Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

6 degree rear beam now fitted & setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:47 AM
col93saphcos
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool 6 degree rear beam now fitted & setup

hi,just an update incase anyones interested in better handling,
saph cossie 4x4
have fitted 6 degree rear beam,adjustable front tca's,solid rear beam mounts(used with old beam),ggr poly rear diff mount,koni's at sofftest(used with old beam),ggr spec springs(used with old beam)
toe set to 1mm all round
camber set to 1.5 degrees neg all round
oh and 205/50r15 shitty tyres
well,has totally transformed the car,much stabbler all round,goes round corners nicely,i live up twisty bumpy glen road and the difference is amazing,kind of used to it now but did feel like car went from massive understeer to oversteer but it just going where you want it to go now,
going over humps then into twists the car doesnt wallow near the same,more like its sticking to the road,i reckon i can now cruise down the glen about 20mph faster than used to,
got shitty tyres on and even in severe wet not had a scary moment,but probably could if you were really going for it,
not sure but suspension feels firmer and braking feels way better,
but in all feels like a new car and handles like it should,
maybe some interest to some of you,cheers
Old 04-07-2009, 12:08 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

sounds like it handles pretty well now mate ,with some new tyres it will be glued to the road ,are you getting anymore noise out of the poly diiff mount.

cheers james
Old 04-07-2009, 12:49 PM
col93saphcos

Originally Posted by james kiely
sounds like it handles pretty well now mate ,with some new tyres it will be glued to the road ,are you getting anymore noise out of the poly diiff mount.

cheers james
maybe a wee bit more noise but cant say i notice,ye if hadnt had deer attack id of had new tyres on by now,going to try 225/50r15's try get them ordered up this week if funds look good
Old 04-07-2009, 01:25 PM
ybturbo
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I 'm thinking for a rear beam... How is the rear end traction now, is it progressive or suddenly slides beyond the limit?
Old 04-07-2009, 02:18 PM
col93saphcos

Originally Posted by ybturbo
I 'm thinking for a rear beam... How is the rear end traction now, is it progressive or suddenly slides beyond the limit?
sorry cant really say thats the bit im unsure of,lol
only used on the road and not had it to its limit yet, but i suppose that depends on how fast you expect to go round a corner,lol
Old 04-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I fitted my 6degree beam and to be honest the car feels less stable than before..

Not sure if its down to the polybushes replacing my GGR beam tightening kit though?
Old 04-07-2009, 04:36 PM
ybturbo
PassionFord Regular

I see... With my current setup on suspension adjusting etc. the car is a little progressive but also sometimes oversteers a lot if you going fast and lift off the throttle and on a hillclimbe with good road when on power the car feels like the front end it is pushed from the rear and it doesn't make a small progressive slide. The only way to achive this with my current setup is to really stiffen the rear shocks but then the car is bumpy on the rear and also sometimes on bumpy roads looses more easily grip. That's what I hope to cure with a 6 degree rear beam because when on power less camber change so I hope less side grip on the rear...
Old 04-07-2009, 05:01 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the car is understeering I would stiffen the front not the harden the rear.
Personally I think the GGR tightening kit is better than poly, or solid bushes, having tried all of them.
The poly diff mount makes a world of difference on it's own, without doing any other bushes to poly, yes they really are that shit.
The 22mm adjustable bar I made makes a awsome difference as well, but would only advise it if adjustable suspension fitted, doesn't need coily's just so long as adjustable.
tabetha
Old 04-07-2009, 05:48 PM
ybturbo
PassionFord Regular

The front end on my car is really - really stiff that's why I stiffen the rear to reduce suspension travel which reduces the camber angle change and it works: the car starts to slide easily on the rear and thats what I like not to fight with the understeer if I really hummer it otherwise it is insanely stable and fast on corners and bends...
Rear diff poly bush mount really makes that a difference? I have only puted the Powerflex kit to the beam ends...
Old 05-07-2009, 08:15 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Poly bush difference really is like night and day, I deliberately ran mine for months without a rear arb so I could see if my theory was right, that the bush and the movement it allowed was causing MASSIVE toe changes, it was.
Prior to fitting the poly diff mount I ran no bar but std diff mount, the poly cut down on roll markedly by some 80% - 90%.
This was exactly what I wanted to know to confirm my thoughts, and it did, the car with a poly diff mount and no rear arb is still better by a mile than a arb equipped std bush car!!
I wanted to see how much the semi trailing setup made to toe changes with the beam going walkabout in every corner.
The suspension is a piece of crap for a performance car, with the squashy bushes, as I now call the std bush.
You do get a small amount of vibration, but more than made up for by all the other benefits of a poly over a std bush, I did not agree with the idea of solid beam bushes being the cure for the problem, I've since put poly back on the beam mount in plac eof my solids.
For suspension I always start at softest then up a click at a time, then around where I want stiffen/soften one end to balance the car grip wise, so just have a play.
I am glad 110% that I did a adjustable rear arb in 22mm, best thing I did was not listen to other people that had told me it doesn't work/won't work but none of which had ever tried it or driven a sapphy with it, it was made adjustable so I could soften/harden if needed, but with it brought a lot more comfort, it still has roll, not much at all at normal speeds but a little at silly speeds, as I don't want it too stiff and falling off the road, seems the ex F1 guy did know his stuff re suspension, when we discussed it.
A new beam entirely is being thought about presently, he just looked at std beam
and laughed, saying "that" goes round corners ha ha ha!!.
tabetha
Old 05-07-2009, 10:12 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by col93saphcos
sorry cant really say thats the bit im unsure of,lol
only used on the road and not had it to its limit yet, but i suppose that depends on how fast you expect to go round a corner,lol
who set up your camber/tracking etc?i live close to you and i have an adjustable rear beam and tcs and need it all set up properly as i did it by eye.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:52 AM
oohogwash1
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tabetha, do you have any pics of your 22mm adjustable rear beam, i have some blades from A1Rally... and a few pipe sizes and one day will need to connect all this up... any help you can give would be appreciated
Old 06-07-2009, 06:08 AM
col93saphcos

Originally Posted by 155lee
who set up your camber/tracking etc?i live close to you and i have an adjustable rear beam and tcs and need it all set up properly as i did it by eye.
was a place near methvan,think burn brae garage was its name,between crieff and perth,not sure if any where closer can do it,been told r d wilson forfar can but i dunno
Old 06-07-2009, 06:26 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by oohogwash1
tabetha, do you have any pics of your 22mm adjustable rear beam, i have some blades from A1Rally... and a few pipe sizes and one day will need to connect all this up... any help you can give would be appreciated
You mean adjustable rear arb ?
It's simply a shaped arb made from ENT16 round bar then flattened slightly on the outside edges and drilled with 3 holes each side, took ages to do as was a very awkward shape to clear the mount and the tank etc.
I don't have any piccies at the moment, but am doing some work on the rear end later in the week, so pm me your email and I'll send them across to you, although I refer to it as 22mm it is actually 22.225mm, or 7/8" in old money.
tabetha
Old 06-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by col93saphcos
hi,just an update incase anyones interested in better handling,
saph cossie 4x4
have fitted 6 degree rear beam,adjustable front tca's,solid rear beam mounts(used with old beam),ggr poly rear diff mount,koni's at sofftest(used with old beam),ggr spec springs(used with old beam)
well,has totally transformed the car,much stabbler all round,goes round corners nicely,i live up twisty bumpy glen road and the difference is amazing,kind of used to it now but did feel like car went from massive understeer to oversteer but it just going where you want it to go now,
going over humps then into twists the car doesnt wallow near the same,more like its sticking to the road,i reckon i can now cruise down the glen about 20mph faster than used to,
got shitty tyres on and even in severe wet not had a scary moment,but probably could if you were really going for it,
not sure but suspension feels firmer and braking feels way better,
but in all feels like a new car and handles like it should,
maybe some interest to some of you,cheers
Makes a massive difference doesn't it? Noticed less understeer and doesn't 'wallow' into the second part of a corner transition, like a fast 'S'-bend for example. I can see why people who have had it done in the past like Mike Rainbird/Mark Shead/Harvey rave about them now