Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

Rear footwell wet on MK2 hatch 5door

Search this Thread

Old 18-01-2010, 09:39 PM
oobster
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear footwell wet on MK2 hatch 5door

Folks, Firstly - hello - this is my first post on Passionford. I wonder if anyone might offer their suggestions on what could be wrong with my 57-plate Focus Ghia. I went to clean the interior at the weekend and the rear drivers-side footwell is absolutely soaking wet. I don't really have passengers in the car, certainly not in the back, so it can't just be snow off people's shoes that is taking a while to dry in. Are the door rubbers a known weak point in Focuses? The passenger side is fine, as are both front footwells. The boot is fine too, and underneath the back seats are dry too.
Old 19-01-2010, 08:26 PM
TomStarkey
Part of the Furniture

do you have blowers under the seats? (as in air con, heater blowers)
could be sucking in water. I know mk1 focus' get wet foot wells when the pollen filter is busted, so could be similar.
Old 19-01-2010, 09:30 PM
oobster
Virgin

Possibly - i'll check tomorrow, though wouldn't both sides be wet if that was the case? It's only the drivers-side rear footwell thats wet. Someone (on another forum) said it might be the membrane underneath the door card that's letting water? Feasable?
Old 19-01-2010, 09:33 PM
bigbill
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by oobster
Possibly - i'll check tomorrow, though wouldn't both sides be wet if that was the case? It's only the drivers-side rear footwell thats wet. Someone (on another forum) said it might be the membrane underneath the door card that's letting water? Feasable?
Yep.
Old 19-01-2010, 09:35 PM
oobster
Virgin

Yep to both sides being wet or yep to the membrane being feasable? If yep to the membrane - how easy (and costly) to repair/replace?
Old 13-02-2010, 03:23 PM
oobster
Virgin

Thought i'd update this thread incase anyone ever experiences similar problems and does a search. You will see my last post above was nearly a month ago. Since then the water leak appears to have got worse. I booked it into the local Ford garage (Peoples in Falkirk) who said: a) This will probably be classed as 'trim' so won't be covered under the warranty (1yr for trim warranty apparently) so you'll need to pay. b) We'll probably need the car for a week so we can strip parts off it to trace the leak. I was a bit unhappy about both of the above, but booked it in anyway for a fortnight's time. I'm getting a courtesy car so at least that's something. In the meantime i've stripped a load of trim off the inside of the car. Both door cards were removed and I took the car (and the Mrs) to the local jetwash this morning and she sat inside will i soaked the offside of the car. Nothing can in through either the door rubbers or the door membranes, so it's not the doors thats the problem. I also remembered that I got a new windscreen fitted by Autoglass back in late August 2009. I called Autoglass this morning and they are going to contact me on Monday to go into their locla depot (in Edinburgh) and get a water test done. I don't quite now what this entails, but we'll see. Apparently in 9 out of 10 cases where a customer reports a leak that wasn't there prior to a screen replacement it's the installation of the screen thats at fault. Meanwhile I have the offside carpet up and the drivers seat out - I must have taken about 3 pints of water out the car this morning with a waffle-weave towel. Got the Mrs hairdryer in there just now drying to dry out the felt underneath the carpet, which is probably going to take all weekend. Bloody cars, nothing but trouble. It's the front AND back carpets on the drivers side that are wet. Edited because it clumps all paragraphs into one big paragraph.

Last edited by oobster; 13-02-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 14-02-2010, 02:24 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Had this on my ST, although it was getting wet in the boot. I adjusted the boot catch so it closes tighter, and also removed the rear lights and put some sealant round the two plastic bungs that the light locates into. Not had a problem since!

Also, I used to have a mk3 mondeo, that would leak through the rubber grommet that contained the wiring that went from the car to the bootlid. Water would leak through, onto the top of the headlining, run down behind the trim on the side and would soak the back seat. Took me ages to find it!

Last edited by RichieST; 14-02-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 19-02-2010, 08:17 PM
borgie
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Another place this could be leaking is the boot and then the water would run down into your rear footwell.
I asked about this and two different dealerships have told me that they can leak on the rear hinges. I dont know how but they must know its a main issue.
I was also told that this can take hours to find. Why should owners pay for a problem like this. disgusting. How can an owner expect to pay for a flaw in the prodution process.
The rear clips that the tailgate lights screw into are rubbish too. (sponge washers under clips) How this is supposed to hold back water, and its in a low recessed trough, asking water." Come this way in its easy". LOL
if enough complaints go in, then Ford would have to do something. Look how bad it looks for Toyota at the moment.

Anyone else had this issue?
May be a good thing to get a list of owners/members with the same issue.