Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Group A fuel pump Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:02 AM
stevecossy
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Group A fuel pump Advice

Hi all, I have just bought a group A fuel pump for my 4x4 saff cos, The cable connections look differant to the std 1s so do i cut off the old plugs and crimp on some ring connectors?
Also changed the fuel filter and some serious crap came out of the old 1 it looked like pond water with loads of silt in, I have had probs with the car starting ok cold and running great til its warm, Then it chokes and dies wont start again till its cooled a bit.
I have changed all sensors and checked volts etc, i pulled off fuel return pipe and nowts coming back so thought its fuel pump not giving enough press, Some guys on here said it maybe fuel filter blocked and just pulsing fuel thro.
I just wonder how it can run ok cold but not warm if its the pump or filter.
Im gunna rewire pump also just to be sure.
Any ideas/thoughts would be great thanks as its driving me mad, been off the road 8 wks now damn it.
Cheers steve
Old 01-11-2007, 10:44 AM
silky16v
Get on That!

does it drive ok when warm, what the fuel consumption like?

have you checked the FPR, has this played with at any stage? is the vaccum pipe to this ok?

also once engine is warm and upto running temperature try unpluging the Idle Control Valve - does the engine die after this or keep running at the correct rpm (it should run perfectly when disconnected when engine is warm)

also what setup is the car?

And finally check all wiring you have have a break down in the loom somewhere and the ECU isn't ready the sensor values
Old 01-11-2007, 11:13 AM
stevecossy
PassionFord Regular

Vac pipe ok on fpr and suck test ok and its not been played with either.
Car dies as soon as warm and wont start again till its cooled a bit but then dies again when warm, dont know fuel consumption as not had it going long enough to go on the road.
Its stg 3 collins chip, act, dump, greens, 3bar map sensor, grp A coil and air filter, RS500 intercooler and turbo after cooler, ford race plugs and leads. I have changed phase, atc, cts and map sensors, checked timing and all voltage/ resistence checks.
So im hoping its either fuel pump or filter as when i pulled the return pipe off the fpr nowt came out, As i said once pump is on ill check running volts to the pump but gunna re wire anyway.
Maybe its fault with FPR knowing my luck, She ran great after the stg 3 was fitted with 1.3 bar boost for about 6 wks.
Took her on the track in sept here in norway and it went great but on the way home just died and never gone on the road since. cheers
Old 01-11-2007, 01:17 PM
silky16v
Get on That!

right ok i'd try the FPR if you have a spare also check the sensor reading at the ecu connector also try a new CTS
Old 01-11-2007, 06:21 PM
rinus_2005
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

it was fine before, now you only changed the fuel filter and pump, or all the sensors/chip aswell?
Old 02-11-2007, 05:30 AM
stevecossy
PassionFord Regular

Checked all readings at ecu plug before to the spec in the ford tech manuel, all seem ok.
Ive changed ect ,atc, phase,map sensors, checked tps and isv.
BUT now i have BIGGER PROBLEMS tried fitting new grp A fuel pump and the output side is too small so orig nut wont go, SO i decided to refit old pump start it up and check volts 2 pump.
Car turned over for a while as normal after fitting new filter, then fired up but i had a leak from filter, so i turned it off, tighten joint and F##K ME now it wont start.
Any ideas guys? maybe need to think outside the norm as im captain unlucky with cars and should be in mental home with all this S##t.
MAny thanks guys. cheers steve