Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

wiring nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Cosmo
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring nightmare

Am currently building my 3dr cosworth project car, however i've hit a snag - wiring!!

The shell i have had no wiring in it what so ever so i've had to source an internal car loom, the guy i bought it off swore blind it came out of a 3dr cossie and even went to the trouble of marking up what wires go were. Trouble is that now i've put it in the car and run the wires i cant see where the ECU wiring connects to the main car wiring? My engine loom came off a 2wd sapph so am guessing its a bit different to the 3dr connection but i cant even see any spare connections in my car loom that could even be where it goes??! Anyone have a picture or can explain where it would go?

Also the loom doesnt appear to have the wiring for electric windows or mirrors?? Are they seperate stand alone looms or have i been sold a loom from a 1.3 sierra or something??! (and if i have can i still make it work with a cos engine?)
Old 05-05-2009, 04:25 PM
petemos
PassionFord Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pm'd
Old 05-05-2009, 05:20 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

The loom connects to the ecu via the engine loom which is connected on a connector just below the screen on passenger side, it will have five wires going to it, inc a black/red which is the fuel pump wire from the relays which are part of the engine loom.
I would say it was not a cossie loom if it does not have lecky mirrors/window wires.
tabetha
Old 05-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Cosmo
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by tabetha
The loom connects to the ecu via the engine loom which is connected on a connector just below the screen on passenger side, it will have five wires going to it, inc a black/red which is the fuel pump wire from the relays which are part of the engine loom.
I would say it was not a cossie loom if it does not have lecky mirrors/window wires.
tabetha
I have got a 4i loom in my garage, wondering if its worth messing with that? Am really struggling to find a real 3dr loom! The one i got in now has no connector as described, its gotta be out of a base sierra then am guessing??
Old 06-05-2009, 07:12 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

The xr4i llom in my dads car has got lecky mirrors wire there but his is manual mirror, but lecky windy wires were also there, even though his was manual windows as well.
I'll have a look and see if I can see the connector on his, they are hard to see as they are hidden by the loom anyway, but are in the loom that passes inside the car under the screen area clipped up, the 6 pin connector si certainly where sapphy's connect.
I've got a mate who makes looms, so I'll ask him too as he has done cossie looms before, including mine.
tabetha
Old 06-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Cosmo
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by tabetha
The xr4i llom in my dads car has got lecky mirrors wire there but his is manual mirror, but lecky windy wires were also there, even though his was manual windows as well.
I'll have a look and see if I can see the connector on his, they are hard to see as they are hidden by the loom anyway, but are in the loom that passes inside the car under the screen area clipped up, the 6 pin connector si certainly where sapphy's connect.
I've got a mate who makes looms, so I'll ask him too as he has done cossie looms before, including mine.
tabetha
How much would he charge for making a new main loom do you reckon mate?
Old 06-05-2009, 05:28 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

The loom man doesn't get involved in car looms just ecu looms at the mo as is very very busy, but he suggested you contact autosparks.co.uk, saying they are very good and good prices too.
Whilst on the phone to him discussing the connection point between the ecu and main car loom, he did confirm that they all connect in roughly the same place, but some have a 9 way connector some a 5 way etc so seems there is a bit of diversity.
He's just in the middle of moving at mo as well, so stretched time wise even more.
tabetha
Old 06-05-2009, 10:29 PM
cosy trav
PassionFord Regular

I was doing my loom on my 3dr last night and it had 2 plugs connecting the ecu to the main loom , one was a 2 pin plug and one was a 4 pin . i will post a pic up tomorrow night of what they look like .

Last edited by cosy trav; 08-05-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:33 PM
siscossie
3-door moonstone

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default loom

When i did my wiring on the 3dr the connector where the engine loom connects to the car loom had been cut off. the guy before me had a secs monitor in it and just cut it out, took me ages to find out where it had gone. In the end bought a new connector block and wired it in myself, if you send me your email can send you a pic might be of some help
Old 08-05-2009, 12:31 AM
cosy trav
PassionFord Regular

This is what mine looks like . Must be original as it was wrapped in foam which was stuck on .

Colours are ;

4 pin plug ;

Black (ignition feed )

Green ( rev / Ignition ?)

Black / red trace (fuel pump )

Brown / white ( water temp )

2 Pin plug ;

Red conected to a relay

Green / brown Diagnostic plug .

Think thats right anyway . hope that helps .

Last edited by cosy trav; 08-05-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:23 AM
Steve Escos
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are struggling for a loom i have a complete loom include Clifford alarm definitely from a 3 door £150 delivered. Still need to remove from the car but shouldn't take long
Old 08-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Cosmo
Regular Contributor

Thanks to all that have posted, an update since my last posts, bit of drastic measures have taken place to be honest, i got completely hacked off with my build as it appears as though yet another loom i'd bought was the wrong one, turns out to be a base modle loom, so in true RS owner style i solved the issue by going out and buying a fully trimmed 3dr rolling shell that only requires my engine dropping in, all the wiring is there already! Job done (cost me a bit though )

Question now is though, my engine loom i have is a MINT one in real good condition, but i had it for my 2wd sapph, is its connection points different, i think they are arent they? How do i graft the connection point of the 3dr loom (which has the connectors as you guys have shown) to the 2wd sapph engine loom? Is it cut and solder? In which case which wires from the sapph loom match up with the ones you've all highlighted on the 3dr loom?