Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Cosworth engine breather

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:29 PM
ickey818
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cosworth engine breather

Hi all,

I'm fitting an uprated breather system to my 4x4 Cosworth but I'm not sure on how I should connect one of the breather pipes. Basically the seperator tank has 4 outlets, one goes to the breather tank, the second returns to the sump, the 3rd goes to an adapter fitted to my rocker cover and the forth replaces the existing breather pipe which goes to the airbox.

The fourth connection is the one which is causing me a problem. When I went to fit this today I was going to remove the existing kidney box and the red plastic part located on top of the kidney box. I then noticed that the red plastic part on top of the kidney box has a pipe which goes to a one way valve which is screwed into the inlet manifold. This in itself isn't a problem as I can remove the valve and plug the hole up with a blanking plug. I then noticed that there is a second pipe which is T'd into the pipe which runs between the red plastic part to the inlet manifold. The T's in pipe runs across the bulkhead to some sort of valve on the opposite side of the engine bay near the brake servo. Another pipe comes out the other side of this valve and seems to run to the charcoal cannister located under the passenger wing.

My question is what I should do with the T'd in pipe if I remove the red plastic part and it's associated piping from the inlet system?

Hope the above makes sense.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:35 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gonna be doin mine aswell , be intersting to see what the answer is !!
Old 02-05-2009, 04:41 PM
ybturbo
PassionFord Regular

This small valve is the charcoal canister solenoid. It is used to purge fuel tank vapors into the inlet manifold above 2000rpm I think. You should live it connected with the manifold and just put a bolt or something with a hose clamp to plug the pipe that was connected to the engine breather. If you like to remove the big hose with the "T" and connect the small hose from the carbon canister line directly to the manifold you should leave the non return valve on the manifold in place otherwise the boost will inflate your fuel tank!
Old 02-05-2009, 07:58 PM
ickey818
Part of the Furniture

Thanks for the info ybturbo, just one other question which I hope you can help with. If I leave the non return valve in the inlet manifold and just connect the charcoal cannister purge pipe to this surely it won't be able to purge the fuel vapours when over 3000rpm due to the boost pressure closing the valve. With the curent setup it can purge into the breather if the non return valve is closed as it is T'd into both the breather and the inlet manifold.

I'm starting to think I would be better off just Ting the charcoal cannister purge pipe into the new breather somehow as then it can always purge the vapours no matter what the engine speed / boost pressure. Will this be okay?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:04 AM
ybturbo
PassionFord Regular

The original breather is one way flow - air is not entering the block only exiting.
The engine consumes the fuel tank vapors which results to better fuel economy.
Don't afraid to connect the manifold with the small line from the fuel tank- charcoal canister since the fuel tank is producing vapors slowly and even if you boost all day long you sure lift the throttle quite a lot times and believe me the vaccoum from the engine will suck the vapors instantly!
By the way my car (same as yours) is running with this setup for years except from the fact that I don't purge from the cylinder head just from the two sides of the block but thats about the same I think. Just make sure that if you purge from the cylinder head you need a deflector inside the rocker cover so oil is not coming into the hose.

Last edited by ybturbo; 03-05-2009 at 06:12 AM. Reason: added something
Old 03-05-2009, 07:52 AM
ickey818
Part of the Furniture

Thanks ybturbo, I will plumb the charcoal cannister purge pipe into the manifold through the one way valve as per your description.
CheeRS