Ford Mondeo Including ST Discuss all things about the Ford Mondeo from all models inc the ST220/200 etc in here!

Mondeo mk3 falling to bits-is it the dmf

Search this Thread

Old 26-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Whoswho
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Mondeo mk3 falling to bits-is it the dmf

Hi all.
First post so here goes.
Got a Mondeo mk3 51 plate 1.8 I have had a 05 engine fitted when bought.car has been parked up for 18 month has had work car it's back out now changed 4 springs front right wheel sounds like it wants to fall off really bad on bumpy roads or speed bumps.sounds like the springs are squeezing on the back of the car.also get a bad wobble on acceleration you can feel it through the car.engine no noise at start or tickover no noise when the clutch is in or out just bad wobble vibrating when driving.could this be a faulty wheel.been to garage who cannot find anything wrong with the right wheel even though it sounds like its ready to fall off.he reckons the dmf is causing the wobbling.but it kind of contradicts itself with what the Internet says I'm getting no noise on idle?it was ok 18month ago when parked up any ideas has to the problems or any ideas to work out if it's the dmf.im sure the garage is chasing the money-it's not the best garage in the world.also had 2 part worn tires. Fitted to this car could it be a faulty tire?.its knocking from the right wheel bad but not the bearing?its doing my head in.has anybody parked a Mondeo up for 18 month and had similar problems?.also unsure if my car has a dmf has I'm no mechanic.but all the garages around just seem to be out for what they can get.

Thanks for your time.
Whos
Old 26-06-2012, 01:24 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Mate, take it to a different garage!
Old 26-06-2012, 01:56 PM
the_frozen_one
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like square tyres
Old 26-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Whoswho
Virgin

Thanks for the replies,joking aside now.i actually was waiting for someone to put set I on fire.

Can some1 explain how to check for symptoms of the dmf going.
Also what makes a tinny rattling noise and occasional big knock going over rough ground or speed bumps only happening on drivers front wheel.
Could the driveshaft be at fault with the wobbling has I had a problem with the driveshaft boot comming loose on the passenger side.
The engine sounds healthy.a few pointers from the experts would be usefull
Old 26-06-2012, 02:24 PM
the_frozen_one

Originally Posted by the_frozen_one
Sounds like square tyres
Was being serious. Tyres can square off at the bottom when left standing for a long time. You say you've got 2 new part worns. Get another 2 for the other 2 wheels. Get em pukka balanced, and tracked. Job done
Old 27-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Whoswho
Virgin

I have had all the wheels checked for buckles.re-balanced and tracked no faulty tires.
Still have the wobble not has bad though has I had 1 wheel not balanced.
The guy told me he thought my problem was mechanical before he started.mechanic can't find anything to make noise on the front I'm changing the drop links Tom as seem a little worn.now the wobble what else can cause this under acceleration?besides what I have already checked.

Cheers

Whos
Old 28-06-2012, 09:47 AM
zx7r123
Virgin

Your discs ok? Warped discs can cause it! Also if ya callipers are partially seized.
Old 28-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Whoswho
Virgin

Originally Posted by zx7r123
Your discs ok? Warped discs can cause it! Also if ya callipers are partially seized.
Hi mate,

Thanks for replying I will put these on my checklist for the weekend.out of interest wouldn't warped disks cause knocking on braking? Has this does not happen.it only wobbles on acceleration in all gears feel it more in 5th.

Cheers

Whos
Old 28-06-2012, 03:58 PM
the_frozen_one

Is is related to speed? Ie is it fine to a certain speed then gets progressively worse say above 60?
Old 28-06-2012, 09:29 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoswho
Hi mate,

Thanks for replying I will put these on my checklist for the weekend.out of interest wouldn't warped disks cause knocking on braking? Has this does not happen.it only wobbles on acceleration in all gears feel it more in 5th.

Cheers

Whos
Does it change it you push the clutch in, or put it in neutral at speed?

Doesn't sound like DMF, but more likely suspension or wheel related.
Old 28-06-2012, 10:20 PM
the_frozen_one

I reckon it's the driveshaft extension to drive shaft knuckle, seeing as it's not wheels, tyres or DMF. Unless it's a knackered lower arm (v common on mk3 mondys) but that should of been easily spotted...
Old 28-06-2012, 10:42 PM
MikeyRobbo
PS3 - MikeyRobbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack the car up yourself, check the wheel for play, cant see it being DMF if theres no noise on idle you can hear the fuckers rattling around.
Old 29-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Whoswho
Virgin

Thanks for the replies guys I'm going to be looking at the car all weekend now off work.
To answer a few replies.

If I put it in neutral at speed the wobble stop sits only under Acceleration soon as cruising or very low accelerator use the car will go as normal.once I put my foot back down wobble wobble.

The car has been jacked up a few times no play with the wheels no bad bearings and lower arms ok.

Is there anyway I can check the driveshaft without replacing it.?
Also get a movement knock like the engine mounting has gone but engine is stable.

Il have a look an post back any findings.
Old 29-06-2012, 08:40 AM
the_frozen_one

Originally Posted by Whoswho
Is there anyway I can check the driveshaft without replacing it.?
Unclip the boot where the drivers side shaft goes into the extension and have a look. If there is very little grease, or it runs out as a liquid then its broken down and could of damaged the coupling. Clean the cup with a bit of rag, check for gouges, scores, signs of wear. Check the bearings on the driveshaft knuckle for the same. Rock it up and down inside the cup, check for excessive play.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Whoswho
Virgin

Originally Posted by the_frozen_one
Unclip the boot where the drivers side shaft goes into the extension and have a look. If there is very little grease, or it runs out as a liquid then its broken down and could of damaged the coupling. Clean the cup with a bit of rag, check for gouges, scores, signs of wear. Check the bearings on the driveshaft knuckle for the same. Rock it up and down inside the cup, check for excessive play.
Seems like you were correct mate

Drivers side driveshaft changed just the knuckle got a second hand 1.2 link bars.
Car drives sweet now.
Also was informed I have a back bearing to change And drop links on back then car is all fixed.
So much for the garage and the dmf-straight muppets.

The frozen one cheers mate I owe you a beer.

Whos