Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

GEM wont go into learning mode.

Search this Thread

Old 13-10-2009, 10:51 AM
neilchester
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GEM wont go into learning mode.

I have done a search and cant find any info so here is my question.

I have a 56 plate Focus 1.8TDCI Titanium Estate and the fault I have is the car wont go into learning mode so I cant programme the remote key.

I took the car to Ford and they said that they couldn't get it to work so it looks like (yes a bit of a guess) it could be a faulty GEM and £500 to fix it.

I have checked (and ford)and No error codes are reported and the central locking works fine off the key but not remote.

I have tried to check the fuse box (yes thats my level ) but the box is not the same as in the handbook (my fuses start with (F) ) and the layout is completly different (4m5t-14a073-dj).

Sellers on Auction sites sell the GEM modules for about £20 but how do I find mine and surely a replacement would need to be setup.

Cheers

Neil.
Old 13-10-2009, 02:31 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Yes a new GEM will need programming to your car. If it were me, I'd take it to an auto electrician for a second opinion first, wouldn't be the first time Ford try to make the problem out to be worse than it actually is!
Old 13-10-2009, 03:33 PM
neilchester
Virgin

Hi Rich,
Ive tried to find the GEM but no luck,Ive taken out glove box and removed side panel and have taken side panel off drivers side....Any ideas.

Cheers
Neil
Old 13-10-2009, 04:35 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

I don't know where the GEM is. I'm pretty sure the ECU is behind the kick panel on the right hand side of the driver's footwell, the GEM could also be located there, i don't know.

Afraid I don't relly know too much about GEM's, so I can't really help too much!
Old 13-10-2009, 06:01 PM
MATT222
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the GEM module is built into the fuse box on the later focus. i could be wrong but i would check the 2 mutiplugs under the glovebox. these have a habit of poping out due to people kicking them whilst in the passenger seat they are part of the can network and cause all sorts of prob's
hope that helps
Matt
Old 13-10-2009, 07:06 PM
neilchester
Virgin

Hi Matt,
I will take a pic of the fuse box in the morning and post it,I will also make sure the TWO big connectors are tight in. I still cant find a fuse board diagram anywhere as the one in the hand book is different.

Cheers

Neil.
Old 18-10-2009, 07:29 PM
neilchester
Virgin

Hi Guys,
A quick update the fusebox has the Gem built in so that is why I couldnt find it......The fuse box was replaced in April this year so that would leave either a bad connection somewhere or a faulty RF reciever which is located behing the interior roof light.
I will keep digging and update the forum.

Neil

Trending Topics

Old 20-10-2009, 10:52 AM
neilchester
Virgin

YIPPEEEEEE...........

I fixed it and thanks to Matt and Rich for your superb advice.

I knew the Fusebox/Gem had already been replaced due to the date stamp so I was very scepticle of Fords comments.

As per my last post I lifted out the cabin light socket and disconected the cables,I then lifted out slightly the black RF module and sprayed it with servisol cleaner.I then attached the few connectors and put the key in the ignition,I did the 4 quick turns then pressed the close button on remote key and the car locked....I did jump lol.

I got out of the car and using remote locked and unlocked the car a few times and all was ok.I replaced the lighting socket back into the roof and as I did the car locked itself and the remote didn't work.I pulled it out then put it back in carefully making sure all wires went behind as much as I could possibly and re-tested all was OK.

I find it priceless that Ford with all there "trained" cowboys could not find such a simple problem and I will be sending a complaining letter to Ford not that they will give a cr*p.

Once again guys thanks for your help and now onto my next project with this car a noisey gearbox.......

Neil