Ford Mondeo Including ST Discuss all things about the Ford Mondeo from all models inc the ST220/200 etc in here!

Mondeo mk3 tdci buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 08:06 PM
xan_lee
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mondeo mk3 tdci buying advice

Hi!
I've been looking into buying a Mondeo MK3 diesel,pretty much decided to buy a estate, but I cannot decide between chosing a tddi or a tdci model. So far, what I've read about them is that the tddi is much more bulletproof than the tdci(injectors problems mainly). Whay do you think about this?
Another question is, I can buy a 2006 tdci model for the same price as a 2002 here in my country (they are very devalued).Were the tdci problems fixed by Ford by then or are they the same as in the first models?
Another Q, it is better to buy a car with around 80k (miles) that it maybe have not had replaced injectors or clutch , or one around 125k (miles), with more things changed in its life?

Thanks a lot!!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:43 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

If the injectors and clutch have been done then you "shoukd" have a decent car
Old 05-01-2014, 08:56 PM
JFB Tech
Not entirely sane

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I was looking at buying a TDCI Mk 3 Mondeo estate but went for a 2.0 petrol instead. The whole Diesel injector and fuel pump issues put me off. The injectors are about Ł200 each and have to have the ECU reprogrammed when they are changed so it's not something you can do yourself. Not sure if it's the same with the fuel pump but they are a grand. Seems they often all pack up at the same time. There do seem to be a few on ebay with management light on and it wouldn't be worth spending that sort of money to fix them.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:53 AM
xan_lee

Thanks for the opinions! I think I will wait till I find a correct TDDI unit! The DMF does not bother me too much, but the start up and running problems that can have the tdci really puts me off too...
Old 06-01-2014, 02:36 PM
daviddunlop83
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As with any car there is always horror stories.

If you get a later one, after mid 05 most of the injector issues were sorted by then and they don't have any more common injector problems than any other modern diesel.

The pump doesn't need coded tho doesn't go that often. As for the injectors you can code them yourself with F super which costs Ł20 and can be used for fault codes too.

My ST tdci had 113000 on it now and I changed the flywheel at around 100k.

Only other issue I have had with it is the pin sheering off the EGR valve, but 80p fixed it with a bit of silver steel dowel rod.

I used to have a tddi with 170k on it and was still fine, bit noisey but ran fine. I know my G/F's uncle bought a tddi from new and used it as a taxi up to 460,000 miles and pnly put a couple of clutches in it and replaced the electronic pump which is under car which is only Ł100 (failed on my one too at 120k) apparently its common to fail around 100k

Last edited by daviddunlop83; 06-01-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:02 PM
xan_lee

Thanks daviddunlop83!
Yes I know all modern diesels can suffer this failures(I am tech at Volvo dealer, I deal with this things everyday!). That's why I would prefer something more forgettable like an older tech TD .
It's a 2002 car, it cannot be THAT noisy. I'm used to driving older cars daily,so I'm sure it will be fine for me.
These are very devalued at the monent and I think they offer a lot of car for the money.
After hearing your experience with the tddi, I will definitely go for one. Will post pictures!!
Old 06-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Colin_P
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Get a Passat TDI with 1.9 PD engine. I did, the Mondeo horror stories put me off.

Maybe not such a nice car but bullet proof engine.

Trending Topics

Old 08-01-2014, 01:57 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Colin_P
Get a Passat TDI with 1.9 PD engine. I did, the Mondeo horror stories put me off.

Maybe not such a nice car but bullet proof engine.
Hardly bullet proof. There's a fallacy that the PD engine's are invincible. They're as prone to problems as any other modern diesel (granted the 1.9 is a much better bet than the later PDs). There are plenty of horror stories about Ford TDCis, but there are just as many tales of PD engines eating themselves.

Basically buying ANY second hand car is a lottery, and buying a second hand diesel is more likely to be costly (when it breaks) than the equivalent petrol engine.

Last edited by DanW@FastFord; 08-01-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 16-02-2014, 10:10 AM
Escos2483
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont bother . they are SHIT