecoboost
To be different and very light as the car will be super light ( hopefully)
Old 26-12-2016, 09:05 PM
RSMK4TURBO
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 97 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by martysmartie
400 HP is a bad target, I would recommend going for the MSD 380, instead, which would be achievable with your turbo and Siemens injectors.

Martin
As said above, great conversion and way more smiles per buck.
Old 26-12-2016, 09:19 PM
djpratts

Hello thanks for all the replies but iam still not sure about this... do you really think I could have a newly built yb engine with over 400bhp and the reliability of a modern engine for less than 7000Ł??? Considering that with the crate engine iam getting everything brand new.... injectors turbos cranks cams etc..... just a modern ecu and a low lag turbo such as a bw efr would surely be around 4000Ł Plus setup and someone that knows what they are doing with it..

in a year.. I've had my injector fail causing valve and piston damage by running lean... head gasket failed.... and my intake cam broke as the bolts had pulled the aluminum from the threads..... and my turbo is now being rebuilt....

the people I know with cosworths seems to be getting rebuilds every 10 to 15000km down here.....

has anyone really run a 400+ yb for say 30000 hard miles reliably with out the need for rebuilds?
Old 27-12-2016, 03:39 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by djpratts
Hello thanks for all the replies but iam still not sure about this... do you really think I could have a newly built yb engine with over 400bhp and the reliability of a modern engine for less than 7000Ł??? Considering that with the crate engine iam getting everything brand new.... injectors turbos cranks cams etc..... just a modern ecu and a low lag turbo such as a bw efr would surely be around 4000Ł Plus setup and someone that knows what they are doing with it..

in a year.. I've had my injector fail causing valve and piston damage by running lean... head gasket failed.... and my intake cam broke as the bolts had pulled the aluminum from the threads..... and my turbo is now being rebuilt....

the people I know with cosworths seems to be getting rebuilds every 10 to 15000km down here.....

has anyone really run a 400+ yb for say 30000 hard miles reliably with out the need for rebuilds?
There is something very wrong with the way your friends engines have been built if they are having to be rebuilt after such low mileage. A well built Cosworth YB if looked after should last a long time. My engine was rebuilt in 1996 at 51,000 miles with a brand new wire rung 200 block,BD 10 & BD12 cams,group a head gasket, new low comp pistons, new crank and bearings, new uprated oil pump , ported and polished head to group a specification, new T35 hybrid turbo ,grey injectors and MSD 380 bhp chip etc.It has now done 106,000 and at 102,000 was upgraded again with T38 turbo, Siemens 83lb injectors, wasted spark ignition,A&S inlet plenum, lightened flywheel and new wiring looms.Custom chip live mapped at MSD. Gets properly driven and does not smoke or use oil.Never blown the head gasket or had any major oil leaks so I can say that in my case the engine has been very reliable for a long time! It has had a new Helix 6 paddle clutch and hydraulic conversion but that was personal choice.
Old 27-12-2016, 03:57 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

If you run 400 bhp with modern levels of torque then you need to consider a stronger gearbox if yours is 4x4.

400 bhp is easy on a cossie but not cheap. I think the eco boost would be interesting but would easily cost as much one in and running. I would stick cossie though
Old 27-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

How do you know the eco boost will cope well with 400bhp?
Old 27-12-2016, 07:13 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

So 6k for a 350bhp crate engine.

Then you have the problems

What gearbox it not custom adaptor plate custom clutch.
Custom engine mounts
Custom exhaust
Custom cooler and pipework
Will it fit?

All of the above mods will cost ŁŁŁŁ'S

Best solution is give scs Harvey gibbs your 6k and come away with a rebuilt engine and prob more than 400bhp.

And less hassle.
Old 27-12-2016, 07:29 PM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 327 Likes on 306 Posts

I'd spend it on the yb I'd also consider how much it would devalue the car by changing the engine I understand this may not be a concern but if you ever did come to sell it I would think it would be a lot
Old 27-12-2016, 07:49 PM
djpratts

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
If you run 400 bhp with modern levels of torque then you need to consider a stronger gearbox if yours is 4x4.

400 bhp is easy on a cossie but not cheap. I think the eco boost would be interesting but would easily cost as much one in and running. I would stick cossie though

It was originally a 4x4 but has been converted to 2wd as I went through 2 gearboxes in a year plus i preferred the handling and fun on a rwd
Old 27-12-2016, 07:51 PM
djpratts

Originally Posted by costina
So 6k for a 350bhp crate engine.

Then you have the problems

What gearbox it not custom adaptor plate custom clutch.
Custom engine mounts
Custom exhaust
Custom cooler and pipework
Will it fit?

All of the above mods will cost ŁŁŁŁ'S

Best solution is give scs Harvey gibbs your 6k and come away with a rebuilt engine and prob more than 400bhp.

And less hassle.
i guess you have a point I might just need a whole rebuild by someone that knows what they are doing... will 6k really get me an engine rebuild by scs with over 400bhp...
Old 27-12-2016, 07:54 PM
djpratts

Originally Posted by cossynut2
There is something very wrong with the way your friends engines have been built if they are having to be rebuilt after such low mileage. A well built Cosworth YB if looked after should last a long time. My engine was rebuilt in 1996 at 51,000 miles with a brand new wire rung 200 block,BD 10 & BD12 cams,group a head gasket, new low comp pistons, new crank and bearings, new uprated oil pump , ported and polished head to group a specification, new T35 hybrid turbo ,grey injectors and MSD 380 bhp chip etc.It has now done 106,000 and at 102,000 was upgraded again with T38 turbo, Siemens 83lb injectors, wasted spark ignition,A&S inlet plenum, lightened flywheel and new wiring looms.Custom chip live mapped at MSD. Gets properly driven and does not smoke or use oil.Never blown the head gasket or had any major oil leaks so I can say that in my case the engine has been very reliable for a long time! It has had a new Helix 6 paddle clutch and hydraulic conversion but that was personal choice.
after all these comment I quess the ecoboost is out the window... I might just get a whole fresh build by someone that knows what they are doing and hope I get the same results as you have... I was just getting frustrated with reliability problems... I've also got a Porsche Cayman s and that has been through 2 years of abuse without a problem..... I was just tired of the cossie spending more time getting fixed than being driven...
Old 27-12-2016, 07:55 PM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 327 Likes on 306 Posts

That makes it easier you already have a 200 4x4 block which will easy take your target power with no worry about trans
Old 27-12-2016, 08:01 PM
djpratts

Originally Posted by smiley
I'd spend it on the yb I'd also consider how much it would devalue the car by changing the engine I understand this may not be a concern but if you ever did come to sell it I would think it would be a lot
i would have kept the yb also just not in the car lol so the swap would have been reversible ... and considering how values are rising on cosworths I don't plan on selling any time soon but I know what you mean.
Old 27-12-2016, 08:03 PM
djpratts

Originally Posted by smiley
That makes it easier you already have a 200 4x4 block which will easy take your target power with no worry about trans
iam actually running a 205 block... car came with it.. but I do have a 200 rs500 block that I bought a while back in my garage
Old 27-12-2016, 08:03 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

i guess you have a point I might just need a whole rebuild by someone that knows what they are doing... will 6k really get me an engine rebuild by scs with over 400bhp...
Ring Harvey and have a chat.

My engine is on 94k with over 400bhp and 400lbft on a little t34.48 hybrid. Sounds like a bag of nails when cold but its mapped correctly and serviced every year. And still going strong.
Old 27-12-2016, 08:07 PM
djpratts

My engine is on 94k with over 400bhp and 400lbft on a little t34.48 hybrid. Sounds like a bag of nails when cold but its mapped correctly and serviced every year. And still going strong.
i will.... thanks for everyone's help... I will keep this updates as to what's going on.. but I think I've decided ... iam giving scs a call and see what my options are.. to be honest I didn't really want the yb out lol i was just getting frustrated with the problems... but it might just be because the engine is tired and in need of a proper rebuild..
Old 27-12-2016, 08:58 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

iam actually running a 205 block... car came with it.. but I do have a 200 rs500 block that I bought a while back in my garage
The RS 500 block is a solid start for building up a good reliable YB, or sell it and get a stack of cash as it is worth quite a bit ,to spend on a proper rebuild.
Old 28-12-2016, 07:53 AM
pauloopnorth
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came across a facebook page recently called Ecoboost capri ,it may have some hints and tips on fitting for you to consider
Old 28-12-2016, 08:10 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Proves like mine ,if its built right and looked after it will last for a long time.
Old 28-12-2016, 08:35 AM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Bart
It would be possible but i would spent the money on the yb. 400bhp isnt that hard imo.
Best way of doing it.

Mark
Old 28-12-2016, 08:47 AM
grcossie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Rs 500 don`t have 200 block
Old 28-12-2016, 10:45 AM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Originally Posted by Bart
Bart could you tell me a place that can do all this for 6k.?
We would all be queing out the bloody door like all the idiots outside the apple store when a new device comes out.

Prob near 10k for that lot unless you are able to build it yourself.

Start with an engine build first for a good base then upgrade at a later date when funds allow.
But pick a tuner and do not take advice from the internet.

Do it once do it right and have fun doing it.....

Paul
Old 28-12-2016, 10:58 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

We would all be queing out the bloody door like all the idiots outside the apple store when a new device comes out.

Start with an engine build first for a good base then upgrade at a later date when funds allow.

Paul
Second hand ecu and loom if your sensible and wait could end up less than a grand for an older autronic ecu. Manifold 1500 turbo 1500-2000 that's 4500.leaves 1500. Don't add up too bad if you look at it like that. You will most likely need to add more money for injectors mapping cams and the engine re-build but I guess that will come down to who builds it and how fucked your engine is.
Old 28-12-2016, 11:11 AM
djpratts

Originally Posted by grcossie
Rs 500 don`t have 200 block
You are right it's a 205 block my bad
Old 28-12-2016, 11:25 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Paul
I spent overŁ6k on my first engine rebuild in 1996 and have spent another Ł3k on it since to get it up to 450bhp so I agree that unless the engine is in really good condition a full rebuild and power upgrades will soon eat up your money very quickly.
Old 28-12-2016, 11:47 AM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

I guess there is one thing we can all agree on guys it is an expensive game.

And to top it off there are no guarantees......

A good rebuilt standard ish lump with 380 to 400 bhp is possible within your budget.

Remember then if you wanna go modern ecu etc later MAD has seen awesome results on a std engine with a BW turbo, manifold mapped to perfection will see 470+ bhp. More with cams.....

Good luck...
Old 30-12-2016, 06:53 PM
Bart
PassionFord Regular

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Paul
Depends what condition his engine is imo.
I think it would be possible for 6k but it could be more when you dont have a good base engine.
Old 31-12-2016, 09:00 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

2.3 Ecoboost would be awesome. And you could sell the YB engine, loom and management so not as expensive as it might first seem.

However - the management wouldnt want to play nice out of the box, you would be as well to budget some standalone like Syvecs. Lee at Devil Developments does a plug and play for it now I think.
Old 31-12-2016, 09:17 AM
djpratts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
2.3 Ecoboost would be awesome. And you could sell the YB engine, loom and management so not as expensive as it might first seem.

However - the management wouldnt want to play nice out of the box, you would be as well to budget some standalone like Syvecs. Lee at Devil Developments does a plug and play for it now I think.
thats what I thought but no one else seems to think so haha.. it is at the end of the day a brand new engine with new technology... and they have proven to be strong reliable engines
Old 31-12-2016, 09:19 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

If I was building something like a fast mk2 escort and wanted turbo power I would def go eco boost or similar, I have even considered buying a trimmed escort cos shell and fitting a more modern engine but for purity I would stick yb if the car is pretty original.
Old 31-12-2016, 09:26 AM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

thats what I thought but no one else seems to think so haha.. it is at the end of the day a brand new engine with new technology... and they have proven to be strong reliable engines
I can understand if it was a Normal sierra or a shell being built up to go for this lump. It is a no brainer even a zetec turbo would be better than a yb in some cases.

But as for reliable only time will tell the tuners have only just got their hands on them as i thought and correct me if im wrong its a new engine in the focus RS and mustang and only 4 pot.
Old 31-12-2016, 09:35 AM
djpratts

I can understand if it was a Normal sierra or a shell being built up to go for this lump. It is a no brainer even a zetec turbo would be better than a yb in some cases.

But as for reliable only time will tell the tuners have only just got their hands on them as i thought and correct me if im wrong its a new engine in the focus RS and mustang and only 4 pot.
Yes it is the focus rs and mustang 4 pot
Old 31-12-2016, 09:36 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Totally agree.
It would be nice to keep the standard management as its pretty incredible. But none of us have cracked the torque interface between its torque management and derived torque control for its 4wd system so im pretty certain without the TCU there would be issues.

Interesting project though... if you pull the RDU fuse it reverts to full power FWD mode. I wonder if that would work fine? Or would it put up a fight?

For those not familiar with the 2.3 Ecoboost. Look at this power curve.

Old 31-12-2016, 09:43 AM
djpratts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Totally agree.
It would be nice to keep the standard management as its pretty incredible. But none of us have cracked the torque interface between its torque management and derived torque control for its 4wd system so im pretty certain without the TCU there would be issues.

Interesting project though... if you pull the RDU fuse it reverts to full power FWD mode. I wonder if that would work fine? Or would it put up a fight?

For those not familiar with the 2.3 Ecoboost. Look at this power curve.

https://youtu.be/Rt37ZhnLbZE
i was planning on using the mustang engine. On the website that sells the engine it says to use this engine control pack https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6017-23T

tell me what you think
Old 31-12-2016, 09:47 AM
djpratts

i was planning on using the mustang engine. On the website that sells the engine it says to use this engine control pack https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6017-23T

tell me what you think
thats the link for the crate engine
Old 31-12-2016, 09:49 AM
djpratts

thats the link for the crate engine
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-23T