Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

AP calipers

Search this Thread

Old 15-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Daz-rst
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP calipers

is there a difference between any of the ap 4 pot calipers or are they all the same?/ also can someone show me pics of the mounting brackets as i wanna see exactly wot causes the problems on a 4x4.
cheers
daz
Old 15-03-2008, 08:15 PM
trevCOSS
Advanced PassionFord User

what problems are you refering to?
Old 15-03-2008, 08:20 PM
trevCOSS

heres a pic of my callipers bells and brackets 4x4
Attached Thumbnails AP calipers-dsc00237.jpg  
Old 15-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Daz-rst

well i just wondered if all ap 4pot calipers were the same, as i can get a set. also it seems that 4x4 hubs foul on certain calipers hence why people say 2wd ones wont fit on 4x4`s but didnt know if it was down to the caliper or due to the bracket which mounts them to the hub. if its just bcause the mounting bracket is different i can hopefully get one made up to make em fit. but if calipers are specific to certain cars then i will have to wait
Old 15-03-2008, 08:22 PM
trevCOSS

if they are radial mount callipers then you will be ok and can get new brackets to suit if they are lug mount they will be no good probably
Old 15-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Daz-rst

ok so getting technical wots the difference between lug and radial??
Old 16-03-2008, 05:04 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LUG mount are like the std type mount where a large lug(x2) comes off and has a hole through it into which the bolt passes through to the hub lug onto which it is tightened.
RADIAL mount are holes at each end of the caliper but go from theoutside towards the centre, into the BRACKET, the bolts on the calipers run in the same plane as the pads, like a RADIAL engine with all the pistons pointing inwards towards the crank.
The bracket then has holes for these to bolt into, as well as some otyher holes at 90 degrees to these which are the normal hub mounting bolts.
There are many different AP calipers, but anyone doing the brackets would be able to supply the suitable ones.
There are far cheaper options for brakes as good as AP's as well.
tabetha

Trending Topics

Old 16-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Daz-rst

i take it cossies are lug mounting calipers?? if so then the ones i can get are no good as the bolt gos through the caliper into the bracket. wot brake options are as good as ap`s but wont cost me an arm and a leg then tabs???
Old 16-03-2008, 12:49 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

You can fit other LUG mounted ones as well as RADIAL mounted with the correct brackets.
FRS/CUPRA R/PUG 406COUPE caliperswill fit with brackets and a LOT cheaper.
The AP's are wickedly good, but not that much better for the premium they command.
4wd brakes being single piston sliders are hopeless, even 2wd four pots would give a very marked improvement, went from 4wd cossie brakes to 2wd on my old sierra, MASSIVE difference.
If you get aftermarket calipers then getting a set of brackets made by brom or reyland will get them fitting/working well.
Don't forget to add decent fluid, braided lines, decent pads, people have thier favourite pads, some better than others for different uses.
Grooved and or drilled discs make a massive difference as they constantly deglaze the pads as well, I use drilled, and just change every couple of years as cheap, about £35 a pair.
I rate EBC REDSTUFF CERAMIC, and YELLOWSTUFF very highly and use them myself, despite being able to get any FERRODO FOC, but FERRODO have no feel, which I don't like.
As we are getting nicer weather(sometime soon!!) I will let you drive my car to see how the brakes are if you want.
Old 16-03-2008, 05:13 PM
trevCOSS

Originally Posted by Daz-rst
i take it cossies are lug mounting calipers?? if so then the ones i can get are no good as the bolt gos through the caliper into the bracket. wot brake options are as good as ap`s but wont cost me an arm and a leg then tabs???
std cossie callipers are lug mount yes but aftermarket ones like my AP's are radial mount, i.e the bolt goes through the calliper from the top like tabetha explained above so the ones you can get may be of use, do you have the ap part number? also you have not mentioned disks at all, what dia are you thinking of because obviously the calliper will be made to suit a certain dia range of disks. Also although tabethas advice on less expensive options is ok, if your not 100% sure what your doing the easiest way to uprate your brakes is to buy a complete kit of someone like martin, that way it will be fit right first time without mucking about and it will also work well.
Old 16-03-2008, 05:43 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Martin can also supply the FRS calipers and discss/brackets to suit.
You can get lug mount calipers to suit massive disc size, but usually as said radial as easier to mount.
tabetha
Old 16-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Daz-rst

the discs the calipers are used with are 300mm but i was going to see how much 330mm discs are and get some brackets made to fit the calipers. i will get a part number tomorrow.
Old 17-03-2008, 06:09 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

For 300mm discs you could use ST170(about£35pr), for 325mm discs you could use FRS(about £70pr), will be the cheapest option.
tabetha