Ford Focus (All Models) This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Range that doesnt belong in the seperate ST & RS sections..

Focus 1.6 Zetec - Engine Noise on startup

Search this Thread

Old 28-05-2012, 05:03 PM
afx79
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus 1.6 Zetec - Engine Noise on startup

Hi everyone, im new to this kind of forum and have no major mechanical (especially cars) back round so would appreciated any wisdom on my car issue.

A few weeks ago i purchased a second hand ford focus 1.6 zetec with 55,000 on the clock and overall good working condition. After i had purchased the car i took it out for a long drive of which when i drove through a multi-storey i noticed the engine was making some serious engine noise.

So bad that when my girlfriend got out of the car she commented 'i didnt know it was a diesel'!!!!!!!

So the same day i took it back to the dealer i brought it from and insisted that they get the car sorted of which they allowed me to get repaired at a ford main dealer because i went there for technical advice before i took the car back.

Almost two weeks on i received the car back and the diagnosed problem was that the oil pressure was too low on idle (0.5 bar when it should be 1 bar) and the fault was traced back to a faulty oil pump. I assume that this wasnt providing enough oil to the hydraulic valves making a very dry mechanical noise from the engine (aka diesel like). As soon as i picked up the car from the garage and took it for a run i got a engine warning light of which i turned right back to get diagnosed. The supervisor said he ran the car diagnostics and the error code was reporting an issue with the vvt sensor of which he said that because the vvt has been use to such a low oil pressure they basically need to re-adjust themselves to what is now the normal oil pressure of the engine. I took this as a valid reason and carried on happily thinking the car is okay and just a matter of miles before the vvt sorted itself out!!!!!

All well and good until i started it a few times since and the engine has made a clattering noise which is only a very short burst before it sounds normal again (duratec apparently quite noisy engines anyway).

Again i contacted the main dealer and the supervisor gave me the same reason that the vvt is still re-adjusting. Now is this some old spiel to give a non car technical person a very technical reason? He said to run it for a week and keep an ear on when it happens and how often?

Any help will be appreciated.