Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Tips for removing rear glass without breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 07:01 AM
pacwest
Puller of the Wrench

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for removing rear glass without breaking?

I'm currently tasked with fixing the glass in my hatch. 3 door glass can't be bought new here - you have to find one in the breakers and successfully remove it.

Or swap the hatch. Of course, I run an RS500 rear wing and the MkI glass and MkII glass are on our cars over here. I can get a MkII hatch and paint it easy, but the glass is the wrong size for the wing.

Apparently you are not supposed to mig weld near glass. Sigh.

So - I was thinking a good carpet cutter heated up with some propane. Or some warmed up stainless lockwire pulled along the urethane. Thoughts? anyone successfully pulled this off?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

You need to remove the glass from your mk1 hatch I take it? Are you intending to paint the tailgate?

The trim is easily removed, but you might need to be gentle in case it's been glued in at some point. As long as it's not too stretched it's reuseable.

The glass is glued in all the way round. Remove the interior trim and with a sharp extendable knife (such as this : http://www.do-it-yourself-window-tin...Olfa_knife.jpg - but don't use segmented blades) you can cut through the glue between the hatch and the glass to remove the glass. You need to be careful of both the metal "print" on the glass (which is is the heating element) and off course the terminals. You need to cut in long "slashes" down the glue, and not try and cut through it all in one cut. Use some glass cleaner in a spray bottle to keep the area you are cutting lubricated as it makes it ten times easier than doing it dry. You also need to be careful not to try and lift the glass not too much as you can't bend these screens, it'll just explode.

Alternatively, move the outer and inter trim, and use a knife such as this : http://www.auto-glass.com.tw/stuff/e...en_knife-l.jpg to cut through the glue from the OUTSIDE of the car. The blade hooks under the screen and cuts through the glue as you pull it around the glass. You need to be careful to keep it flat so it doesn't bite into the glass and blow it up, and also need to be careful not to let it slip out when coming round corners (again, possible to blow up the glass, or damage the car or yourself)
Old 07-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

As for heat, you don't need it. If the weather is ridiculously cold, ie frozen, then the most you need is to pour a kettle full of boiled water over the outside of the glass, all around the perimeter of the glass. This will soften the outer trim enough to get it out in one piece without stretching it, and heat the glue enough that it becomes much more rubbery and not solid hard. As far as the myth of "boiling water will crack/break your glass" - it can do, but usually only on glasses that have imperfections on them already, and nearly only ever windscreens. If the car is REALLY frozen, then fill a pan with hot water from the tap, pour that on it first, THEN use the boiled kettle. The hot water from the pan will raise the temp slightly, away from the danger zone, which will render the boiling water harmless and allow it to just heat the area it's being poured on.

I've never needed to heat a tool to remove a piece of glass in the 7yrs I've been doing it, and only once have ever needed to use an electric cutter to remove a screen - other wise it's all done by hand and in normal temperatures

Last edited by Thrush; 07-02-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:12 PM
pacwest
Puller of the Wrench

Well the glass from my hatch shattered. I need to hit the breakers and get a hatch or go there and pull the glass myself.

I really am thankful for the tips. I've never messed with glass and hatch glass appears to be a rare item these days - I'm guessing it's easy to bust them in the removal process.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:31 PM
pacwest
Puller of the Wrench

Not taking the chance of busting it. I'm going to install a new hatch and paint it.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:37 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

its easy to do mate i used to work for auto glass if there isent too much over spill around the out side of the glass u should be able to do it from the inside with a sharp carpet fitters knife with a long blade! in the trade we would use a kent knife or cheese wire (not really cheese wire but its a sharp wire) i think auto glass over were u are is called carglass why not just take the tail gate down to your local branch and get them to cut it out and fit it?
Old 10-02-2010, 05:15 AM
pacwest
Puller of the Wrench

I called 'round today and no one would do it. I might go practice in the boneyard if I can find some time.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:11 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best bet is move to the uk, as it's going to be lonely soon, everyone seems to be leaving!!
tabetha
Old 10-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Bummer, sorry it broke man! I know Sierra glass is hard to come by over there!