Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Boost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 09:01 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boost?

hi everyone. am looking for a bit of advice. ive gotta G-reg 2wd saph cossie. its gotta RS500 intercooler, K&N induction kit, -31 actuator, samco boost and coolant hoses and stainless exhaust. i believe the car is running the standard chip and i was wondering what boost i could (reasonably safely) run for a little bit m ore power without upgrading the chip or melting a piston or two. any help would be gratefully accepted.

cheers

dave
Old 08-02-2004, 09:19 PM
Anonymous
Banned

To go over the standard boost setting you have to make sure that the engine is getting enough fuel, so turning up the boost without playing with the the ecu isn't the best idea.

The engine can handle 330bhp but requires the appropriate chip, fueling and mapping to run safely.

My knowledge is limited however, i'm bit of a newby to this game.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Anonymous
Banned

hi fella,

your currently in stage 1 tune (running 14.7 psi = 1 bar boost) which should see you to around 270bhp. As above post you can run up to 330bhp on std comp (although i'm not sure how long it'll last, depends on how many miles the motor has done and how well its been looked after) !!! anyway you don't want to start just turning up the boost and hoping for the best, as you'll need a specially mapped chip anyway !!! as the stage 1 chip will be set up for a max of 1 bar boost and the standard 2 bar map sensor is on its limit !!!!!!!!

cossie tuning stages have been tried and tested over the years so your best off with going for the green injector, 3 bar map, t34 turbo route IMO !!!!

stay cool

paul
Old 08-02-2004, 09:58 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cossiep
your currently in stage 1 tune (running 14.7 psi = 1 bar boost) which should see you to around 270bhp.
No he is not,he is running a standard chip which if the boost hasnt been raised it will be 9psi.

The standard chip will only allow 12psi of boost,after that you need a new chip
Old 08-02-2004, 11:57 PM
plater
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it actually possible to just turn up the boost ?.......Do these chips not have a built in failsafe to stop overboosting, e.g my own 4x4 saf has a stage 1 chip of unknown origin and the car has run 1 bar boost for the 4 years i've owned it, However , a problem early on with the amal valve led us to fit a bleed valve as a temporary measure whilst waiting for a new amal, as you know adjusting the bleed valve up or down allows adjustment of the boost setting but what we found interesting was that the chip would not let the boost go above 18 psi. Infact when the boost kicked in and 18 psi was reached the chip cut power to the engine altogether, very much like hitting a rev limiter, Quite violent and the first time it happened pretty unnerving, indeed i had visions at the time of all sorts of mechanical mayhem going on under the bonnet. Needless to say when the new amal arrived the bleed valve was removed and the boost was set correctly by way of the actuator. Obviously no long term damage was done because that was nearly 4 years ago and the car has been fine ever since, but as a result i have always assumed that these chips had safety protocols written in to them to provide a safe boost limit and protect engine internals from lean running and piston melt-down. Am i right or am i wrong ?
Old 09-02-2004, 06:34 AM
Guinnless
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes plater, a good chip will have these safety parameters written in.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:18 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Agree with Steve
Old 09-02-2004, 10:32 PM
Anonymous
Banned

cos my car is runnin between 9-10psi at the mo. if i turn it up to 12psi will i notice a difference? it should be ok like that presuming the engines in good nick should it?

cheers for everyones help

dave
Old 10-02-2004, 08:29 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

You may notice a very slight difference,but not alot
Old 18-02-2004, 09:13 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

you really want to be careful what you're doing here, and who's advice you follow.

the standard chip as mentioned is programmed to run 9 psi boost. it has been mentioned that 12 psi can be run with a standard chip, but is this a peak of 12 psi that you typically get at about 3 - 3500 rpm (and is allowed by the amal valve when running a held boost of 9psi), or is Tiff saying that it is safe to run 12 psi held right up to the rev limit? It may well be on some, but without checking it on your particular engine I wouldn't want to risk it. For example, if your fuel pressure is down for whatever reason, or injectors a bit dirty and not flowing well, you could do some serious damage.

it can be the case that you can get away with running a certain amount of boost in the lower gears as it quickly goes through the revs, but if you do it held flat out in 5th gear, the temperature in the combustion chamber can gradually build up until you get problems with melted pistons!

if you don't really know what you're doing, best to leave it at standard. i would also advise against just going out and buying upgradekits to run 'stage 3' or whatever (you can buy a 3 bar MAP sensor, green '803' injectors and a chip "mapped to suit"), but if you don't fully understand it and don't have the necessary tools to check it (such as measuring the emmisions levels, air/fuel ratio, exhaust gas temperatures etc, etc) you could end up with severe engine damage.

as a fellow cossie owner, i'm just warning you so that you don't make the mistake that so any have made before you and just get tempted to wind up the boost in the search for more power.

keep it standard and reliable, or if you want to tune it at all, either fully research it and get yourself the proper tools (expensive), get it done by a pro (not so bad), or have it blow up you (breaks your wallet and your heart).

at the end of the day, a standard cossie is a quick car. trying to get slightly more power out of it by slightly increasing the boost is not worth the risk IMHO. either get a new chip or remap and proffesional setup for higher boost, or leave it standard.

as i advised before, that rs500 i/c is not helping you at all at this boost level. i would replace it with a standard 2wd (about 20 quid) or 4x4 (about 80 quid) i/c that will cool the charge just as well and give you a better response. keep the rs500 i/c for later in case you start to run serious boost and need it.
Old 18-02-2004, 09:40 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

thinking about it, it seems strange that you've got all these upgrades on your motor, but with a standard chip.

presumably you bought the car like this?

what colour are your fuel injectors (standard are yellow)?

it could be that someone was running another chip and injectors and changed back to standard to sell it, but you wouldn't normally put an rs500 i/c on anything less than a stage 3 running a t34 turbo (with a bigger compressor wheel than your standard t3 to give more boost without overspeeding), 3 bar MAP sensor and larger than standard injectors.

if i were you, i'd have a look at the ecu to see what you've got. on a 2wd sapph cossie, it will be behind the dash on the passenger side. you remove the cover of the dash that is facing the passenger above the glove box. there'll be 2 ecu's in there, one for the abs, and the other is for the engine. have a look at it and check it against the information in here: http://www.homepages.hetnet.nl/~pete...cs/electronics

you should see if it's been tampered with. if so, open the cover and have a look inside at the chip. before you go behind the dash cover, i would disconnect the battery (don't forget stereo code!) cos you don't want to short anything out.

let us know what you find.
Old 18-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Anonymous
Banned

sorry m8, missed the bit about standard chip !!! half asleep

i agree with foreigners bit dodgy deviating from accepted combinations of parts and just turning up the boost !!!

I currently run a stage 1 set up and a newly rebuilt motor with 7.2:1 comp ration (so it feels a bit flat) but i have plans for a lot more power in the future !!!

you can run up to 330bhp on a standard comp motor, but as mentioned b4 depends on how tired it is etc, etc.

As foreigners said a cossie is a quick car as standard, but if you still feel the urge for more stage 1 (270bhp) is a great improvement in drivability IMO, and costs very little and still retains the motors reliability !!!

just dont go and bolt on a t4 with greys and 36psi and expect reliable everyday motoring !!!

Old 18-02-2004, 11:52 PM
PJay
Virgin

Do NOT turn the boost up unless you have the fuelling to match, cossiep i'm afraid your wrong when you say a standard comperrsion engine can only handle 330 bhp, and as for running stage 1 with a compression of 7.2:1 i hop your car has been mapped accordingly
Old 19-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Anonymous
Banned

pjay,

i said a standard comp motor can only run 330 bhp max, from a safety aspect as as far as i know this is the accepted safe limit for a standard comp motor ???

and yes mine has been mapped accordinly by pj motorsport
Old 19-02-2004, 02:06 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

not true mate. can go higher if running an appropriate turbo and injectors and correct mapping.
Old 19-02-2004, 03:31 PM
Anonymous
Banned

ok chaps,

i stand corrected , still a bit new to cossie tuning.

From research 330bhp keeps appearing as the safe limit for a standard comp motor, is this a bit on the safe side and how much can you safely run with the correct set up ??? and will it be reliable ???
Old 19-02-2004, 05:57 PM
PJay
Virgin

330 is very much on the safe side 400bhp can be acheived on standard compression even more with a tickle of gas
Old 19-02-2004, 07:17 PM
Anonymous
Banned

f@@king hell !!!!!!!!

i've just spent £@@@@ on having a new low comp 4wd motor dropped in (which i was advised to do in order to get to the power i eventually wanted), while all the time i could have saved the money had my old 2wd lump rebuilt and got 400 bhp (with a bit of jiggery pokery) !!!!!

some of these websites feed you bull s@@t !!!!
Old 19-02-2004, 07:43 PM
PJay
Virgin

some of these websites feed you bull s@@t !!!!
They do mate yes, it's possible with good mapping but generally low compression is advised for IRO 380+
Old 19-02-2004, 07:46 PM
Anonymous
Banned

ok pjay,

don't feel QUITE so bad now, as i want 415 bhp this summer, finances permitting !!! so low comp build dosen't seem such a waste

cheers

paul