Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Rose Jointed Top Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 27-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Rose Jointed Top Mounts

I've seen these on Ebay and wondered if anyone who reads on here is running a set of them on their own car. If so, what is your opinion on them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cosworth-ROSE-...1%7C240%3A1318

This is a Group N spec replica top mount. It uses the standard rubber or poly top mount bush but removes the standard bearing and the cone. It allows the top mount to sit flat even when the car has a lot of camber.

The picture of the mount fitted to a car shows the top ring with cutouts and this is how they will be supplied.

Made from aircraft spec aluminium.

The pictures do not have the bearing inserted as I pictured the sample that has been sent to me, but the price does include the bearing.

There are no modifications needed to fit them. You might have to jack the strut up to get it through the bush to tighten the top ring on.

You MUST put some copper slip grease on the threads of the rings to stop them chemical welding themselves together.

Mostly suited to track cars.
Old 29-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

There's a bit of blurb on these in the New Product Pages ( page 27 ) of the latest Fast Ford mag - June 09 edition if anyone is interested.
Old 29-04-2009, 02:39 PM
escos-jim
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are the bollox mate, i have a set for my escos when its done and went round castle combe on saturday in a Rs500 that has a set in. Well worth the money

Dan a rapid ford sells em
Old 29-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by escos-jim
These are the bollox mate, i have a set for my escos when its done and went round castle combe on saturday in a Rs500 that has a set in. Well worth the money
Cheers, I take it the RS500 isn't owned by anyone off here?
Old 29-04-2009, 10:53 PM
RONNIE AMIS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i have the 909 one's on mine but cant comment on how good they are as they car's still in the garage, see them on rapid ford's stand at central day and they look well made,
Old 30-04-2009, 07:39 AM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by RONNIE AMIS
i have the 909 one's on mine but cant comment on how good they are as they car's still in the garage, see them on rapid ford's stand at central day and they look well made,
Cheers for the info Ronnie? Where did you get your 909 ones from and were they a lot cheaper?

I am trying to do all the handling aspects of mine and am just trying to evaluate any part that might make a difference before making a call as to whether to go down that route.
Like any car, it's often the accumulation of a lot of 'little effects' that go towards the end result. Don't want to make it overly harsh so it still handles and rides well on typical UK roads
Old 30-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Char1ie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Mike1
Like any car, it's often the accumulation of a lot of 'little effects' that go towards the end result. Don't want to make it overly harsh so it still handles and rides well on typical UK roads
Very true. I thought the top mounts are designed to provide a better mounting when your geometry is different - so the top of the strut is mounted in something that is designed to pivot more than the original Ford top mount. I'm not sure they'll add much to your handling but if you are changing your suspension then you should consider these, or adjustable plates at the top of the strut.

And as Mike says, a combination of many handling changes will make your car corner better. Polybushes, solid beam mounts, diff mount, springs, dampers, ARBs, rear beam mods, camber changes, etc etc.

Charlie
Old 30-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Char1ie
Very true. I thought the top mounts are designed to provide a better mounting when your geometry is different - so the top of the strut is mounted in something that is designed to pivot more than the original Ford top mount. I'm not sure they'll add much to your handling but if you are changing your suspension then you should consider these, or adjustable plates at the top of the strut.

And as Mike says, a combination of many handling changes will make your car corner better. Polybushes, solid beam mounts, diff mount, springs, dampers, ARBs, rear beam mods, camber changes, etc etc.

Charlie
Yes agreed Charlie, don't think they'll make much difference to the handling but might remove some of the "stiction" and change the "feel" of the car.
I suspect quite a few people run extra front -ve camber with the adjustable TCAs

Found some more info on the Traders forum re these

When you take the shock out of the hub the shock will still firmly point at the hub it was removed from, as the std top mount has a cone that is pulled into the strut top. So when you adjust the camber or caster you are forcing it to sit in another position so the strut top is under pressure. This will wear the bush and bearings and crack the top cone which is quite common.

These Rose Jointed Top Mounts replace the std top mount but use the std bush without any drilling or mods. They allow full movement of the shock without it twisting the top mount when adjusting the camber and caster like on a std setup, but unlike the normal aftermarket solid top mounts which remove the bush and becomes a little harsh and will wear the shell.

After fitting them it's quite amazing how much proper movement is available.
On the thread below if people are interested

https://passionford.com/forum/ford-r...cs-fitted.html
Old 30-04-2009, 08:45 PM
RONNIE AMIS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Mike1
Cheers for the info Ronnie? Where did you get your 909 ones from and were they a lot cheaper?

I am trying to do all the handling aspects of mine and am just trying to evaluate any part that might make a difference before making a call as to whether to go down that route.
i got them for 50 quid off of a mate,

well said mate, as you've said just takes some of the stress away