Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

How easy is it to fit a boost gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 17-12-2007, 04:27 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How easy is it to fit a boost gauge?

Someone tell me please. There's a big gap in my life caused by my Cossie not having one. It's like I've just realised the king has no clothes.
Old 17-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Ive never fitted 1 myself but i know that you will need a T piece and put it in the pipe that goes to the dump valve(thats if you have 1). Then feed a bit of pipe to inside the car and then fit it to the back of the boost gauge. Then you will need to wire up the light. You will need a live from the side lights and then an earth. . Could be wrong but im sure this is how you will do it.
Old 17-12-2007, 07:23 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes as simple as that, do NOT under any circumstances plumb into MAP sensor pipe.
You also may want to leave off the illumination, I have on mine as I would find it too distracting at night so close on the pillar.
Best place for the "T" pieces are in shops that sell fish, as these are used in fish tanks, lot cheaper and better than the car shop ones!!
tabetha
Old 17-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I never thought of a shop that sells fish for a T piece. You could also buy the pipe to from the shop. Ive got my boost gauge mounted where the radio should be,and ive moved my cd player down to the next slot.
Old 17-12-2007, 09:07 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

They do seem expensive though?? Is this a good deal...

https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=306360
Old 17-12-2007, 09:07 PM
AndyPen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I fitted one of these - the gauge is in perfect line of sight - visually in the centre of the rev counter

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=019
Old 17-12-2007, 09:19 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

Originally Posted by AndyPen
I fitted one of these - the gauge is in perfect line of sight - visually in the centre of the rev counter

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=019
Hey that's quite cool, it's all dollars though isn't it!
Old 18-12-2007, 04:33 AM
stevecossy
PassionFord Regular

I know few guys who have joined it into the map senor pipe with no probs, so why is this a no no then ? cheers
Old 18-12-2007, 06:00 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

It is purely from a leak point of view, there are numerous other places to take it off from, so maybe best to leave the ONE mega critical point alone, if you get a leak here the boost gauge will read innacurately, just before the engine goes bang due to duff map signal, just a little extra security that's all, but up to you.
Places that sell fish are very good hunting grounds for certain car parts like "T" pieces, pipes, valves as well.
I use washer tubing which is fish tank pipe, around Ł1.50 for 5 metres.
The "T" pieces if you want can be got in BRASS cheaply as well, I bought a pair of "T" pieces for my cooling system, so I can plumb my washer bottle up and get it heated, these cost me Ł2.50, but local DIY shop wanted Ł9 each!!
tabetha
Old 18-12-2007, 07:02 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

How did you do that then tabetha plumb your washers up to your coolent system.
Old 18-12-2007, 07:46 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if you just want a gauge that will tell youw hat's going on then go cheap and nasty
if you want acuracy and life expectancy then you need to spend some money

just find a vac pipe and plumb it in, but there are a few things you need to consider before you cut and dodge
the amount of boost the turbo provides is different to the amount of boost the engine sees, so you need to decide which you want to measure

at one point i had 3 boost gauges on my car, one each from the turbo's and one in the plenum and there was a good few lb's of boost being lost and one turbo was blowing harder than the other, even though the end reslut was an equal amount of boost at the inlet

on the other hand, i was fortunate enough to have an actual adapter that i could unscrew from the plemun and put a fitting into

also read up on stu's words where he tells you how to make sure you don't have any boost leaks or how to minimise the amount you lose through the system
Old 18-12-2007, 12:42 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

To plumb washer system to cooling system simply, use the lower pipe that runs at the back of the rad, the one that normally corrodes and leaks, join the end of this to some copper pipe running through the washer bottle, and out again where you join it to the end that would have gone onto the metal pipe that corrodes.
NB I changed my metal pipe for a piece of Marine Grade stainless pipe, cost Ł4, but cheaper than a seized engine!!
The advantages of 85/90C water in the washer bottle is it removes dead flies perfectly in the summer months, and stops it freezing in the winter months.
I cannot detect any difference in the car heating up heater wise does not seem to take any longer that you can notice.
tabetha
Old 18-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Tev
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
if you just want a gauge that will tell youw hat's going on then go cheap and nasty
if you want acuracy and life expectancy then you need to spend some money
This is so true, ive got a anolog gauge n now i have a digital gauge thanx 2 a secs monitor, the differance between the readin is quite shockin, it goes 2 show u only get what u pay 4

Also NEVER EVER T in 2 the fuel pressure reg