Ford Mondeo Including ST Discuss all things about the Ford Mondeo from all models inc the ST220/200 etc in here!

What on earth is it???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 01:02 AM
N1ck
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What on earth is it???

hi ive had my 1985 XR2 for a little while now and ive got thhhhhheeee most annoying problem.

i always drive it carefully...when accellerating or speeding up...i press the gas slowing and gradually till i get to about 4000 when i change gear

very occassionally i put my foot down slowly all the way till its flat to the floor. at this point ta noise begins. its high pitched and 'spliney' and kinda hurts your ears. it does it without fail in first...second occassionally and third i havent tried. ive asked a few people about it and noone has a definite answer.

i also went round a corner todya and the road was a bit bumpy...the noise appeared for a split second.

i think personallly its something to do with the differential. the car slightly pulls to one side when accellerating hard. its become even more annoying because im never comfortable driving it and especially flooring it because i know theres something wrong and its not making it any better. if anything its probably getting worse. has anyone had a similar problem? if so what did you do?

any comments would be very helpful...thank you
Old 11-07-2007, 05:32 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a thought, you MAY be looking at the wrong thing.
A high pitched noise can also be caused by people who baby these cars, as it causes the second throttle plate to stick, these are VACUUM controlled, they are often sticking.
The noise happened breifly whilst going round a corner could be your foot got jogged a bity and pressed the accelerator harder.
You really must not baby any engine like this, it needs to be getting nice and hot with occasinally loads of revs, don't be afraid to slam your foot flat on the floor through the gears, it does them no harm whatsoever, it is only when the oil gets nice and hot it burns off the oxidants within it.
Pulling to one side is normal with some FWD cars, it is called TORQUE STEER, it may just have soft engine mounts making it worse than normal.
tabetha
Old 11-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Dave Parker
Advanced PassionFord User

pinking ?
Old 11-07-2007, 04:53 PM
N1ck

Originally Posted by tabetha
Just a thought, you MAY be looking at the wrong thing.
A high pitched noise can also be caused by people who baby these cars, as it causes the second throttle plate to stick, these are VACUUM controlled, they are often sticking.
The noise happened breifly whilst going round a corner could be your foot got jogged a bity and pressed the accelerator harder.
You really must not baby any engine like this, it needs to be getting nice and hot with occasinally loads of revs, don't be afraid to slam your foot flat on the floor through the gears, it does them no harm whatsoever, it is only when the oil gets nice and hot it burns off the oxidants within it.
Pulling to one side is normal with some FWD cars, it is called TORQUE STEER, it may just have soft engine mounts making it worse than normal.
tabetha
thanks tabetha...

well if i floor it at about 2000revs the car will jolt forwards and whines as i explained before. i have no fear of giving the car enough revs, but whenecver i do it makes this noise.

im pretty sure the pedal wasnt jolted round a corner, as i usually stay at about 2000-3000 revs when cornering and its pretty difficult to make the squeeking noise when im not hammering the car. it felt like the tyres changed traction and he diff came into action, when switching power between wheels it made the same high pitched noise for a split second.

the torque steer is preeeeetty major at the moment and i think ewhatever this squueeking is then it may contribute/exaggerate it further.

but thanks for you comments anyway its very helpful

grrr drove it again today and its annoying
Old 11-07-2007, 04:56 PM
N1ck

Originally Posted by cozzie_dave1
pinking ?
most definitely not pinking...thank goodness

but still annoying
Old 08-09-2007, 09:13 AM
blk-Mk5-zs
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by tabetha
would this also cause the revs to rise without accelerating when you put your foot down? as my xr2 has a recent clutch so cant be slipping, the car had just done an 80 mile motorway trip before it started doing this, thanks