Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Cossie 3Door / sapphire car loom differences if any

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Gavan Hood
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cossie 3Door / sapphire car loom differences if any

I have been told that these two car looms are the same with the addittion of extra two doors on central locking. They said that all looms have the rear wiper and washer connections in them.

I have no idea if this is true... do you guys know if they are the same or can be used in a three door ?
If it can be it is probably easier to find a good sapphire loom than a 3 door one.

Thank goodness for this site.... people who know and tell you whats correct... Thanks ..

Regards
Gavan
Old 02-07-2006, 11:39 PM
ozcos
Regular Contributor

Hi Gaven,
I would of said they are different.
The engine loom I believe is the same but the rest will have quite a few differences, ie door open computer will be different ABS module in different place. Fuel pump has a cut of on saph and not on 3dr, Washer bottle and pumps in a different position. I have never noticed the rear wash wipe plugs on a saph loom.(you will need the switch plug at dash end aswell)
The switches on dash may have wrong plugs.
Thats not to say you won't be able to use it, just it will be a lot of work and not a straight fit, Later saphs had alarms and immobilisers in the factory loom aswell.
Mark
Old 02-07-2006, 11:51 PM
ozcos
Regular Contributor

I would suggest you use your XR4Ti loom and just add what you need to it

Mark
Old 05-07-2006, 06:36 AM
Gavan Hood

I was intending to use the XR4Ti loom as you suggested, but found that the loom is suspect... when I removed the dash I found it had been patched with huge chunks of extra wire and then when I opened the loom for a closer look found the plasic insulation was going soft.... i.e likely to cause me a lot of grief...

I also found the plug from the loom to engine loom appears to be different in this car... ouch.

Hence this post...
Old 05-07-2006, 07:27 AM
ozcos
Regular Contributor

Ok its getting harder by the post LOL

Are you still in the UK or here now???

The loom I think I would be trying to find if you can't get a 3dr cos loom.
Would be a 85-86 4x4 sierra 2.8 car loom, (some of these have abs as option so that would all be correct) and then fit the engine loom from either a 3dr or a 2wd saph. There is no plug but its only about 3 wires to connect. The advantage of this loom is all the plugs should be right and in the right places. Dash switch plugs, abs control unit in the right place,column conections etc.
The abs loom must not be cut even if re-joining. This applies to any of the cables going to the sensors and are in the thicker sleeve. Or any of the sensors wires.

It is how ever starting to get very complicated and it may just be best to get abs loom and engine loom and have an auto eletrician wire it up here

Years ago I tryed to put a xr4i loom into a new saph shell and ended up trowing it away. The reverse of what you want I know but same probs.

I don't know what else I can suggest
Sorry fella
Old 07-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Gavan Hood

Thanks for your patience ozcos. IO am in Australia but have a shipment of parts about to ship from the UK.
I am still looking for a loom in UK to bring over but time is running out.
I will include the options you mention and see how I go.

I have purchased already a seperate ABS and Engine looms. I may end up taking my existing loom to an Auto electician here and saying refurbish this... please. I think everything worked with this loom however I will be removing the engine managment systems as it had the 2.3L turbo engine... wired in.

PA I am in Brisbane / Gold Coast are you near by?
Regards
Gavan
Old 07-07-2006, 09:14 AM
ozcos
Regular Contributor

Hi Gavin,

That is probably your best bet to refurb and then add to.

Not far away Hervey bay.

Mark