Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Cossie clocks!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 03:04 PM
broos3
Regular Contributor

Location: Linlithgow and Drives a 1989 Flint Grey Sierra Cosworth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cossie clocks!!

Hiya i have just bought myself a sierra cosworth. flint grey in very very good condition has done 50k!!

Anyway i have afew questions

1. How can i adjust the millage on the clocks?? I have just bought a set of clocks with 75k on them so i need to adjust to suit my car. There must be a way?? Vauxhalls are easy, and i dont want to breka my new 170mph clocks!

2. The timing belt is ment to be changed at 48k im guessing it has not been done. Is this an easy job and can i buy/get a manual for the engine? I would say im experienced with engines as i have built afew road/rally engines but never realy touched cosworths.

Thats all the questions for now lol

Thanks Bruce
Old 11-10-2006, 02:56 PM
broos3
Regular Contributor

Anyone know??

Bruce
Old 11-10-2006, 06:53 PM
jon@work
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Changing the mileage can be done but only by taking the clocks apart and being a bit brutal with a sharp implement. I remember that there was a requirement to unclip the numbers/mounting shaft, but without a set of clocks in front of me, I honestly can't remember any further details.

With regards the cam belt, if it hasn't been done recently, then it is definately worth doing asap.

You may find it awkward getting the bottom pulley off, but then again you may be OK - depends on if it's got the 3 threaded holes in it or not. There are some people on here who have changed the belt without removing the bottom pulley, but I haven't tried that, so I don't know how easy it is.

Make sure that when you tension the belt that you turn the tensioner in a clockwise direction to tighten the belt. If you turn it anti-clockwise, the belt can foul on the thermostat housing.

Buy a new belt tensioner when you buy a new belt - example price on ebay from Graham Goode (user RS500_2 IIRC) is about Ł60 posted for belt and tensioner.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:54 PM
broos3
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the information jon@work.

Adjusting the clocks sounds exactly like the vauxhall way. I take it you have to pull the MHP needle off the spindle?? Wont this mean it might go back in at slightly the wrong angle causing the clock to show incorrect speed!!

Thanks for the info on the Timing Belt, defonatly a good idea to get a tensioner aswell. Is the belt from graham goode better or worse than the standard ford item(s)??

Is there anything else that can/should be done when changing the timing belt?

Cheers Bruce
Old 12-10-2006, 12:11 AM
jon@work
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't remove the needle from the speedo - as you say, this could introduce an inaccurate reading.

I wouldn't have a problem fitting either the standard or Gates "Group A" (ie citroen XM) belt to my engine (in fact I don't know what's fitted at the moment).

With regards anything else, it may be worthwhile changing the thermostat whilst you're doing a bit of spannering. If 2wd, get a 82 degree stat again from GGR on ebay. If 4x4, get a 82 degree stat from Halfords, part number HTK606 (look in the box before you buy it - it should contain a thickish rubber seal that's thicker than the standard Ford seal but still useable) for about Ł6, unless you want a genuine 88 degree stat from Ford for about Ł45 with the correct (thinner) seal.

If you are ordering a few items from GGR, you can phone them direct, allowing you to get a combined (cheaper) postage price. Before you phone them, check out the condition if the wiring of the crank position sensor (goes brittle - disconnect the sensor from the engine loom and give it a good wiggle and wait for the cracking noises) and the wiring of the phase sensor inside the dizzy (also goes brittle allowing the wires to touch). Consider getting yourself a spare air charge temp sensor and water temp sensor.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:28 PM
broos3
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the information on the engine jon, you have been a great help. Its a 2wd. I will check the crank and phase sensors thanks, good bit of information there!!

The coolant and thermostat were getting changed anyway. As is brake fluid and power steering fluid.

Anymore info for yourself or others??

Thanks Bruce
Old 16-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Damocos
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can change the whole mileage spindles over Did this on my saff, my original 150mph speedo had the original mileage of 70k and i wanted the same when i upgraded to the 170mph clocks. Its an easy swap, just a bit of gentle prising with a flat screwdriver and job done All sierra milometers are the same
Old 17-10-2006, 10:40 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

good advice there

send me your email address by pm, and i'll mail you a manual
Old 17-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Damocos
You can change the whole mileage spindles over Did this on my saff, my original 150mph speedo had the original mileage of 70k and i wanted the same when i upgraded to the 170mph clocks. Its an easy swap, just a bit of gentle prising with a flat screwdriver and job done All sierra milometers are the same
Why did yours have 150mph clocks in it? I'm new to cossies so please bear with me
Old 17-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Damocos
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
Originally Posted by Damocos
Why did yours have 150mph clocks in it? I'm new to cossies so please bear with me
Mine was never a cossie, was a 1800 and i converted it to a 24v cossie.
Old 17-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I gotcha Does it have an xr4x4 rev counter to do that?
Old 18-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Damocos
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
I gotcha Does it have an xr4x4 rev counter to do that?
Nah! i have used the Granny 24v rev counter

B4 i put the 170 speedo in
Old 18-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I didn't even know that'd fit. I'd have used the xr4x4 one I think.