Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

3 door Cosworth query

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 04:53 PM
johnlboyer
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3 door Cosworth query

Hi guys, I am having problems with my car. It was steaming out of the header tank while out on a run a week or so ago. It happened again the following day as I was going up to the local garage for petrol. The header tank had split along the bottom seam. I have bought a new Bailey header tank which I have fitted. I took the car out again today, and it blew steam and coolant into the engine bay. I got in touch with Bailey, and asked what level the coolant should be in the header tank. I was told between halfway or upto within an inch from the top of the tank. This I did and took the car out again, and it again blew steam and coolant into the engine bay. I returned home and released the header tank pressure. I let the car stand for an hour or so, and checked the coolant level, and the tank was almost empty. I put in a couple of pints of water, replaced the cap and let the car run for an hour or so without any further blowing of water or steam. the fans were cutting in when temperature guage was about 3/4 towards red. I stopped the engine and checked the coolant level which was about 1/2 full. Should the coolant level be 1/2 full when hot, in the header tank, or do I have a further reaching problem? I cant see any sign of the oil emulsifing and the sump oil level has not risen. There is no obvious drop in performance. Any thoughts? Regards John.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:50 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by johnlboyer
Hi guys, I am having problems with my car. It was steaming out of the header tank while out on a run a week or so ago. It happened again the following day as I was going up to the local garage for petrol. The header tank had split along the bottom seam. I have bought a new Bailey header tank which I have fitted. I took the car out again today, and it blew steam and coolant into the engine bay. I got in touch with Bailey, and asked what level the coolant should be in the header tank. I was told between halfway or upto within an inch from the top of the tank. This I did and took the car out again, and it again blew steam and coolant into the engine bay. I returned home and released the header tank pressure. I let the car stand for an hour or so, and checked the coolant level, and the tank was almost empty. I put in a couple of pints of water, replaced the cap and let the car run for an hour or so without any further blowing of water or steam. the fans were cutting in when temperature guage was about 3/4 towards red. I stopped the engine and checked the coolant level which was about 1/2 full. Should the coolant level be 1/2 full when hot, in the header tank, or do I have a further reaching problem? I cant see any sign of the oil emulsifing and the sump oil level has not risen. There is no obvious drop in performance. Any thoughts? Regards John.
i suspect you have a blockage. when the fans come on, did the water level drop at all?

if its boiled up as much as you say it has, i'm afraid it may have damaged the headgasket.

what was the temp gauge doing while on this was going on

get a headgasket test done, if that's OK (which i doubt it is!); give the system a complete flush

Last edited by LHD220Turbo; 02-12-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:34 PM
AndyPen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Get the gasses checked in the header tank mate - I'd suspect the headgasket as well I'm afraid.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:18 PM
iftikhar
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u need a proper cossie !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:22 PM
COLEYST200
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 144 Likes on 133 Posts

headgasket.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:18 PM
cossieDavedree
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by iftikhar
phil
Old 03-12-2008, 11:48 AM
johnlboyer

Default 3 door cossie query

Originally Posted by iftikhar
I have got one. I was asking for help, not stupid comments.!!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:57 AM
johnlboyer

Default 3 door query.

I have been in touch with one of the best Cossie garages in the land. My car has the Sapphire style tank fitted. The coolant level should be 1/2 an inch above the bottom inlet when cold . This seems to be the answer to the problems I have been having. Head gasket looks not to be damaged. What looked to be overheating problems was nothing more than far to much coolant in the system having nowhere to go other than out of the system past the header tank cap. Regards OAP John.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:00 PM
johnlboyer

Default 3 door query

Originally Posted by LHD220Turbo
i suspect you have a blockage. when the fans come on, did the water level drop at all?

if its boiled up as much as you say it has, i'm afraid it may have damaged the headgasket.

what was the temp gauge doing while on this was going on

get a headgasket test done, if that's OK (which i doubt it is!); give the system a complete flush
Thanks mate for you useful and sensible comments. See my previous post on what seems to have been the problem. Regards John.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:45 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like your thermostat has stuck closed. Its located in the front of the head behind the aluminium 90 degree bend which the top hose comes off. Take it out and drop it into a bowl of boiling hot water and see if the spring moves as the water cools below 87 degrees. Only a few quid to replace on the 3dr
Old 03-12-2008, 05:09 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The level is best WHERE IT WANTS TO BE, I always fill to about 1/2" to 1" above the minimum mark, as this is plenty, you know it has coolant, the purpose of the tank is to allow/provide an air space to allow expansion, hence it's name.
If it's got slightly more in than it wants, it will settle at it's level, the mondy I had never used a drop of water in 3 years, but level even when topped to minimum always settled just about 1/2" below minimum, never budged from there ever apart from of course when hot, I'd top up few days later that same spot again, so left it and there it stayed.
You may be lucky and not have killed the headgasket only time will tell.
tabetha

Last edited by tabetha; 03-12-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Shanny

Head gasket looks not to be damaged.
Out of curiousity...how can you tell that the head gasket isn't damaged?

Is it possible that there is damage where you can see it without removing the head?

Sorry if I come across as being a tw*t, just genuinely interested

Shanny
Old 03-12-2008, 07:01 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Shanny
Out of curiousity...how can you tell that the head gasket isn't damaged?

Is it possible that there is damage where you can see it without removing the head?

Sorry if I come across as being a tw*t, just genuinely interested

Shanny
without doing a fluid test you cant while the engine is intact
Old 03-12-2008, 07:39 PM
JoeRS22
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Bloody cossies!! always playing up.....
Old 03-12-2008, 08:22 PM
AndyPen

Its a cheap test to get the gasses in the tank checked and if the gasket is suspect would be good for peace of mind imo. Not scare mongering, just being sensible in the circumstances you describe. Pauls point about the thermostat is also a good one.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:14 AM
johnlboyer

Default 3 door query

Originally Posted by tabetha
The level is best WHERE IT WANTS TO BE, I always fill to about 1/2" to 1" above the minimum mark, as this is plenty, you know it has coolant, the purpose of the tank is to allow/provide an air space to allow expansion, hence it's name.
If it's got slightly more in than it wants, it will settle at it's level, the mondy I had never used a drop of water in 3 years, but level even when topped to minimum always settled just about 1/2" below minimum, never budged from there ever apart from of course when hot, I'd top up few days later that same spot again, so left it and there it stayed.
You may be lucky and not have killed the headgasket only time will tell.
tabetha
Hi, I still have my ST 24 ex show Mondeo which I dont think I will ever part with. When I first had the Mondeo, around 3 years ago, I had similar problems to those I am having with the Cossie. It was then fitted with an American made header tank which I replaced with the standard plastic Ford item. I have had no problems with the Mondeo since. Regards John.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:30 AM
johnlboyer

Default 3 door query

Originally Posted by AndyPen
Its a cheap test to get the gasses in the tank checked and if the gasket is suspect would be good for peace of mind imo. Not scare mongering, just being sensible in the circumstances you describe. Pauls point about the thermostat is also a good one.
Thanks guys, I checked the thermostat yesterday evening, and it could be seen to be operating,{opening and shutting} with water temperature changes. I will get the gasses checked ASAP in the header tank. There are no exhaust gas type smells from the header tank when the cap is removed after running the engine. There is also a good flow of coolant from the turbo pipe when the engine is running. I am not loosing any coolant after running the engine, now that the header tank water level has been reduced. Another thought is that when coolant blows past the header tank for whatever reason on a normal car, it is not noticed wheras on a Cosworth , it blows straight out of the bonnet vents, and causes immediate panic. I have run the car in the drive again, for about an hour with no obvious problems. I will take it out later today to see if anything changes. Kind regards ,John.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:43 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the opposite problem, my car won't heat up, two brand new stats, ok for a week or so, then get real lazy, temps were around 33C after 20 mins idling when doing cold start stuff today, so a pattern one it is then now, used a QH on most other things without problem, just wish it was like other halfs mk3 astra, that is real like a furnace!!
tabetha
Old 04-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

My heaters as poo too. I used to have a 2.0ltr twin cam 8v engine in my old sierra and the heaters were mint. The heaters in my cossie are poo. If i just leave the engine idling the heaters get really gmt but as soon as i drive it they just get warm. Its that time of year where i need my heaters i was thinking about putting a piece of card board in front of the radiator like in the mk3 days lol.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:01 PM
AndyPen

Thanks guys, I checked the thermostat yesterday evening, and it could be seen to be operating,{opening and shutting} with water temperature changes. I will get the gasses checked ASAP in the header tank. There are no exhaust gas type smells from the header tank when the cap is removed after running the engine. There is also a good flow of coolant from the turbo pipe when the engine is running. I am not loosing any coolant after running the engine, now that the header tank water level has been reduced. Another thought is that when coolant blows past the header tank for whatever reason on a normal car, it is not noticed wheras on a Cosworth , it blows straight out of the bonnet vents, and causes immediate panic. I have run the car in the drive again, for about an hour with no obvious problems. I will take it out later today to see if anything changes. Kind regards ,John.
All sounds good to me mate. As you say it is kind of a 'design fault!!' to mess up the engine bay like that when they pop out the water. I did have a problem that sounded very similar once with a very occassional water loss. That winter I pulled the head off and there was a tiny split in the head gasket. I'm really lucky it didn't go - and everything was straight fortunately, didn't even need to skim the head.