Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

protein usage!

Search this Thread

Old 13-09-2011, 06:30 PM
oakey dokey
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face protein usage!

now im a little confused! do i take high carb before training and then after? or high before and normal protein after? and whats the best for my day off (rest day) high carbs or normal? thanks oakey
Old 13-09-2011, 08:27 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

there's still a big debate as to the effectiveness of carbs and poteien before and after training. Years ago protein wasnt a big thing. It was all about the carbs. Now its all about the protein. Personally my goal is to bulk and build so i have protein and carbs 2 hours before i train then i have my dinner within ten mins of training which is again protein and carbs. Eg rice and meat or pasta and meat.
In regard to your rest day, if your strict on your diet monday to sat then u can eat what u want on that one day, unless your training for a show. What are your goals from training as that effects your diet matey
Old 13-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Pre Workout - I take 200mg of caffeine in tablet form along with alot of water. You ideally want low GI carbs, so slow releasing stuff like oats, apples, rice etc... Obv want 40g or more of protein so chicken, fish, eggs or whey protein.

Post Workout - When lifting, you deplete the bodys glycogen stores so you want some fast acting carbs (high GI) in the form of simple sugars to replenish the glycogen in the muscle tissue. I use maltodextrin which is a powdered carb, buy it online, just because i can easily bang it in the shake with my protein. Ive heard of people using haribo, mars bars, syrup, honey etc too, only time of the day its good to get that stuff in you really!

So protein and simple carbs after lifting.

Last edited by Coldo; 13-09-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 14-09-2011, 03:47 PM
oakey dokey
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by lukeytheduke
there's still a big debate as to the effectiveness of carbs and poteien before and after training. Years ago protein wasnt a big thing. It was all about the carbs. Now its all about the protein. Personally my goal is to bulk and build so i have protein and carbs 2 hours before i train then i have my dinner within ten mins of training which is again protein and carbs. Eg rice and meat or pasta and meat.
In regard to your rest day, if your strict on your diet monday to sat then u can eat what u want on that one day, unless your training for a show. What are your goals from training as that effects your diet matey
im just after building up what i have without putting on much more weight!! i weigh 13stone and im 5"6
Old 14-09-2011, 03:58 PM
oakey dokey
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Coldo
Pre Workout - I take 200mg of caffeine in tablet form along with alot of water. You ideally want low GI carbs, so slow releasing stuff like oats, apples, rice etc... Obv want 40g or more of protein so chicken, fish, eggs or whey protein.

Post Workout - When lifting, you deplete the bodys glycogen stores so you want some fast acting carbs (high GI) in the form of simple sugars to replenish the glycogen in the muscle tissue. I use maltodextrin which is a powdered carb, buy it online, just because i can easily bang it in the shake with my protein. Ive heard of people using haribo, mars bars, syrup, honey etc too, only time of the day its good to get that stuff in you really!

So protein and simple carbs after lifting.
thanks ill give it ago see what happends!