Ford Focus (All Models) This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Range that doesnt belong in the seperate ST & RS sections..

mk1 focus mystery no power under load/forward gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:10 PM
JCisJD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mk1 focus mystery no power under load/forward gears

Bit of a mystery with a recently bought mk1 03 Focus 1600

After low fuel light came on I parked it up and on restarting it had no power in forward gears then wouldn't start at all so put a can of petrol in gauge read just under a quarter full .

RAC diagnosed it to be coil but after cleaning plugs and a little fiddle with the cam sensor lead it started and ticked over fine on 800 revs though temp gauge came up to half pretty quick (after 4 mins)

though started still total loss of power when in gear / pull away, though fine in reverse.

RAC "richard" (lovely bloke) put a new coil on to try that and no joy so put old one back on. ended up towing.

He did say pos ECT sensor but also said that the whole thing seemed "very strange" as diagnostics was saying coil

started 1ST time this morning but seemed to have a lot of "condensation" (thoughts went to head gasket) coming out of exhaust. so checked water level and clour and everything seemed fine

any answers would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-10-2012, 12:17 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That's really odd!!!
Not sure what to suggest,so it simply won't drive in forward gears?
Is it an auto?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:24 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Maybe something like the VSS if it seems fine going backwards? Have you really tried booting it backwards to see if it totally fine when reversing?

Also you mention it was low on fuel so I would think about looking at changing the fuel filter (relatively cheap about £12 for Ford although since I last bought one might be about £32 now lol). Blocked cat would also caused above issues if running lean but strange as to why it won't do it when reversing...

Does it rev clean when in neutral?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:27 PM
JCisJD

YEP.......... You try to pull away and even giving it loads of revs it just dies tryed it in 1st and second and even down hill in just stalls but fllies backwards no probs. I recognise reverse is a lower gear so less load but most mysterious. RAC Richard gave it 2 and half hours of his time and was left a little gutted he hadnt managed to at least work out what the prob was

shame as first go in a focus and was loving it (have only had it 2 days)
Old 05-10-2012, 12:32 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Can't be anything too serious then.
There's a plug on top of the gearbox that houses the vehicle speed sensor as pani described,maybe worth unplugging that first and trying it again.
Honestly is the weirdest fault I've heard in sometime!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:33 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pani_k
Maybe something like the VSS if it seems fine going backwards? Have you really tried booting it backwards to see if it totally fine when reversing?

Also you mention it was low on fuel so I would think about looking at changing the fuel filter (relatively cheap about £12 for Ford although since I last bought one might be about £32 now lol). Blocked cat would also caused above issues if running lean but strange as to why it won't do it when reversing...

Does it rev clean when in neutral?
I second the blocked fuel filter personally although that doesn't andwer why diagnostics pointed to coil. Its worth checking the plugs are in good nick and set to the right gaps, colour will also indicate if its running rich etc. If the car is more than 10 years old and on original leads it would be worth changing them too as they will be passed their best.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:34 PM
JCisJD

THANKS FOR THAT

have not given it a really good blast in reverse/ not much space but i get the feeling it might die if i give it too much but will go out now and try on hand brake to see if wheels start to spin

Yeah i thought also about fuel filter as it had been standing before i bought it as well as i was low on fuel (got a £20 quote).

interesting you mentioned the CAT as there seems to be a relatively new sensor on the exhauste near the cat on up pipe to engine Richard Googbloke (RAC) SAID THIS WAS SUSPICIOUS AS MIGHT HAVE HAD A PROB THEY MIGHT NOT HAVE FOUND
Old 05-10-2012, 12:43 PM
JCisJD

Originally Posted by phil_focus
I second the blocked fuel filter personally although that doesn't andwer why diagnostics pointed to coil. Its worth checking the plugs are in good nick and set to the right gaps, colour will also indicate if its running rich etc. If the car is more than 10 years old and on original leads it would be worth changing them too as they will be passed their best.
CHEERS FOR THAT

RAC Richard stuck new leads and coil and no joy he also took plugs out and said they looked fine / a good make and newish (car has full service history on 160,000 miles)

what do you think on directing me to the ECT sensor I think he was scratching his head on the temp gauge coming up to half so quick. (was wondering if there was more than one fault going on)

would this sensor effect the power to a big degree
Old 05-10-2012, 12:45 PM
JCisJD

Originally Posted by JCisJD
CHEERS FOR THAT

RAC Richard stuck new leads and coil and no joy he also took plugs out and said they looked fine / a good make and newish (car has full service history on 160,000 miles)

what do you think on directing me to the ECT sensor I think he was scratching his head on the temp gauge coming up to half so quick. (was wondering if there was more than one fault going on)

would this sensor effect the power to a big degree
would i get it reving as good as it does on a blocked fuel filter?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:53 PM
JCisJD

Originally Posted by vaughant
That's really odd!!!
Not sure what to suggest,so it simply won't drive in forward gears?
Is it an auto?
manual and all gears seem very posative infact when i bought it the gearbox was a real positive, i really like the feel of it though the bight on the clutch is quite a way up i prefer in on the floor me self, slight race bearing noise but nothing drastic and no shuder when it was working so it seems a power issue though this SPEED SENSOR seems interesting no idea it had one of those in fact the whole car seems covered in them (03 IS A NEW CAR FOR ME )..........THE NEW FORD SENSOR
Old 05-10-2012, 12:56 PM
JCisJD

Originally Posted by vaughant
Can't be anything too serious then.
There's a plug on top of the gearbox that houses the vehicle speed sensor as pani described,maybe worth unplugging that first and trying it again.
Honestly is the weirdest fault I've heard in sometime!!!
CHEERS WILL DO ...off out in the rain now REALLY WANT TO GET IT GOING AS SO IMPRESSED WITH IT, FOR 2 DAYS AT LEAST ............got me enjoying Ford again!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:59 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ECT shouldn't limit the power at all unless things are wrong and it goes into limp home mode. I wonder if this is the case?

I parcially blocked fuel filter can leave the engine revving fine under no load but restrict fuel flow enough to cause power loss and stalling under load. Depends how bad it is but that would be the next thing to replace and at 160,000 if its still on the original filter then it definately NEEDS replacing!
Old 05-10-2012, 01:00 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Blocked cat or blocked fuel filter show similar kind of symptoms. As said fuel filter is relatively cheap to change over but cat you can test by getting it up in the air and using an IR temp gun to check the temperature its getting up to. If you can't do that, check to see how well the exhaust is blowing whilst someone revs it.

If it revs lethargically or has a flat spot then it is definitely something like fuel filter or possible lambdas and/or cat needs looking at. Temperature probe shouldn't have much to do with the issues you are describing.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:03 PM
JCisJD

CHEERS FOR THAT ok will replace filter and go from there (tick down the list and not to expensive) will post if it works, cheers again!

ahhhhhh limp home mode......... what if i disconnect batt / try resetting . have not done that yet though would RAC have done that on their lap top
Old 05-10-2012, 01:12 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Disconnecting the battery won't hurt and will make the ECU re-learn next time it is connected although if it is an underlying problem it won't make any difference. Be sure to have the radio code though!
Old 05-10-2012, 01:18 PM
JCisJD

Exhaust is blowing quite white when cold but have been told most likely condensation as pressure over oil cap and colour of water not hinting at head gasket.

Seems to be revving fine , very smooth in fact and a very quite engine to what im use to even after 160,000

oh have noticed very small whole in exhaust between back boxes other than that exhaust seems fine infact where the cat is it looks new (maybe privious had problems and tried replacing cat) ummmmmmmmmmm the more i look the more the mind wonders WHATS THE STORY ?
Old 05-10-2012, 01:23 PM
JCisJD

CHEERS, yep got the code

ah yes it might have gone on to limp mode but what caused it to do that ? would blocked fuel flow have caused it to go into limp

reading back through seems like fuel filter is the place to go, and go from there
Old 05-10-2012, 01:27 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

My ST had a similar problem, lost power through the rev range although it ticked over just fine with no sign of a mis-fire. My diagnostics sofware came up with MAP sensor, put a new one in and all was good again. I'm pretty sure yours will have this MAP sensor rather than a MAF that the earlier ones had. Could be worth looking at.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:31 PM
JCisJD

THANKS FOR THAT RICHIE ........Will check that and change fuel filter, no harm changing the filter as it does look to be its original
Old 05-10-2012, 02:11 PM
IANS2RST
PassionFord Post Troll

check the breather hose that runs from the block breather under exhaust manifold around the back of the engine onto inlet manifold - very prone to perishing or just falling off causing an air leak and leading to symtoms you describe. also when it happens it throws up the code for the lambda sensor whick may explain why yours looks new
Old 05-10-2012, 02:17 PM
JCisJD

Originally Posted by IANS2RST
check the breather hose that runs from the block breather under exhaust manifold around the back of the engine onto inlet manifold - very prone to perishing or just falling off causing an air leak and leading to symtoms you describe. also when it happens it throws up the code for the lambda sensor whick may explain why yours looks new
ah ok ....im currently trying to find the MAP sensor which on some you tube vids has on the bulk head i can see the screw holes but nothing there ANY IDEAS ?
Old 05-10-2012, 04:22 PM
JCisJD

OK seems like air is getting in judging by the exhaust or something is messing with the mix. Also starts popping when reverse is pushed.

Have just got fuel filter though so will stick that on regardless .

Have got a £85 quote for MAP sensor so off down breakers tomorrow for that (yes its a budget job) STILL CAN NOT LOCATE THOUGH any ideas?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:36 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Should be plugged into the inlet manifold somewhere I would've thought or somewhere in the induction pipework? This is all near the front of the engine as the sigma engines have the inlet at the front.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:39 PM
JCisJD

ok still a no go after changing filter not that bad to change in the end)

STILL CAN NOT FIND THE MAP SENSOR THOUGH ..........CAN NOT FIND ANYTHING ON NET THAT DIRECTS ME TO IT
Old 06-10-2012, 02:09 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Yours might be a model that doesn't have it, not all of them did. Some had a MAP some had a MAF I believe.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:24 PM
JCisJD

CHEERS
Old 06-10-2012, 03:18 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Just a thought that might be worth trying.

Stick a lot more fuel in it before spending too much on faults. Had similar years ago on the vauxhalls, if you ran them out of fuel they'd not run right if you just stuck a can in, even though you'd have been ok running them about with that much in. Most tanks have a baffled area where the sock on the pump sits and you need to get a decent amount in.

Might just be that as you go forward e fuel is moving away from the pump (if it's at the front) and if you go backwards the fuel feeds the pump easier.

Might be worht a shot. We used to have to a third of a tank back in the old vauxhalls if they ran out.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:50 PM
JCisJD

CHEERS FOR THAT JAMES

Will give it a go

I did notice that not a great deal of fuel came out when i changed the filter not sure if that ties into what you suggest

Starting to feel a little pessimistic now as have just noticed the top fixing on radiator is missing (radiator moves quite away back on bottom fixings only) which is pulling me back to head gasket as it might have started overheating for previous owners) Shame if I have to scrap it as I was thinking this is such an improvement on my last car MK3 GOLF (which i still have)

Though there is a nice set of alloys on the focus which i should get something for I guess
Old 08-10-2012, 07:42 PM
JCisJD

Have finally located the map sensor YES

stuck to the side of the inlet manifold behind the alternator.

Whist getting alternator off noticed a coroded central pin which has now broken off has made me wonder if enough elec was getting to the spark plugs but anyways the map sensor was rank so cleaned off and will try tommorrow if no joy with that will try a new one but now need an alternator connection which prob means a whole alternator but hay ho now feel like im getting somewhere
Old 27-12-2012, 02:50 PM
JCisJD

just discovered the batt is a 20ah seems small and has cittron on the side........would this effect driving under load?
Old 27-12-2012, 06:25 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

the battery needs to be a silver calcium one as the focus has smart charge which will kill a normal battery in no time. I doubt it will be causing your fault but worth getting the right one put on!