Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

2004 1.8TDCI Focus White Smoke on Startup

Search this Thread

Old 26-02-2016, 04:46 PM
me81pb
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 1.8TDCI Focus White Smoke on Startup

Hi,

Looking for some help please. I bought a 2004 1.8TDCI Focus 115, about 10 months ago, now on 74,000 and since the colder weather started i've had problems, first thing in the morning, White smoke on startup and a stench of unburnt deisel for about 1 mile up the road. Tickover from cold is a bit lumpy too. Infact it takes 4 attempts with a bit of throttle to get it to run. If I just stay in the yard, the smoke just keeps coming until it warms up

So far I've done the following to no avail...

Checked compression - 360-420 across all 4 cylinders,
Replaced Head gasket and had valves lapped in whist head was off.
Replaced four injectors and programmed them (three from Ford and one from All parts. Leak off test on old ones showed they weren't leaking, before they were removed, but I was concerned they were "blobbing")
Replaced the Cam Sensor, (Original Black), with a new grey one from Ford, and also new wiring harness. - NB please see note on this below
Replaced Crank sensor from donor vehicle (although ford one on order)
New Ford EGR valve (Vacuum controlled)
New Hella MAF
New glow Plugs, and tested relay (Keeps power to them for about 15 secs, despite glow plug light blinking on rapidly)

Note on the new CPS wiring harness, part # 1376175, (from memory) had one different coloured wire (the New one is mainly Yellow), but I have connected it to the original third wire, and when I put a test on it, it reads 5V. The other two connections match with the original colours and have 12V and 0V.

I've read somewhere that Ford Put out a Technical Bulletin to do with low Voltages to the CPS on early Focuses and Mondeos, but I'm concerned ill just "cook" my new CPS or PCM if I put, 12V on the cable which reads 5v

Within the last 1000 miles, the turbo went, so i've had that refurbished by Midland Turbos.

When it runs, it runs well.

I've just cheked fuel rail pressure. At Idle, its about 4000PSI, and at about 2000 RPM, 10000PSI.

When I first had it, I fitted a new solid fly wheel and also starter motor.

I really don't want to be beaten by it,

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Phil