Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

2WD Probs

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 05:07 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts
Default 2WD Probs

Hi Guys,

Couple of problems I have noticed in the last few months I am looking for advise with,

1) When in reverse gear and go to reverse at slow speed there is a horrible noise I suspecting the input spline bearing as it is a bearing noise. The gearbox is also noisy when the car is running in neutral although this noise is more a rumbling sort of noise and is not as noisy and the noise dissapears when clutch is depressed.

Also while talking about the gearbox when in 5th when driving at 30MPH the car "Jumps" anything over this speed and it's fine and if i drop into forth while still at 30MPH it's fine.

2) When on hard to full steering lock the car "Jumps" again only when you go to move off if you turn the steering when stationary there is not a problem.

The Easiest way I can describe this it's like you have driven over a big stone.

As I say these problems have been there for a couple of months.

I am going to have a look tommorow but wondered if anyone else had this before.

Many thanks,

Martin.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:12 PM
cossieDavedree
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. sounds like classic release bearing.

2. the jumping feeling, does it do it in neutral and moving, or only when theres drive??
Is it jumping from the front or back? cos my old saph the tracking was way out and at low speed full lock the tyres would fight with each other against the camber of the road it would jump and feel horrible.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:20 PM
2001ode

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

For the second point, may be your rear diff is welded !!!

Regards.
Claude
Old 10-01-2009, 05:23 PM
cossieDavedree

Originally Posted by 2001ode
Hi,

For the second point, may be your rear diff is welded !!!

Regards.
Claude
thats why i asked back or front jumping,
i think your right welded diff sounds suspect
Old 10-01-2009, 05:29 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Hi m8,

I want to think the release bearing but I am right in saying the noise only happens when clutch is depressed as this is when the bearing is actually being utilised and when you release the clutch the bearing isn't engaged.

As for the jumping I haven't tried it in neutral. The only time is when I noticed it is when I'm in a tight space for example and go to pull off on a good lock. Once on move it's ok and on corners it's ok. However the steering does pull to the left slightly if I let go of the wheel. Would the tracking show up on MOT as it only had it late last year.

It does feel as if the front it's pulling from.

CheeRS for the help.

Originally Posted by cossieDavedree
1. sounds like classic release bearing.

2. the jumping feeling, does it do it in neutral and moving, or only when theres drive??
Is it jumping from the front or back? cos my old saph the tracking was way out and at low speed full lock the tyres would fight with each other against the camber of the road it would jump and feel horrible.

Last edited by martysmartie; 10-01-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Captain500rs
Advanced PassionFord User

maybe the car is jumping in 5th at 30mph cos the gear is too high for a slow speed
Old 11-01-2009, 02:58 AM
cossieDavedree

Originally Posted by martysmartie
Hi m8,

I want to think the release bearing but I am right in saying the noise only happens when clutch is depressed as this is when the bearing is actually being utilised and when you release the clutch the bearing isn't engaged.

As for the jumping I haven't tried it in neutral. The only time is when I noticed it is when I'm in a tight space for example and go to pull off on a good lock. Once on move it's ok and on corners it's ok. However the steering does pull to the left slightly if I let go of the wheel. Would the tracking show up on MOT as it only had it late last year.

It does feel as if the front it's pulling from.

CheeRS for the help.

yer as u say release bearing makes a noise usually when pedal pushed down. However I have had to replace a bearing after hearing the wurrhing sound which disappeared when clutch pedal pushed in on a t9 box. Is your gearbox noisy at all when driving, sounds like layshaft or input bearing if only in neutral. Think box is gonna have to come out unless u wait for something to go.

Tracking wont show up on mot its not part of the test. + it can take 1 hard bump to knock the tracking back out. + Every cossie I've had has always pulled to the left slightly.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:28 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by cossieDavedree
yer as u say release bearing makes a noise usually when pedal pushed down. However I have had to replace a bearing after hearing the wurrhing sound which disappeared when clutch pedal pushed in on a t9 box. Is your gearbox noisy at all when driving, sounds like layshaft or input bearing if only in neutral. Think box is gonna have to come out unless u wait for something to go.

Tracking wont show up on mot its not part of the test. + it can take 1 hard bump to knock the tracking back out. + Every cossie I've had has always pulled to the left slightly.
No car actually drives well when on move with no noise from gearbox it just seems to be in reverse when letting clutch in to move backwards. Forgot to mention it has a paddle clutch don't know if this makes any difference I know it's a very sharp clutch.

Would a faulty track rod cause the above steering issue.

CheeRS for the help.
Old 18-01-2009, 07:56 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Hi,

An update i took my car into garage other day to get tracking checked and steering, put it up on ramps and steered from side to side while the it was checked and he said it was ok.

He said only thing it may be is wheels are close to the wheel splash guard and it may rub that sometimes, he did say there was no rub marks though.

Before I took it down to garage I checked all tyre pressures, back offside does tend to go down slowly and I usually check it before I take it out. So to my suprise this was down to 15 PSI when I checked it rest of tyres were like 30/32 PSI. I inflated it and problem seemed to disappear as it normally does it when I go out of drive.

Jacked up the offside today and had a look at front wheel and I have noticed that the suspension nearly touches the tyre (I cant even get my finger between tyre and bottom of suspension spring) now is it just me or does this not seem right?

I let car down off jack and went round to front offside and checked suspension there and I can get a finger between the tyre and suspension.

Now the car has Koni adjustable suspension and wondering if it has been mis adjusted previously?

Does anyone has any advise on this?

Many thanks,

Martin.
Old 19-01-2009, 07:28 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have std wheels then unless you have coilovers, the wheels are that close, the spring platform is very close and I could not get my little finger between tyre and spring platform either, it's normal.
As for pulling to the left, there is no reason why it or any cossie should do it.
BUT certain things will make it do it, such as low tyre pressure that side, worn bushes, bent tca, check wheelbase between centre of front and rear wheel each side, they should be pretty similar.
Even repairs in the road can induce pulling and some tyres are very sensitive to this, my F1 were but thank god they are gone now.
Make sure the road is flat, the best way to see if it is really pulling one way is to drive in the centre of a decent road and see if it tracks straight and true..
tabetha