Ford Range This section is for other models in the Ford range.

Ford Cougar - please help!

Search this Thread

Old 30-05-2014, 03:09 PM
Kirsty29
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Cougar - please help!

My cougar has failed it's mot. It needs a replacement rear subframe. I can't find 1 anywhere. I've been told that the mk 2 mondeo 1 might fit. Is anybody able to confirm this for me please?
Old 30-05-2014, 04:12 PM
chris cdti
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirsty29
My cougar has failed it's mot. It needs a replacement rear subframe. I can't find 1 anywhere. I've been told that the mk 2 mondeo 1 might fit. Is anybody able to confirm this for me please?
Yes they are basically the same car. Make sure you swap the roll bar over as the cougar one is stiffer than a mondeo one. Unless you get a st200 rear subframe.
Old 31-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Kirsty29
Virgin

Thank you for your reply. I have now found 1 from a cougar. My other half is going to fit it. Do you know how much is involved with the change over, i.e - Does the subframe hold the springs in place? Sorry if I sound stupid!! I don't have a clue myself, just worried about letting him loose on my baby!!!
Old 31-05-2014, 06:27 PM
chris cdti

Thank you for your reply. I have now found 1 from a cougar. My other half is going to fit it. Do you know how much is involved with the change over, i.e - Does the subframe hold the springs in place? Sorry if I sound stupid!! I don't have a clue myself, just worried about letting him loose on my baby!!!

if you have one with all the arms still fitted it will make the job 100% easier. As the arms have oliptic washers for adjustment and getting them in the correct place with no tracking tools is no hope. The springs are on the rear dampers so you will be ok on that.
The frame and arms are held in by bolts so straight forward to do. Only thing you will have to do is make sure the subframe is in the correct place before tightening the bolts to the body. Two long sockets could be used to get it close as poss with having to buy the special dowles to do it.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:36 AM
Kirsty29
Virgin

Thank you, I will pass all that on to him, I'm sure it'll make more sense to him then it does me (or at least I hope it does!!!) Part arriving end of the week, wish us luck!!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:55 AM
chris cdti

Thank you, I will pass all that on to him, I'm sure it'll make more sense to him then it does me (or at least I hope it does!!!) Part arriving end of the week, wish us luck!!
Good luck and get some wd40 etc as them bolts would of been in there for around 13/14 years.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:58 AM
Kirsty29
Virgin

Otherhalf as already started spraying them in the hope that by the time he comes to do it, it may have started working a bit!!