Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

difference between focus rs mk1 and mk2

Search this Thread

Old 25-07-2009, 12:47 AM
therebelsc
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up difference between focus rs mk1 and mk2

can anyone give me details and tell what the changes were?thanks.
Old 25-07-2009, 12:57 AM
Dan1281
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

mk1

mk2

completely different in every way mate
Old 25-07-2009, 01:47 AM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

engine, bodyshell, interior ,front suspension setup, wheels, exhaust, dash and about 100bhp plus many more mods i cant be bothered listing as ive had 5 too many to drink!!!lol!!
Old 25-07-2009, 04:21 AM
testastretta999
Part of the Furniture

Default diffferences

roughly 17k
Old 25-07-2009, 09:28 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

There won't be one single part common between the two.
Old 25-07-2009, 09:58 AM
focusjohn
St.

Originally Posted by focusv8
There won't be one single part common between the two.
There will be something silly thats the same.
Old 25-07-2009, 01:09 PM
therebelsc
BANNED
BANNED

sorry thats not what i ment mabye ive heard wrong but is there not a faze 1 and faze 2 of the mk1 focus rs?
Old 25-07-2009, 04:51 PM
R5AAL
Part of the Furniture

There is no such thing as a phase1 or phase 2 model mk1 focus rs
Some cars had factory recalls, and were fitted with pink throttle grommit, double stitched seats and an engine start sticker.
That is all, but some early cars have these things and some later cars don't.
Again there is only one mk1 focus RS
NO PHASE 1 or PHASE 2
Old 25-07-2009, 05:21 PM
therebelsc
BANNED
BANNED

Wink

Originally Posted by R5AAL
There is no such thing as a phase1 or phase 2 model mk1 focus rs
Some cars had factory recalls, and were fitted with pink throttle grommit, double stitched seats and an engine start sticker.
That is all, but some early cars have these things and some later cars don't.
Again there is only one mk1 focus RS
NO PHASE 1 or PHASE 2
cheers for that.

Last edited by therebelsc; 25-07-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 25-07-2009, 10:05 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by focusjohn
There will be something silly thats the same.
Ah.

Brake fluid..

Old 26-07-2009, 06:39 AM
XR2
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Focus 1 had a facelift when technical issues and some minor parts on the front (moved indicators from front bumper into headlights...) were changed, the Focus 1 RS was launched when Ford already sold the facelift model, but the RS still had the non-facelift-look...
Old 02-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Greene G3
Virgin

so what is the difference in a ford focus 99 to 01 and 02 to 04 ?

is it only the front bumper and head light?

the wings are the same are they ?
what about the front panel ,or the chassie crossmember ?

cheers
Old 03-11-2009, 07:29 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Different front light clusters with indicators integrated, Different Grille, Black strip across back bumper, Interior changes. Wings I'm sure would be the same, as would be the cross member, These are the main differences.

Martin
Old 27-05-2011, 10:51 PM
EricRS
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

According to this RS buyers guide there is a phase 1 and 2 focus RS mk1.

http://www.strikeengine.com/ford_foc...ing_guide.html

They write:

However there are two phases of Focus RS the "Phase 2" cars had additional stitching at the base of the front seats to prevent them sagging (this can be added retrospectively by a Ford Dealer) a pink grommet on the throttle cable (which reduces vibration), engine start written around the starter button and the removal of the dimmer on the clock.

More importantly the Phase 2 cars came with an updated dated engine map. The first map being called AE, the more recent, AF. The new map improved fuel economy, drivability and starting. Ford dealers are able to upgrade the early cars to the more recent map but we don't know of the costs involved. When buying a Ford Focus RS be sure that you ask the seller if this map upgrade has been carried out.

Ford states that the "minimum" power output of the 2 litre power unit to be at least 212bhp with some owners finding outputs to be as much as 230bhp.

Last edited by EricRS; 27-05-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 27-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by EricRS
According to this RS buyers guide the is a phase 1 and 2 focus RS mk1.

http://www.strikeengine.com/ford_foc...ing_guide.html

They write:

However there are two phases of Focus RS the "Phase 2" cars had additional stitching at the base of the front seats to prevent them sagging (this can be added retrospectively by a Ford Dealer) a pink grommet on the throttle cable (which reduces vibration), engine start written around the starter button and the removal of the dimmer on the clock.

More importantly the Phase 2 cars came with an updated dated engine map. The first map being called AE, the more recent, AF. The new map improved fuel economy, drivability and starting. Ford dealers are able to upgrade the early cars to the more recent map but we don't know of the costs involved. When buying a Ford Focus RS be sure that you ask the seller if this map upgrade has been carried out.

Ford states that the "minimum" power output of the 2 litre power unit to be at least 212bhp with some owners finding outputs to be as much as 230bhp.

I will tell you now...As ive owened both from brand new....What people call "phase 2" was only a recall.
Old 27-05-2011, 11:03 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would they have stuck 'engine start' on the button and removed the clock dimmer in a recall? :S
Old 27-05-2011, 11:13 PM
EricRS

Originally Posted by rsmat
.As ive owened both from brand new.
You owened both phase 1 and 2 from new. Or did you buy two phase 1's and have one of them recalled.

All the buyers guides which I've read mention a phase 1 and phase 2 and for the same reasons.

Not saying your wrong but they even quote comments made by ford themselves ref the two phases and the difference between them.

Anyway I used their info to buy my RS there today and have by what they are saying a phase 2.

So wheather the phase 2 was created by ford as an upgrade to the phase 1 or a factory recall the fact remains that there are now two different example on the second hand market. Those that in your eyes have been recalled (the phase 2) and those that haven't (the phase 1) and thats going by the info that you've given.

Last edited by EricRS; 27-05-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 27-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Rsmat
300+

I mean ive owned both mk1 and mk2 FRS from brand new...ford recalled them because the seats was failing and the throttle had a vibration so they updated..I still have the recall letters from ford some where.

Last edited by Rsmat; 27-05-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 27-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Rsmat
300+

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
Why would they have stuck 'engine start' on the button and removed the clock dimmer in a recall? :S

You tell me...I just drove a brand new car back for upgrades...
Old 28-05-2011, 06:41 AM
EricRS

"I mean ive owned both mk1 and mk2 FRS from brand new"

Ah that makes more sence. Dam red wine. lol

Is it possable that Ford recalled the earlier numbers (your car) after the seat and throttle issue became apparent and sorted it out on the remaining unsold RS cars as they built them hence what they call the phase 2.
Old 28-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Rsmat
300+

"I mean ive owned both mk1 and mk2 FRS from brand new"

Ah that makes more sence. Dam red wine. lol

Is it possable that Ford recalled the earlier numbers (your car) after the seat and throttle issue became apparent and sorted it out on the remaining unsold RS cars as they built them hence what they call the phase 2.
As far as I'm aware they didn't as not every car suffered problems.
Old 28-05-2011, 09:57 AM
hogdog
Regular Contributor

There are numerous upgrades but they were not brought in in 'phases', they occurred at different times for different reasons, some were recalls and some were'nt. Some cars have one or more, some have all of them and some have none.

THERE IS NO PHASE 1 OR 2!
Old 28-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Rsmat
300+

Originally Posted by hogdog
There are numerous upgrades but they were not brought in in 'phases', they occurred at different times for different reasons, some were recalls and some were'nt. Some cars have one or more, some have all of them and some have none.

THERE IS NO PHASE 1 OR 2!
Correct....
Old 28-05-2011, 02:15 PM
wibbler
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

One or two minor things were retro-fitted to the older Mk1 cars but the major changes were all introduced to production at around the same time; as with any model there is a date when the revisions are introduced all together as it is easier to do it this way rather than drip feeding them one at a time.

So cars with all the changes on from the factory could well be considered a different phase of production.

There are changes other than the visible one though, for example the dampers were revised, from memory with larger diameter rods to make them more robust? Final cars were on Rev. D dampers from what I remember.

You can track the changes through the parts catalogue if you want as this shows the different revisions on the parts and the dates they were introduced.

I like to think I have some familiarity with what was done (even if it was a few years back) having had access to a few of the Mk1 cars, including driving #0001 when it was still fresh and having bought one of the last couple of cars built with everything at the final revisions.
Old 31-05-2011, 04:13 PM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

think the RS badge looks the same. apart from that, not a lot!
Old 31-05-2011, 05:07 PM
THEDMAN
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

There is no such thing as Phase 1 or Phase 2.

Not one single car left the factory with stitched seat bases, they were all dealer replacements if you shouted enough through Ford Customer services.

As the run came to it's end and ford was losing more and more money on them, the reat seat brace covers were left out, dashboard light dimmers left out, amongst many other things!
Old 31-05-2011, 05:39 PM
wibbler

There is no such thing as Phase 1 or Phase 2.

Not one single car left the factory with stitched seat bases, they were all dealer replacements if you shouted enough through Ford Customer services.

As the run came to it's end and ford was losing more and more money on them, the reat seat brace covers were left out, dashboard light dimmers left out, amongst many other things!
Purest bollocks - there were production changes in the 2 years or so they were being built with most of the obvious 'customer concern' fixes introduced simultaneously giving a very clear before & after break; the different seats were fitted from the factory on newer cars and the seat base a retrofit on the older ones in a few cases, and there wasn't 'more and more money being lost' causing production changes - different things were done for different reasons but the pennies saved in swapping a few parts over (like dimmer/non-dimmer controls) would have been eaten just buy the production change documentation.

It's only 7 or 8 years since the cars were being built & bought new and all these stories about things like the seats have sprung up already...
Old 02-06-2011, 06:17 PM
thielt1
Regular Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pee vee
think the RS badge looks the same. apart from that, not a lot!
not even the badges were the same
Old 08-06-2011, 08:20 PM
frs3150

You could have all the so called phase 2 mods done for a few hundred quid, and you don't want AF as it has a misfire about 4k that becomes apparent when you start modding where as AE is fine, as for better fuel consumption and cold start I very much doubt you will see a noticeable difference.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:53 PM
adsrs1
Regular Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

theres no such thing as a phase one or two as said above they were just revisions to the car like some cars have an all black bonnet stay and other cars have a half yellow and black bonnet stay
Old 08-06-2011, 08:54 PM
EricRS

Originally Posted by frs3150
You could have all the so called phase 2 mods done for a few hundred quid, and you don't want AF as it has a misfire about 4k that becomes apparent when you start modding where as AE is fine, as for better fuel consumption and cold start I very much doubt you will see a noticeable difference.
I've a decat and full stainless on mine and a front mount with blue fine super chip and it missfires at around 4K revs if I ease off all right. So I take it mine is AF is there anyway of stopping it from doing it.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:20 PM
frs3150

I've a decat and full stainless on mine and a front mount with blue fine super chip and it missfires at around 4K revs if I ease off all right. So I take it mine is AF is there anyway of stopping it from doing it.
I would assume it does then as long as the rest of the engine is running OK leads, plugs, coil pack etc? superchips are meant to have developed a new map that eliminates the 4k cough when running AF, I'm not 100% sure but I think the upgrade was free if you are the original owner of the unit? I could be talking crap though! worth an email though I reckon.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:43 PM
EricRS

I would assume it does then as long as the rest of the engine is running OK leads, plugs, coil pack etc? superchips are meant to have developed a new map that eliminates the 4k cough when running AF, I'm not 100% sure but I think the upgrade was free if you are the original owner of the unit? I could be talking crap though! worth an email though I reckon.
I'll look into it but have been told its caused by the bump valve I have fitted. It's over fueling because of it. So hopefully it'll all be sorted by changing back to the old Recirculating valve.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:09 AM
frs3150

I'll look into it but have been told its caused by the bump valve I have fitted. It's over fueling because of it. So hopefully it'll all be sorted by changing back to the old Recirculating valve.
If your the first owner of the bluefin unit you can check what map is loaded onto the car, I cant remember how to do it tbh but if you have a search on rsoc under minimadgriff I think he posted a "how to" on it years ago.
Old 16-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Zetecfiesta
PassionFord Post Whore!!

my car came with pink throttle, sticker on start button, dashboard dimmer, stitch seats but different bonnet stay and no covers on the rear seat hinges so as other people have said its very varied what Ford actually fitted to the cars and when, also the numbers do not go up in chronological order.
Old 18-06-2011, 08:38 AM
EricRS

If your the first owner of the bluefin unit you can check what map is loaded onto the car, I cant remember how to do it tbh but if you have a search on rsoc under minimadgriff I think he posted a "how to" on it years ago.
Thanks for that. I'll have a look now.
Old 23-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Doncarlyon

Mines a phase 1.97
Old 12-07-2011, 06:15 PM
rs_traynor
stage4 2wd cosworth

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by therebelsc
can anyone give me details and tell what the changes were?thanks.
are you for real?

people that dont have a clue about cars shouldnt be on here
Old 12-07-2011, 11:28 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rs_traynor
are you for real?

people that dont have a clue about cars shouldnt be on here
I take it you have failed to read the rest of the replys...