Ford Focus (All Models) This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Range that doesnt belong in the seperate ST & RS sections..

Have i just killed someones car ?

Search this Thread

Old 21-03-2012, 05:32 PM
rhysd1309
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have i just killed someones car ?

Hello, sorry first post is a question, i did have an account a few years ago when i had my foci.

Anyway, i thought changing a speed sensor on an old focus bould be a doddle. Well, firstly the pin wouldn't come out. After alot of agony it finally came out, but when trying to pull the sensor it snapped in half and it is about 3mm inside the housing. So i tried to drill a hole and put a screw a hook into the sensor to yank it out, still didn't work and when i unscrewed it gearbox fluid has started to spew out of the hole i had drilled,

....help
Old 21-03-2012, 05:43 PM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thread the hole and bolt it with a copper washer in there too, not too long a bolt!!

thats if its into ali

i dont really know otherwisw as theres no pics or real description of whats fucked
Old 21-03-2012, 06:17 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Run.
Abroad.
Anywhere they won't find you.
Old 21-03-2012, 07:32 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Unless you can extract it then it's gearbox out time. You could try applying heat to the surrounding area to try and shift it. Or just punch it through and hope it sits at the bottom of the gearbox for the rest of it's life, like I did with an astra once

Last edited by RichieST; 21-03-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 21-03-2012, 07:37 PM
SaphCos4x4_Dan
loves a good ham shank

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieST
Unless you can extract it then it's gearbox out time. You could try applying heat to the surrounding area to try and shift it. Or just punch it through and hope it sits at the bottom of the gearbox for the rest of it's life, like I did with an astra once
oh dear god
Old 21-03-2012, 07:41 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by SaphCos4x4_Dan
oh dear god
Would you go to the effort of stripping the gearbox out of an old astra that's worth about Ł100? Bearing in mind I drove it fine after for about 8 months until the MOT ran out then I just gave the thing to a mate, which is still sat at the bottom of his dad's field nearly 10 years on
Old 21-03-2012, 07:48 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 117 Likes on 110 Posts

I don't understand where the oil is coming from unless you've drilled through the casing somehow?

They're fuckers when they get stuck in the box, I have used a big screw in a dent-puller type slide hammer to get them out.

Trending Topics

Old 21-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Greasenuts
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

if the hole is straight through whats left of the sensor, then perhaps the box is overfilled with oil.... and so maybe nothing to worry about. just needs to be drained and filled to the correct level!
Old 21-03-2012, 09:46 PM
rhysd1309
Virgin

Originally Posted by Greasenuts
if the hole is straight through whats left of the sensor, then perhaps the box is overfilled with oil.... and so maybe nothing to worry about. just needs to be drained and filled to the correct level!
Cheers for the replies! Well, thats what im hoping to be fair, eventually i decided to try and shatter the sensor and recover as much as i could. Didn't really go to plan as most on it fell into the box. However, with the sensor out its still p**sing oil everywhere, i take it the sensor isnt sealed away from the fluid, as when i stuck my finger in the hole (trying to be careful how this comes across) to try and get some of the debris out, i could feel fluid, and whenever i jacked he car up, it leaked even more, fast!

So know the sensor is somewhere in the box, i started her up with the wheels off the ground and stuck it in gear, heard abit of a noise (like putting something plastic in a blender) but then it stopped.

I mean its a T reg focus, so isnt the end of the world, sorry if ive offended anyone, so i hope whats left of the sensor just stays out of the way.

Anyway, where is the drain plug and top up bolt on these, it got dark by the time i'd finished mangleing everything up.