Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

rocker cover oil leak and ford dealer

Search this Thread

Old 28-08-2009, 05:30 PM
ethanrob
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rocker cover oil leak and ford dealer

hi guys

new to the forum.just purchased a slightly un-loved FRS to return to its once former glory

Anyway,the car has gone into the dealer to diagnose some of the minor issues,firstly the rocker cover seems to be leaking oil,not sure exactly where as the engine is filthy and covered in grime/oil etc

however,the dealer has just left me a message on my voicemail informing me that"the leak is from the rocker cover,they will need to replace the gasket and will have to remove my "GEARBOX"

i am no technical genius,but reading threads on here and the RSOC i was under the impression that the gasket replace was a simple 10 bolts out of cover,remove ht leads and lift rocker cover

Now is this main dealer trying to have my pants down

the other problems with the car are a funny smell when the engine is hot,which im assuming is burnt oil from the leak ??????

i also have a knocking front drivers side when driving over uneven road surface(tie rods/shocker/top mounts ?????)

and lastly the brake pedal is a little spongey when drving the car,the discs and pads have loads of life in them,could they just need bleeding,or is there a known fault with the FRS servo/pipes ???

all advice is much appriciated

regards marcus
Old 28-08-2009, 07:57 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

As for the leak, they are pulling your leg. Get a new gasket and do it yourself, its as easy as you say it is.

As for the knock, quite probably anti roll bar links, they are very easy to change and cost around £20 for a pair off ebay, little more from ford.

Spongy brakes? Perhaps try bleeding them, could be a bit of air in there somewhere?
Old 28-08-2009, 10:06 PM
maccas1985
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Firstly welcome to the forum.
The rocker cover gasket is so easy to fit i think a child could do it!!!

Honestly it really is that easy.

The brakes do sound like they may need bleeding, could also try new pads mayb, if your saying the discs have loads of life left in them.

The burning smell is probably oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold, especially if the rocker cover gasket has been leaking.

Hope some of this helps

Cheers Macca
Old 29-08-2009, 08:53 AM
ethanrob
Virgin

thanks for the welcome and replie's guys

recieved another call from the dealer,and he informs me that the reason of removing the gearbox is that on road test,the techy could hear a slight whiring from it when in motion...............

but they have had the car since thursday am,and all they have done is tell me what i already knew,and still not resolved what i wanted them to diagnose(knocking from drivers front and spongey brake pedal)

main dealers really are a bunch of bandits

anyway im off to recover the FRS and get to work on the gasket/droplinks/brake bleeding myself

marcus
Old 29-08-2009, 02:52 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be tempted to bleed all the way till you get NEW fresh fluid through, the other probs are as said and easy to do.
Personally if I had a suspect box the last place I would take it is ford, if unsure take to a trans builder.
tabetha