Ford Focus ST This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus ST range

Tuning Focus STs

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning Focus STs

Hi all,

I'm quite keen to get a Focus ST. Looking to pick up a low mileage 08 (ish) ST3.

I was just wondering what sort of figures people are getting out of these with a good map and just a decent exhaust and intake? I would rather have the car mapped to suit the exhaust etc I buy than just getting a generic chip.

From previous experience, a good map should improve average fuel figures a little. Also, I'd like some decent power on tap when I want it. 280 would be good, and I probably wouldn't to go much more than that, but it would be good to know what's possible and for how much.

Any advice?

Cheers,

Alan
Old 01-08-2012, 09:08 AM
bookwyse
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

A decent 3" exhaust with downpipe and sport cat coupled with a decent filter and intercooler will close on 300 with a decent map.

We are running a 2010 ST3 with only a dreamscience map on it and thats at 263 at the moment. Once its out of warranty I have a full 3" Mongoose system and Airtec intercooler to go on it, unsure of the filter yet though.

Good little cars, sound ace and handle well. The missus uses ours around the doors and averages 19 to the gallon!!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

My ST is currently running more or less exactly what you are after.

The previous owner had a Stage 2 Code Red on it only and it produced 269.5bhp on that. Since then I've added a cat-back Mongoose, Airtec Gen 3 Intercooler and CAIS and probably running now around 280ish. CAIS, cooler and exhaust set me back in total £840 plus fitting (mate's garage) and the map was probably about £400. So just over £1k would get you a solid stage 2.

IMO, you definitely need an intercooler if having a remap done, more for safety than anything else. There is no real need to have a custom map written for it although it depends where you are and who is writing it for you as I think MSD can write them for it or adapt an Evolution map if necessary. Get onto focusstoc, loads of info on there and the membership is worth it for the group buys alone I saved about £100 on retail prices combined for the intercooler and exhaust!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by bookwyse
A decent 3" exhaust with downpipe and sport cat coupled with a decent filter and intercooler will close on 300 with a decent map.

We are running a 2010 ST3 with only a dreamscience map on it and thats at 263 at the moment. Once its out of warranty I have a full 3" Mongoose system and Airtec intercooler to go on it, unsure of the filter yet though.

Good little cars, sound ace and handle well. The missus uses ours around the doors and averages 19 to the gallon!!!!
I don't use it to commute anyway... a good thing by the sounds of it. Currently have an old ST170 and that's terrible on fuel. I thought the ST would be around the same if cruising on a decent map... I could be wrong.

That sounds good. I'd definitely be happy with something in the region of 300. Not going to get much power down in the wet, but what can you do!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by pani_k
My ST is currently running more or less exactly what you are after.

The previous owner had a Stage 2 Code Red on it only and it produced 269.5bhp on that. Since then I've added a cat-back Mongoose, Airtec Gen 3 Intercooler and CAIS and probably running now around 280ish. CAIS, cooler and exhaust set me back in total £840 plus fitting (mate's garage) and the map was probably about £400. So just over £1k would get you a solid stage 2.

IMO, you definitely need an intercooler if having a remap done, more for safety than anything else. There is no real need to have a custom map written for it although it depends where you are and who is writing it for you as I think MSD can write them for it or adapt an Evolution map if necessary. Get onto focusstoc, loads of info on there and the membership is worth it for the group buys alone I saved about £100 on retail prices combined for the intercooler and exhaust!
Thanks. I would certainly be willing to spend in the region of £1k, and safety and usability is paramount, so whatever it takes.

The main reason I wanted a bespoke map is from personal experience of having my old Subaru mapped by someone who knew what they were doing (Andy Forrest). It really did run perfect. Power delivery was great... and it's possibly not all about peak bhp, if you know what I mean? My thinking is that you can have a quicker car with a lower peak bhp figure. I could be talking sh*te, but that is my understanding. That's as opposed to a rough map on a chip that maybe makes a better peak.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:19 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Completely understand where you are coming from mate as peak figures are just that and could mean nothing if the rest of the rev range makes no power. Subaru's are a different kettle of fish though as especially imports had to be mapped well for running on UK fuel. Most flash maps for ST's are generally spot on never head of any running problems with them at the end of the personal preference as to what type of map you want. Ideally you want smooth map without a massive torque spike as the clutch won't put up with it for too long.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Completely understand where you are coming from mate as peak figures are just that and could mean nothing if the rest of the rev range makes no power. Subaru's are a different kettle of fish though as especially imports had to be mapped well for running on UK fuel. Most flash maps for ST's are generally spot on never head of any running problems with them at the end of the personal preference as to what type of map you want. Ideally you want smooth map without a massive torque spike as the clutch won't put up with it for too long.
Well things move on I suppose. Chips are bound to have got better, so you're probably right. I'll need to speak to the guy who used to look after my Subaru and see what he thinks, but if a chip would be up to the job then I'll obviously not be against it.

Trending Topics

Old 01-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

The good thing about the Bosch ECU in an ST225 is it is very adaptive and will be fine with most Bluefin / Dreamscience etc maps even with varying modifications.

The standard cat back isn't the restrictive part in the system, the downpipe and std cat are, so if you want flow, just replace these. The cat back part is just for sound and style up to about 300bhp.

An intercooler is a must with any uprated map as the std one would struggle trying to keep the temps down when the turbo is pulling more boost.

As said, get yourself over to www.focusstoc.com as the advice there is top notch IMO.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Mines got full exhaust ggr cais pro alloy cooler and did 324 bhp ive now fitted a AS inlet so should have a touch more next stage new clutch and a rs focus turbo and injectors ! stu@msd can map to suite but he say's the generics he does are to notch with the adaptive ecu all fine
Old 01-08-2012, 09:56 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

What map you running Jay?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Karl @nms he recons its pretty much flat out for the mods so obviously time for more mods
Old 01-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

What map you running Jay?
thats one id like to get to the bottom of its a bit confusing as the car was mapped before i got it "ive only added the inlet" but speaking to karl and jared they remember the car well but dont remember the mapAll i know is a local lad has the same mods as mine and hes on the top generic map for the mods and mine deffo quicker
Old 01-08-2012, 10:07 AM
lewis.philcox
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im also about to get a st.

could you guys confirm or change the list im about to portray in order of mods.

Intercooler
Dreamscience
Induction kit
Decat and downpipe

Would that be the safest option? i know theres other items such as plugs etc but for the bigger more expensive items is that the best way
Old 01-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by nos burner
Im also about to get a st.

could you guys confirm or change the list im about to portray in order of mods.

Intercooler
Dreamscience
Induction kit
Decat and downpipe

Would that be the safest option? i know theres other items such as plugs etc but for the bigger more expensive items is that the best way
spot on makes a nice car but i would at least fit uprated springs the closer you get to 280 bhp !! i fitted spax rsx coilovers to mine an made a world of difference to mine
Old 01-08-2012, 10:20 AM
lewis.philcox
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Jay,
spot on makes a nice car but i would at least fit uprated springs the closer you get to 280 bhp !! i fitted spax rsx coilovers to mine an made a world of difference to mine
Excellent! i best start my mahoosive amounts of saving i have to do then!.. i think id just put eibach 30-35mm springs on?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Excellent! i best start my mahoosive amounts of saving i have to do then!.. i think id just put eibach 30-35mm springs on?
yeh there spot on a very popular mod and i must admit mine being on coilovers its tad harsh where the eibach's will probably feel a better road ride
Old 01-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

I had a panel filter decat cat, cat back exhaust, and Dreamscience map and about 275 bhp and 320 ibs. Never missed a beat.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:47 AM
lewis.philcox
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by CarlosST3
I had a panel filter decat cat, cat back exhaust, and Dreamscience map and about 275 bhp and 320 ibs. Never missed a beat.
Even without the intercooler? the plan is to get a intercooler but wouldnt be straight away if the car would be okay without it

Cheers
Old 01-08-2012, 10:49 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

+1 for Eibachs. For every day use they are a good compromise although never been in one with totally uprated shock absorbers. You can go to town and do ARBs and powerflex all round but you will be losing ride quality.

324bhp is immense for that mod list Jay, very interested to know what map it has on it for all of that. Either that or I open a can of worms and mention a word that starts with d end in o and has yn in the middle and comment on its accuracy
Old 01-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Even without the intercooler? the plan is to get a intercooler but wouldnt be straight away if the car would be okay without it

Cheers
Carl from Dreamscience said that's what it should be with those mods with no cooler.

Mine ran fine with no cooler but rarely opened her up tbh, it was on my to do list before I sold her.
The new owner has got
In contact and been chatting and he has cooler, CAIS, defuser, splitter, black headlights new fog surrounds and down pipe already ordered. Proper miss that car
Old 01-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Dal_
The good thing about the Bosch ECU in an ST225 is it is very adaptive and will be fine with most Bluefin / Dreamscience etc maps even with varying modifications.

The standard cat back isn't the restrictive part in the system, the downpipe and std cat are, so if you want flow, just replace these. The cat back part is just for sound and style up to about 300bhp.

An intercooler is a must with any uprated map as the std one would struggle trying to keep the temps down when the turbo is pulling more boost.

As said, get yourself over to www.focusstoc.com as the advice there is top notch IMO.
Cheers, I will check out that site.

Originally Posted by Jay,
Ahh, springs as well. Shh. Are they a necessity?

That sounds good to me. Should see a big difference with 275 from standard. I'm not going to worry about 10 or 20bhp here or there. I'll see what happens. Before I do anything I'll drive it hard standard and see how it feels. I don't know what sort of power an ST is capable of through the front wheels while still being a nice car to drive. Ideally I would like an RS, but I couldn't justify spending that sort of money on a car... and then I'd end up wanting 400bhp.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

+1 for Eibachs. For every day use they are a good compromise although never been in one with totally uprated shock absorbers. You can go to town and do ARBs and powerflex all round but you will be losing ride quality.

324bhp is immense for that mod list Jay, very interested to know what map it has on it for all of that. Either that or I open a can of worms and mention a word that starts with d end in o and has yn in the middle and comment on its accuracy
i really dont know LOL and im not scared the arse dyno says its300 +and you know the arse dyno rules
Old 01-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It's night and day when mapped!
If/when you get the down pipe get a new set of bolts as well to save hassle if one snaps when removing.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Alan_D

Ahh, springs as well. Shh. Are they a necessity?

i think they are as they do roll around abit with speed
Old 01-08-2012, 11:03 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

To be honest 280+ in one is quick enough. 300 is just one of those macho things in your head because it starts with "3" ...oddly enough it is tempting me to get there
Old 01-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Keep money aside for a stronger clutch. Some cope some don't so I had to put an RS one in mine.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:09 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

I always have that in the back of my head so don't drive it like a tit. I always tend to make sure revs are well above 2500rpm if accelerating hard and also I don't tend to flatten the throttle, more progressively press it down.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

To be honest 280+ in one is quick enough. 300 is just one of those macho things in your head because it starts with "3" ...oddly enough it is tempting me to get there
i totally agree i keep asking myself is the big turbo and injectors worth it

but going back to the bhp ollie recons it was 300+ so just get ur tuner to say so and there you go
Old 01-08-2012, 11:11 AM
lewis.philcox
PassionFord Regular

Keep money aside for a stronger clutch. Some cope some don't so I had to put an RS one in mine.
People say RS injectors are needed or are a very good upgrade to do?

P.S happy 4000th post

Cheers
Old 01-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The old one was like new when removed. It's still in my shed if anyone needs it.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

carlos get that tour out the way and get another
Old 01-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If I get on it mate toward house deposit. Focus RS next then I can come on here and tell people that work hard and put time and effort into your ST's that they are nothing but shit like Mad Rod
Old 01-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

People say RS injectors are needed or are a very good upgrade to do?

P.S happy 4000th post

Cheers
Not really needed but are an improvement from what others have said.

4000? Christ I need a life
Old 01-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

If I get on it mate toward house deposit. Focus RS next then I can come on here and tell people that work hard and put time and effort into your ST's that they are nothing but shit like Mad Rod
Ah just likes the wind up tbh lol !i love a rs myself maybe next year
Old 01-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Be a while for me to get one. I wanted an st for ages and have owned one so I can do it again.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:24 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan_D
Thanks. I would certainly be willing to spend in the region of £1k, and safety and usability is paramount, so whatever it takes.

The main reason I wanted a bespoke map is from personal experience of having my old Subaru mapped by someone who knew what they were doing (Andy Forrest). It really did run perfect. Power delivery was great... and it's possibly not all about peak bhp, if you know what I mean? My thinking is that you can have a quicker car with a lower peak bhp figure. I could be talking sh*te, but that is my understanding. That's as opposed to a rough map on a chip that maybe makes a better peak.
Classic mistake, but you are also thinking along the right line, not everything is about power, one of the many great things about the T5, is it's linear low end torque curve, which, as standard a hefty 320 NM (236 LB FT) peaks @ 1500 RPM and stays to 4,500 RPM , so making for an effortless drive, remember in the real world your not constantly driving around at massive revs.

Martin
Old 22-08-2012, 06:13 PM
scottyfocus
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Tuning in the ST world has moved on alot recently there are now a few running 400bhp+ and i believe Jamsports RS actually has a modified ST block running 500bhp.

For what your looking for you need an intercooler, decat and remap. Dreamsciences DSCI will run very well with them mods and you should see atleast 270bhp and over 300 torques. Second hand this lot will set you back £500-£600.

If you want to go for more power then you can get a CAIS and turbo downpipe then get a map to suit. The most common would be Dreamsciece Mod X but alot of people including myself have moved to Collins stage 2 which blows Mod X out the water. 320-330 bhp and nearly 400 torques. Very smooth delivery it just pulls and pulls all the way to the redline.

Oh and dont forget the obligatory Eibach lowering springs.
Old 24-08-2012, 05:48 PM
mikej857
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a stage 3 ST with the normal full turbo back exhaust with decat, Airtech Cooler, Open Induction and a pumabuild remap and its very very quick compared to a standard car and has to be pushing close to the magic 300bhp, I have a scooby thats 380bhp and its certainly a lot more entertaining to drive than the scooby.

I have had the uprated RS clutch even though my standard clutch was holding up to the mods its better to be safe than sorry no good have the power if the clutch wont let you use it.

Also had the Eibachs fitted and the ARB's uprated which has a dramatic effect on how the car handles.

The noise it makes its just soooo addictive and scarin the shit outta the old granny when the thing bangs between gear changes is amusing but very childish...lol
Old 10-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Tyson Lewis
Virgin

Default getting started

Im picking up a 08 ST3 and its standard and was wondering whats the first thing to do to start mods. Im quite new to this game so any comments would be helpful thanks.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:53 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Remap is the most bang for buck but I'd try do it in conjunction with an intercooler too.

Quick Reply: Tuning Focus STs